The Dundee United Thread 22/23

48 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

For the masochists amongst us, check out the list of January signings we have made the last few seasons (courtesy of the legends at the Arab Archive).  Some truly woeful signings:

Craig Slater, Emil Lyng, Brandon Mason, Alassan Jones, Idris Kadded, Logan Martin and Grant Gillespie.

Aidan Nesbitt, Ian Harkes, Ross Laidlaw, Charlie Seaman, Peter Pawlett, Osman Sow, Mark Connolly and Mark Reynolds.  We also re-signed Cammy Smith.

Dillon Powers and Keiran Freeman.

Arguably, 2021 has been better than any of the above...

Looking at some of these names makes you wonder. I got wind of the news that Emil Lyng is now playing for Middlefart.

Calum Butcher signed in January 2019 as well, and has probably been the most influential of the January transfer window signings. But you're right, United have possibly had an more effective window in 2021 as the previous 3 attempts.  

I would argue that the January 2019 was needed. Okay some of the individual players were rubbish at the time and some turned out to be just ‘decent’ in the Championship (and have now been found out), but the club and the fans needed a January window like that to get the mood and optimism at the club back on track after Laszlo. It was Neilson + Ogren’s first window so they needed to be seen to make a difference and I do remember there being a significantly more optimistic mood amongst the support for the games after the window closed.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

For the masochists amongst us, check out the list of January signings we have made the last few seasons (courtesy of the legends at the Arab Archive).  Some truly woeful signings:

Craig Slater, Emil Lyng, Brandon Mason, Alassan Jones, Idris Kadded, Logan Martin and Grant Gillespie.

Have I wiped this lot from memory? WTF!

Just now, mishtergrolsch said:

Unfortunately for him, no.

Ah okay did see yesterday Leicester had made a bid.Kerr Smith will hopefully get a chance with you guys as well been on the bench recently good prospect am told.

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Calum Butcher signed in January 2019 as well, and has probably been the most influential of the January transfer window signings. But you're right, United have possibly had an more effective window in 2021 as the previous 3 attempts.  

You're right - the Arab Archive only had his (and Cammy Smith's) original signing date as they date they joined.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

No.

I did warn you!

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I would argue that the January 2019 was needed. Okay some of the individual players were rubbish at the time and some turned out to be just ‘decent’ in the Championship (and have now been found out), but the club and the fans needed a January window like that to get the mood and optimism at the club back on track after Laszlo.

It may well have been needed, but it was short-sighted and overall very poor - they were signed on Premiership wages with a view to us returning to the Premiership, and it is hard to argue that any (perhaps with the exception of Callum Butcher, but even then I'm far from convinced) have justified themselves or their ludicrous pay packets.  The length of some of the contracts handed out seems crazy, too - we have Mark Reynolds until he will just have turned 35!

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Have I wiped this lot from memory? WTF!

With good reason.  Those 7 managed a grand total of 33 appearances (and that includes their substitute appearances...).  Brandon Mason has gone on to do okay, but the rest...

20 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Ah okay did see yesterday Leicester had made a bid.Kerr Smith will hopefully get a chance with you guys as well been on the bench recently good prospect am told.

Hopefully these guys can make the step up. This current run of form we're on isn't the best time to blood youngsters as it could easily destroy them, as has happened over the years.

Centre half is a really difficult position to blood a youngster as too as often mistakes will lead directly to chances if not goals.

If we can get to the end of the season and build a better, stronger squad then these guys could compliment that with some youthful dynamics.

If someone comes in with a semi decent bid then they will be sold and I guess, in a way, I'm fine with that because they aren't always guaranteed to make it and the club does need the cash. 

The last Centre half we brought through was Garry Kenneth i think,  but who was before that? (David McCracken dosent count)

3 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

I did warn you!

Indeed you did. I've almost got the bleach out of my system from from 2020s window so this has indeed been a well needed dry January!

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

You're forgetting John Souttar (and arguably Harry, although he was off before making an impact).

I'd still say he was more suited to midfield. It was squeaky bum time when he had to do anything other than gallop forwards with the ball. Which he was beautifully adept at doing. As a defender, christ no. Not with us anyway.

Harry didn't develop into a first team player so he dosent count.

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Aidan Nesbitt, Ian Harkes, Ross Laidlaw, Charlie Seaman, Peter Pawlett, Osman Sow, Mark Connolly and Mark Reynolds.  We also re-signed Cammy Smith.

Dillon Powers and Keiran Freeman.

Arguably, 2021 has been better than any of the above...

Dunno what I was doing in 2018 but I only remember one of those signings! Fuuuu

13 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd still say he was more suited to midfield. It was squeaky bum time when he had to do anything other than gallop forwards with the ball. Which he was beautifully adept at doing. As a defender, christ no. Not with us anyway.

Harry didn't develop into a first team player so he dosent count.

John's an international centre half and played the vast majority of his games at United in that position (before being hung out to dry by successive managers who didn't know how to coach him). Harry's also an international centre half and was a first team player (albeit just for a few weeks) before he was sold. 

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

John's an international centre half and played the vast majority of his games at United in that position (before being hung out to dry by successive managers who didn't know how to coach him). Harry's also an international centre half and was a first team player (albeit just for a few weeks) before he was sold. 

John was a defensive bombscare and was more suited to midfield at that time. Hes probably less of a bombscare now as hes been coached and managed properly. I've very rarely watched him since he left tbh.

Harry played 2 games I think before being sold so we can't really say he made a convincing breakthrough as he was gone before establishing himself but he probably would have done so before moving on.

Anyway, even if we include the Souttars, its still not a great number of centre halfs we have produced in the last 15 years or so.

1 hour ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Dunno what I was doing in 2018 but I only remember one of those signings! Fuuuu

That's because Alassan Jones was signed for youth team, Kaddad & Martin were signed on Amatuer status short term made 2 appearances before leaving. 

Brandon Mason made his debut in the Falkirk debacle. 

Only the other 3 played much. Slater was a big disappointment as I had high hopes for him.