Ground improvement/works thread

7 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Kirkintilloch looking ready for Saturday. 

Cant wait, really is a lovely wee ground and being back in the town is going to be surreal!  #notdriving!

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

How will we get there? There's no train station, how many buses, how long do they take, will I have to walk, are there any hills?

Asking for a friend who can't walk far, has no pals or family, can't drive, doesn't know anybody that can, gets travel sick, has no support at all, can't ask for directions, plan a journey on the internet and doesn't have a phone to contact service providers?

I don't think Rob Roy have thought this through.

7 hours ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

Cheers Dan lol I meant what did I say that made him think that?

"the last time the bankies came along they brought 140 so I'm not to worried... or should I be?"

Very condescending post in my opinion. Hinting that was only 140 away fans when that is a perfectly good number of away fans for our level in what looks like a freezing and wet winters day too with a ground not known for having great cover from elements.

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Great to see. Been way too long since you last played in Kirkintilloch. Looking forward to visiting later in the season.

1 hour ago, Shannon said:

"the last time the bankies came along they brought 140 so I'm not to worried... or should I be?"

Very condescending post in my opinion. Hinting that was only 140 away fans when that is a perfectly good number of away fans for our level in what looks like a freezing and wet winters day too with a ground not known for having great cover from elements.

Didn't really take umbrage tbh. We may take a good few more if it's a decent day, it's opening day, few good signings etc have created a wee buzz ( as well as triggering a certain weird yin ). I was a wee bit concerned it might be 250-300 capacity where with a fair wind, we might do that ourselves never mind locals. But 500 will be fine. Be a very good game with a few well Kent faces in the opposition 

7 hours ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Didn't really take umbrage tbh. We may take a good few more if it's a decent day, it's opening day, few good signings etc have created a wee buzz ( as well as triggering a certain weird yin ). I was a wee bit concerned it might be 250-300 capacity where with a fair wind, we might do that ourselves never mind locals. But 500 will be fine. Be a very good game with a few well Kent faces in the opposition 

Locals at Gartcairn. Now that's funny. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Only CEO's and Entrepreneurs go along to enjoy the delights on offer at the MTC. At least that's what I've heard.

On 24/07/2024 at 23:03, Shannon said:

No idea how you have come to that conclusion. 140 away fans is brilliant and appreciated when they come. The guys were questioning the capacity so based on the last game etc I was simply saying if it's around the same we will be fine.

you should maybe stop looking for problems that are not there my friend.

9 hours ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

No idea how you have come to that conclusion. 140 away fans is brilliant and appreciated when they come. The guys were questioning the capacity so based on the last game etc I was simply saying if it's around the same we will be fine.

you should maybe stop looking for problems that are not there my friend.

Airdrie is 408 feet above sea level, that must make Gartcairn a wee bit higher. I wonder if there's any other around the central area that are higher?

Eta Shotts! Eta Forth...there's probably loads.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Airdrie is 408 feet above sea level, that must make Gartcairn a wee bit higher. I wonder if there's any other around the central area that are higher?

Eta Shotts! Eta Forth...there's probably loads.

Cumbernauld Colts at Ice Station Broadwood perhaps?

Surprised this hasn't been put up, unless I've missed it.

FB_IMG_1722016267754.jpg.24165c43eaf24a1d4e13dddcf5827f53.jpg

💡 LET THERE BE LIGHT 💡

The Committee can confirm that this week we submitted our Application for Membership of the Scottish FA. Further comments will be made on this in due course. 

In order to be compliant, the Club will have to outlay a significant sum of money to fund the installation of Floodlights at Bellsdale Park. As part of this, a Fundraiser has been opened to allow Supporters of the Club to donate. Donations can be made direct to the Club (contact by private message or email) or at the following link - 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/beith-juniors

Arrived here in Kirkintilloch early (I got a good rate on my vaporetto from Maryhill, as I travelled off-peak).

First impressions of the ground when peering through the fence are that it looks absolutely fantastic. I’m seriously impressed, it looks like the model of what a non-league team should be aspiring to these days. 

Floodlights, two covered stands, paved standing around all four sides, and a very smart looking clubhouse building. (Hopefully toilets with running water/soap, and a pie shop within. Sometimes those are luxury enough!)

Tonnes of car parking, not just at the ground but there’s a loads of marked bays in the streets around. Also a few electric charge points at the park.

There will be things that people will whinge about. Outwith the seated areas it is flat. A covered stepped terrace area would be a good thing to add in time, for example.

But it has been built, it looks great, and I’m sure the people of Kirkintilloch and Lenzie will be absolutely delighted to have it here.

Heading off for a wee walk along the canal now and hopefully a pub lunch somewhere before the game. Onwards!

IMG_1972.jpeg

IMG_1973.jpeg

IMG_1970.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Arrived here in Kirkintilloch early (I got a good rate on my vaporetto from Maryhill, as I travelled off-peak).

First impressions of the ground when peering through the fence are that it looks absolutely fantastic. I’m seriously impressed, it looks like the model of what a non-league team should be aspiring to these days. 

Floodlights, two covered stands, paved standing around all four sides, and a very smart looking clubhouse building. (Hopefully toilets with running water/soap, and a pie shop within. Sometimes those are luxury enough!)

Tonnes of car parking, not just at the ground but there’s a loads of marked bays in the streets around. Also a few electric charge points at the park.

There will be things that people will whinge about. Outwith the seated areas it is flat. A covered stepped terrace area would be a good thing to add in time, for example.

But it has been built, it looks great, and I’m sure the people of Kirkintilloch and Lenzie will be absolutely delighted to have it here.

Heading off for a wee walk along the canal now and hopefully a pub lunch somewhere before the game. Onwards!

IMG_1972.jpeg

IMG_1973.jpeg

IMG_1970.jpeg

If that plastic sports centre is indeed the model of what non league football should aspire to these days then the games fucked. 

Talbot,  linllithgow and irvine meadow are grounds that should be aspired to for me not these soulless cages.

1 hour ago, Thejackdaw said:

If that plastic sports centre is indeed the model of what non league football should aspire to these days then the games fucked. 

Talbot,  linllithgow and irvine meadow are grounds that should be aspired to for me not these soulless cages.

Of course they are, unfortunately it isn't financially viable to build anything like them now. In an ideal world Rob Roy would get crowds of about a thousand and could afford to stay at their old park, but they didn't and here we are.

It looks as good as you'll get these days.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

31 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

I couldn’t disagree with you any more. These kind of venues are preserving our game and giving it life for the next generations. Do you know any 10 year old kids? Have you asked them what they prefer to play on? I know a wee guy very well who can tell me the answer. It’s Astro pitches. This is what they’ve grown up with.

How do you know it is a soulless cage? You should at least give it a try before you dismiss it. It’s a million miles away in design from e.g. Gartcairn. It looks very much like a football stadium. It has a wee bit of character immediately when you see it.

I grew up in the 1980s being taken weekly to grounds like Baillieston, Pollok and Cumnock. I’ve been to literally hundreds of them. I don’t need to be given lessons in what a junior football park should look like.

But times change. Football grounds are ever more expensive to maintain and run. Our climate is getting wetter. They need to be used more than twenty times a year to pay for their upkeep. The council tax payers who funded this place will demand and expect community access.

If that means you stick a carpet down to make it functional for all then so be it.

With two teams using this ground, it will evolve and be improved over time. For Day 1, it looks pretty functional to me and I’m not having this soulless garbage.