South Region Challenge Cup 2020-21

13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

At least the SJC provided a route to the SC. This brings nothing but a token cup competition sidebar interest to an impossibly packed league season. A league which provides progression previously lacking in the Juniors. Ergo, this cup is an irrelevance (as would the SJC have been latterly without entrance to the SC).

It was a spin-off of the old Qualifying Cups so the majority of entrants from inception were already SFA members and it never needed the carrot of Scottish Cup entry. From 2016-17 the South & East Cup Winners Shield was created to provide non-league Senior teams who were not members of the SFA a chance to qualify for the Scottish Cup.

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

I was wondering if he included Scottish cup and Scottish Junior cup in his list of get to **** cups for the season, as he said he felt the same about every cups so hat was fair enough. 

if its true that there will only be the SSC then it has to be but the Scottish senior cup will obviously take precedence.
the Scottish junior cup is not part of the Lowland association so if the stop the other domestic cups from happening to make space then im sure the SJC wont happen either

Just as pretending the SCC is worthless is offbase, so is this. If you are in a wee town or village in Ayrshire or West Lothian there have always been a lot of people who only really pay close attention to their local junior club when the SJC or a big local derby is involved and the rest of the time tend to mainly pay attention to one of the Old Firm or another SPFL club.
Good luck transferring that sort interest to the SCC any time soon when you first have to explain what it is because a lot of people are still largely unfamiliar with the Lowland League. Good luck getting 5000+ out for the SCC final and live coverage on BBC Alba when it isn't nationally branded. It makes sense to merge the two together to keep that going rather than try to kill the SJC due to ongoing mania some people have over the grade concept.

You do know the only reason it was on Alba was that the SJFA paid for it.

7 minutes ago, Chis said:

Is it correct that the away teams in this competition only receive a payment towards team bus cost and home teams keep gate money after paying match officials or is it different in this competition?

No idea if the rules have been changed for 2020-21, but yes that has been the case previously.

Travel expenses have been:

• £300 when the distance is more than 120 miles
  • £250 when the distance is more than 100 miles and no greater than 120 miles
  • £200 when the distance is more than 80 miles and no greater than 100 miles
  • £150 when the distance is more than 50 miles and no greater than 80 miles
  • £0 when the distance is 50 miles or less.

14 minutes ago, andy25 said:

At the moment...

Yeah of course, I think we all want fans back.
I cant see any team continuing easily for a season without fans, certainly from the Lowland league down.

I cant see fans being back in October the way all these covid spikes are happening and then we have to wait on the tests with the top teams

15 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

No idea if the rules have been changed for 2020-21, but yes that has been the case previously.

Travel expenses have been:

• £300 when the distance is more than 120 miles
  • £250 when the distance is more than 100 miles and no greater than 120 miles
  • £200 when the distance is more than 80 miles and no greater than 100 miles
  • £150 when the distance is more than 50 miles and no greater than 80 miles
  • £0 when the distance is 50 miles or less.

Not a great way to support smaller Clubs.

Just now, Chis said:

Not a great way to support smaller Clubs.

Smaller club plays smaller club. Struggles to get 50 people through, assuming they're actually paying the typical £5 = maximum £250. Home team has to cover the ref and two assistants = £105. Leaves home team with £145 and as long as the away side is from 50+ miles they get £150+.

Smaller team draws a well supported team at home = They pocket all the money.

Smaller team draws a well supported team away = They potentially miss out.

Have to laugh at those all high and mighty and above the junior grade now types now failing terribly trying to make this out to something it isn't.

Decades and decades of history and tradition create the buzz and feeling of the junior cup and did so up until the season just past despite what the anoraks say.

Communities get behind the junior cup that is not in dispute that simply can't be replicated elsewhere translate to .

For example junior cup final 2000 3000 plus will turn out for a club like glenafton, this competition no chance its like a regional cup final 400 or 500 tops for a final. 

Side note the smaller clubs well and truly shafted by this actually the away team full stop,  rules made by god knows who with junior clubs now having to be subjected to it shocking. 

Edited by rncaa

Correct

I certainly remember SJFA financials mentioning payments to Alba. Not saying it covered all there costs btw but the fact remains when they were going to pull out several years ago the SJFA helped them keep broadcasting it.

Personally don’t see what the big deal is with all this the SSC is better than the Scottish. I loved the Scottish growing up and it gave me some of my best and worst time as an Arthurlie fan and committee member. The Scottish was a great competition until the mergers of the leagues and the big days out to Ayrshire became weekly games. It was further devalued when many of the east clubs left. Still I wouldn’t have cared, if we had ever won it during that time I would have celebrated as much as I did in 98.

There is no comparison between the 2 imo one is a national competition and the other is a regional one.

At the end of the day who really cares and those that are trying to revisit history. If you weren’t happy to take part then why did you allow your club to move?