Team of the Season

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

How shite was Ralston in the end? Think he had quite a rough time initially, For a young full Back he isn't the fastest and quite injury prone. We have two quality right backs now but one is even more injury prone than him so can see him being kept with us next season.

Very.

Very  very shite and I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up a league 2 in England jobber. Slow, rash and always out of position, never in a month of Sundays making it at Celtic. 

On 04/05/2020 at 13:04, TheScarf said:

Only moronic simpletons can't see how effective Liam Polworth is.  Looks like there's moronic simpletons who support Motherwell as well as The Caley.

Very much this. All clubs have fans who rate workhorses ahead of skill. 

Liam Grimshaw is an example of this at Motherwell. I like Grimmy but it is his effort rather than his ability that stands out. Sometimes the former makes up for the latter but often it does not. 

Polworth is a class act. But like ICT fans before and some Well fans now because he does not run around like a Duracell bunny he is classed as providing a lack of effort at times. Anyone who can provide 15+ assists a a season is worth their weight in gold. 

What stops him from being in team of the year is his finishing. If he added that to his locker he would be offski down south and may still be. I remember seeing a miss away at Ross County and simply thinking how could such a skilful player not even get such an easy chance on target !

Anyway delighted he is with us and is only marginally behind Gallacher as the signing of last season. 

20 hours ago, gannonball said:

How shite was Ralston in the end? Think he had quite a rough time initially, For a young full Back he isn't the fastest and quite injury prone. We have two quality right backs now but one is even more injury prone than him so can see him being kept with us next season.

Frimpong is one of the best right backs I've ever seen in the SPL.

10 minutes ago, Vancouver_Don said:

Frimpong is one of the best right backs I've ever seen in the SPL.

Yeah he looks to be a real find. Still raw but you would expect that for 18 year old who had never played competitive senior football. Whilst his pace is frightening he is also deceptively strong for his build.
Hows that South American right back been? 

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Yeah he looks to be a real find. Still raw but you would expect that for 18 year old who had never played competitive senior football. Whilst his pace is frightening he is also deceptively strong for his build.
Hows that South American right back been? 

Celtic paid less than a million for Frimpong. That's got to be the signing of the season.

Ronald Hernandez - He's played the best part of 15 mins of football for us. Rumours are we paid 800k for the lad which for any club outside the OF is substantial. He's got 15 caps for Venezuela so he must be half decent. I'm quite excited to see him feature more this coming season. If he's as good as he appears on paper, he won't be with us long.

Edited by Vancouver_Don

Very much this. All clubs have fans who rate workhorses ahead of skill. 
Liam Grimshaw is an example of this at Motherwell. I like Grimmy but it is his effort rather than his ability that stands out. Sometimes the former makes up for the latter but often it does not. 
Polworth is a class act. But like ICT fans before and some Well fans now because he does not run around like a Duracell bunny he is classed as providing a lack of effort at times. Anyone who can provide 15+ assists a a season is worth their weight in gold. 
What stops him from being in team of the year is his finishing. If he added that to his locker he would be offski down south and may still be. I remember seeing a miss away at Ross County and simply thinking how could such a skilful player not even get such an easy chance on target !
Anyway delighted he is with us and is only marginally behind Gallacher as the signing of last season. 

Both are very much needed. Can't have a skilled player if there's not a workhorse beside him.

For what it's worth I think Polworth is genuine quality but I also love a midfielder who just does the simple stuff - takes the ball off an opposition player and passes it five yards to someone who can do something with it.

Ali McCann is maybe a good example of someone who can do both. He's a nippy shite and wins the ball cleanly more often than not.... sometimes it's just a stab to a team mate who then starts a counter and sometimes McCann plays a worldly. There's not too many like that, Polworth is probably close though.

1 hour ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Both are very much needed. Can't have a skilled player if there's not a workhorse beside him.

For what it's worth I think Polworth is genuine quality but I also love a midfielder who just does the simple stuff - takes the ball off an opposition player and passes it five yards to someone who can do something with it.

Ali McCann is maybe a good example of someone who can do both. He's a nippy shite and wins the ball cleanly more often than not.... sometimes it's just a stab to a team mate who then starts a counter and sometimes McCann plays a worldly. There's not too many like that, Polworth is probably close though.

Sounds like your describing Alan Power for Killie as well......

On 09/06/2020 at 19:55, Vancouver_Don said:

Celtic paid less than a million for Frimpong. That's got to be the signing of the season.

Aye I’m sure an 18 year old who they paid more for than any other club in Scotland (outwith the two OF sides) have spent on any player for 20 years was a real find. Incredible signing.

37 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Aye I’m sure an 18 year old who they paid more for than any other club in Scotland (outwith the two OF sides) have spent on any player for 20 years was a real find. Incredible signing.

Aberdeen spent 850k on Hernandez in January. Hearts spent a record fee of 850k Mirsad Beslija. Both in the last 20 years. The point being the lad looks like he could potential go and play for an elite european side and 800k thats a fantastic signing. He'll profit them a fair fee.

Aberdeen spent 850k on Hernandez in January. Hearts spent a record fee of 850k Mirsad Beslija. Both in the last 20 years. The point being the lad looks like he could potential go and play for an elite european side and 800k thats a fantastic signing. He'll profit them a fair fee.
Taking OF disliking specs off, and God knows I have a few pairs, there's no doubt Frimpong was a great piece of business by Celtic.

On 09/06/2020 at 12:32, welldaft said:

That's as good an assessment as Polworth as I have seen. 15 assists in all competitions is fantastic and to go a bit deeper than that, there were a lot of times where he had what you might call secondary assists, where Gallagher would head his corners or free-kicks onto the eventual scorers. His weight of pass in open play is fantastic too and even though he doesn't charge about like Campbell or Grimshaw, I think his work-rate is actually very good.

Agreed regarding his finishing - I can't remember the particular chance you are talking about - but I do remember him going one-on-one at Rugby Park a few days before Christmas and wondering how he managed to not score.

We were heavily linked with Polworth in the early days of Alan Stubbs. There was talk of a player swap between us and ICT and nothing ever came of it. I said at the time that he was a player I'd be bending over backwards to try and get and nothing I've seen of him since has changed my opinion of that.

Classy footballer.

I often wonder how ours and Motherwell's seasons would have differed if instead of them getting Polworth and Gallagher, they signed Vihmann and Holt instead. I suspect the same thing might have happened but roles reversed, which just goes to show the difference a couple of players can make to a team. 

15 hours ago, Widge said:

I often wonder how ours and Motherwell's seasons would have differed if instead of them getting Polworth and Gallagher, they signed Vihmann and Holt instead. I suspect the same thing might have happened but roles reversed, which just goes to show the difference a couple of players can make to a team. 

Big fan of McCann at Saints. After a couple of tweaks, like you say, the final league position could be a lot higher. Gallagher’s level was excellent even during Motherwell’s post-Christmas, relegation form. Surely deserved a spot in TOTS?! (Wonder if Turnbull would’ve been back in time to plug the gap left by Scott.. )

Edited by crispy