Walking Down the Beechwood Road mk 2

On 28/05/2023 at 06:02, Thejackdaw said:

Well I was told that del esplin was on £350/£390 a week at pollok before Johnstone burgh took him away from you so that's a lot more than ' fairly well ' in my book .

Carlo Monti wasn't on much below that at Beith last season Jackdaw.

1 hour ago, Mystic Blastie said:

Carlo Monti wasn't on much below that at Beith last season Jackdaw.

Aye no bother 😅

Just you boys down the valley keep on paying off wee scullion's mortgage  for him with very little return. ( apart from the odd world class free kick )😆

On 27/05/2023 at 21:31, Shannon said:

If clubs start trying to compete with the wages offered at Darvel, Pollok and now St Cadocs it will get clubs into a lot of trouble and will end up in financial difficulties. Just have to let them get on with it and as a Meadow fan I know you are after a couple of our players who have done well for a few years and have been watched by you guys over a long period of time.

Speaking to a player on Sunday at our game who shall remain nameless but he's been offered a 5k signing on fee and £600 pw by a club not even in the top division.

He might have been bullshitting but that's crazy money if true.

This afternoon told the club are to pay some man hundred of pounds per game to hire camera people and do the social medias.believed this to be a joke at first.money better spent on keeping the iconic club captain and getting new players.to many hingers on calling the shots and spending others moneys in my view. 

3 hours ago, santheman said:

Speaking to a player on Sunday at our game who shall remain nameless but he's been offered a 5k signing on fee and £600 pw by a club not even in the top division.

He might have been bullshitting but that's crazy money if true.

Who's on that money?

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont know about the signing on fees but ive heard about similar sums being offered by some teams. I work with a few guys who play football at spfl2-wosl division 2 and most of them speak quite openly about what they are being offered at various clubs. 

Madness,  no wonder players are leaving,  cant compete with those wages

3 minutes ago, Talbot supporter said:

Madness,  no wonder players are leaving,  cant compete with those wages

As much as im not the biggest Talbot fan ever the thing about clubs like yours and my own is they will persevere and are built on sustainability rather than these flash in the pan teams. So even if you guys have a bit of a ‘rebuild’ season im sure you would be mid table at worst and probably bounce back. These teams offering the mad money wont do so long term. 

The escalation in wages reminds me of the Scottish Premiership spending when it had lucrative TV deals and look how that ended. Teams that have money put into them by benefactors rarely if ever ends well. Can’t blame players for taking the money. It’s those running unsustainable budgets at clubs that are the issue. Let’s see how it all ends at Darvel, Johnstone Burgh or wherever. If it is unsustainable it will come home to roost eventually. 

5 minutes ago, Rugbyroader said:

The escalation in wages reminds me of the Scottish Premiership spending when it had lucrative TV deals and look how that ended. Teams that have money put into them by benefactors rarely if ever ends well. Can’t blame players for taking the money. It’s those running unsustainable budgets at clubs that are the issue. Let’s see how it all ends at Darvel, Johnstone Burgh or wherever. If it is unsustainable it will come home to roost eventually. 

Dont get me wrong if i ever won the lottery the second team id buy would be my own team (after i bought airdrie changed their name and fielded a team wearing clown make up for a season to enjoy) and id bank roll the shit out of my team. But yes in the real world its mental money for part time football. Guys getting £600 a week part time are essentially on £31k a year plus whatever bonus and signing on they get, I know some clubs were offering £5k and 2/3k at xmas. Its no wonder people take that money because if its topping up a full time wage then these guys can be mortgage free before the end of their Football career, that kind of financial stability is a no brainer. 

Got to agree that players need to make hay while the sun shines. It could all be curtailed by one bad injury at any time. I've no idea about the circumstances surrounding Andy leaving Talbot but I don't think for a minute Talbot could offer him anything like the package Darvel could without leaving themselves short elsewhere. Talbot seem to be getting a bit of a backlash from some fans about this but I'm not sure what else could reasonably have been done. 

19 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

Aye no bother 😅

Just you boys down the valley keep on paying off wee scullion's mortgage  for him with very little return. ( apart from the odd world class free kick )😆

Aye and their getting rarer and rarer. Your right he's our top earner but he was on less than half Monti was on. We cannae afford film star wages. If anybody deserved an over the top wage this season it was James Marks (Slick) Top scorer in the division at 40 years old.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont get me wrong if i ever won the lottery the second team id buy would be my own team (after i bought airdrie changed their name and fielded a team wearing clown make up for a season to enjoy) and id bank roll the shit out of my team. But yes in the real world its mental money for part time football. Guys getting £600 a week part time are essentially on £31k a year plus whatever bonus and signing on they get, I know some clubs were offering £5k and 2/3k at xmas. Its no wonder people take that money because if its topping up a full time wage then these guys can be mortgage free before the end of their Football career, that kind of financial stability is a no brainer. 

I think where the sensible clubs like beith /Talbot/Clydebank/meadow/largs etc can restore a certain degree of parity with the darvels/ Johnstone burghs/st cadocs /Pollock's is in dealing with guys who have a good first job/ good career/ academic guys , these players could live comfortable enough without the mad shot Money being offered to kick a Baw at our level and could maybe resist it .

Conversely though a player who's first job Is maybe on a zero hour contract/ minimum wage / a lesser guy academically then they really could  be jumping at the crazy signing on fees and wages that are on offer , there's never been a better time financially for players to play at our level and it's obscene,  however the bubble will burst like it has done before and always will do as it's simply not sustainable.  

Edited by Thejackdaw

20 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

I think where the sensible clubs like beith /Talbot/Clydebank/meadow/largs etc can restore a certain degree of parity with the darvels/ Johnstone burghs/st cadocs /Pollock's is in dealing with guys who have a good first job/ good career/ academic guys , these players could live comfortable enough without the mad shot Money being offered to kick a Baw at our level and could maybe resist it .

Conversely though a player who's first job Is maybe on a zero hour contract/ minimum wage / a lesser guy academically then they really could  be jumping at the crazy signing on fees and wages that are on offer , there's never been a better time financially for players to play at our level and it's obscene,  however the bubble will burst like it has done before and always will do as it's simply not sustainable.  

Putting the team with some of the highest attendances in the grade in with Darvel, Johnstone Burgh and St Cadoc's is a level of bitterness that I can only respect