Ground improvement/works thread

12 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I couldn’t disagree with you any more. These kind of venues are preserving our game and giving it life for the next generations. Do you know any 10 year old kids? Have you asked them what they prefer to play on? I know a wee guy very well who can tell me the answer. It’s Astro pitches. This is what they’ve grown up with.

How do you know it is a soulless cage? You should at least give it a try before you dismiss it. It’s a million miles away in design from e.g. Gartcairn. It looks very much like a football stadium. It has a wee bit of character immediately when you see it.

I grew up in the 1980s being taken weekly to grounds like Baillieston, Pollok and Cumnock. I’ve been to literally hundreds of them. I don’t need to be given lessons in what a junior football park should look like.

But times change. Football grounds are ever more expensive to maintain and run. Our climate is getting wetter. They need to be used more than twenty times a year to pay for their upkeep. The council tax payers who funded this place will demand and expect community access.

If that means you stick a carpet down to make it functional for all then so be it.

With two teams using this ground, it will evolve and be improved over time. For Day 1, it looks pretty functional to me and I’m not having this soulless garbage.

You cite these cages and plastic as almost a necessity to survive.  Clubs have survived for well over a century without it . There would have been far worse winters in the 60s/70s/80s when astro turfs were barely in existence.  

Kids always grew up with grass and it was never ever a problem and it produced amazing players in this country and kids nowadays will of course give plastic the nod as they're kicking their first balls out of them sadly due to how these cages have took over . Too many cages these days and not for me and loads of others . 

I get the KRR situation and it's nice to see them back in their hometown but let's not forget that they absolutely hammered money at it to win things under Jimmy Lindsay straight after the sale of the excellent adamslie Park and that was a big part of their demise.

34 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I couldn’t disagree with you any more. These kind of venues are preserving our game and giving it life for the next generations. Do you know any 10 year old kids? Have you asked them what they prefer to play on? I know a wee guy very well who can tell me the answer. It’s Astro pitches. This is what they’ve grown up with.

How do you know it is a soulless cage? You should at least give it a try before you dismiss it. It’s a million miles away in design from e.g. Gartcairn. It looks very much like a football stadium. It has a wee bit of character immediately when you see it.

I grew up in the 1980s being taken weekly to grounds like Baillieston, Pollok and Cumnock. I’ve been to literally hundreds of them. I don’t need to be given lessons in what a junior football park should look like.

But times change. Football grounds are ever more expensive to maintain and run. Our climate is getting wetter. They need to be used more than twenty times a year to pay for their upkeep. The council tax payers who funded this place will demand and expect community access.

If that means you stick a carpet down to make it functional for all then so be it.

With two teams using this ground, it will evolve and be improved over time. For Day 1, it looks pretty functional to me and I’m not having this soulless garbage.

Let's be honest people with these deluded views are in a tiny dying minority. Football is about people , community , tradition of football in a town . The heart and soul of the game is in the people , the fans , the committee playing in it's hometown and offering the community something. These place with new modern facilities gives clubs who need a reboot and a chance to reinvigorate themselves and grow into the future for another 100 years. 

Btw from what i have seen in passing the last thing it is is a soulless cage this is just low IQ throwaway comments that in reality mean very little.

As far as i know improvements are being planned ( hospitality area for example serving alcohol - currently place will serve food throughout game inside ground so i read ) and with the charity running the stadium being in effect RRFC and them having funds from the sale of the old park the future for them should be bright.

As someone from kirky said they would have taken playing on a red ash park if it meant the club continuing and playing in it's hometown.

You either adapt of die clutching to the 'old ways' leaving your club and town without a football team .

Btw the canal  , marina and main street being fairly close by give it a fairly central hub feel .

Edited by Parkranger

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Of course they are, unfortunately it isn't financially viable to build anything like them now. In an ideal world Rob Roy would get crowds of about a thousand and could afford to stay at their old park, but they didn't and here we are.

It looks as good as you'll get these days.

It's equally unviable to maintain those sorts of grounds, unless the club has gates of (at a guess) 4-500+, or regular cup runs. There's no more than a handful can actually do this. I spent a year going to Linlithgow Rose games just for a bit of a change, and enjoyed both the football itself and the atmosphere. It's a great ground, but they can afford to maintain it. The vast majority can't.

Rob Roy's new ground is not a "cage" as I understand the term, and looks easily expandable. If the crowds come back and they need greater capacity, it should be easy enough to do. Stepped terracing to improve the punters view makes economic sense, but I imagine is expensive initially. It seems like a good starting point, and is surely better than not having a club in the town.

Define “cage”.

Cracking view over towards the Campsie Fells (possibly) from the concrete factory end.

Sam North is in attendance and he will give you all a guided tour on You Tube later.

Toilets have hot running water, soap and hand dryers. Once they found the key for the gents, I enjoyed visiting them.

Meanwhile a game of fitba has broken out, Rob Roy have taken an early lead.

IMG_1990.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Define “cage”.

Cracking view over towards the Campsie Fells (possibly) from the concrete factory end.

Sam North is in attendance and he will give you all a guided tour on You Tube later.

Toilets have hot running water, soap and hand dryers. Once they found the key for the gents, I enjoyed visiting them.

IMG_1990.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

Looks great, crowd estimate?

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Looks great, crowd estimate?

I’m not as good as Falkirk fans at counting football crowds, but I’d say roughly 550. (No doubt wildly inaccurate.)

It’s definitely easier to count crowds at Campbeltown games…

EDIT - to prove my point, the crowd has just been announced as 833! Would you believe I am an accountant by profession? I don’t count numbers, I fudge ‘em.

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC
Very bad attempt at a headcount

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Define “cage”.

IMG_1990.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

Great day for the club. 

Excellent facilities. 

Big crowd. 

Sense of occasion. 

Tense nervy game but dramatic also. 

Was told hospitality area for alcohol etc will be in the space next to pavilion sooner rather than later. 

Add couple of areas of terracing for elevated view and you have a cracking wee ground. 

Thanks for taking a pic of me Le Tout P'ti FC.

Yeah its a nice ground though I'm not sure EDC would allow expansions (let alone sponsorship etc) but I'm not in the know.

Shame KRR doesn't seem to have a midfield. Good result but lots of players (on both sides) seemingly panicking on the ball.

Hope the 833 attendance is something KRR can build on, and hope the fans can bring some more atmosphere to the game (of course dependent on what they see on the pitch).

19 minutes ago, Pareidolia said:

Thanks for taking a pic of me Le Tout P'ti FC.

Yeah its a nice ground though I'm not sure EDC would allow expansions (let alone sponsorship etc) but I'm not in the know.

Shame KRR doesn't seem to have a midfield. Good result but lots of players (on both sides) seemingly panicking on the ball.

Hope the 833 attendance is something KRR can build on, and hope the fans can bring some more atmosphere to the game (of course dependent on what they see on the pitch).

Had some  sponsorship on the stadium today and loads of things added to the matchday experience by the club and that's them only just in. 

Along with Rob Roy either funding improvements and or with grants cant see the council refusing upgrades to an already good venue. 

That was the teams first time playing on the new big pitch which seemed to catch them out with distances between defence and midfield and attack something you'd hope will improve over time. 

Considering how bad a predicament the club have been in for many years today was for sure a great day for the club. 

4 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

For a modern "community" style of ground - Rob Roy's new digs look absolutely perfect.

Some of you just like to moan for the sake of it.

Looking at a club who has been homeless for years, and even before that played in a pretty horrible and cold pitch about a mile away from the town itself, finally get a home pitch and shown by the attendance get the local community behind them, and your first reaction is to moan about the surface of the pitch is just being a luddite there is no other way around it. 

Just now, Pollok mad said:

Looking at a club who has been homeless for years, and even before that played in a pretty horrible and cold pitch about a mile away from the town itself, finally get a home pitch and shown by the attendance get the local community behind them, and your first reaction is to moan about the surface of the pitch is just being a luddite there is no other way around it. 

Plastic pitches are horrendous.

3 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Plastic pitches are horrendous.

Every single one of the worst pitches I've been to at this level have been grass, Kirky for one were playing on a far worse surface at Cumbernauld than a brand new astro park. Ideally every team would have a great grass pitch like ours or yourselves but that just isn't realistic for a variety of reasons. The alternative to these astro pitches isn't lovely well maintained grass pitches, they are horrible mud baths 

Edited by Pollok mad

9 minutes ago, Pollok mad said:

Every single one of the worst pitches I've been to at this level have been grass, Kirky for one were playing on a far worse surface at Cumbernauld than a brand new astro park. Ideally every team would have a great grass pitch like ours or yourselves but that just isn't realistic for a variety of reasons. The alternative to these astro pitches isn't lovely well maintained grass pitches, they are horrible mud baths 

Id rather watch a game on a poor pitch than a plastic pitch.

If Talbot ever went plastic i wouldn't be back.

8 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Id rather watch a game on a poor pitch than a plastic pitch.

If Talbot ever went plastic i wouldn't be back.

Take a night off, the village can do without their idiot for a bit

Half the clubs in the premier have plastic pitches, seems a strange level of football to be into if thats your stance...

Edited by KirkyRobRoy