The Dundee United Thread 22/23

The only thing that bothers me here, is what this means for preparation for next season, and how we approach signings before the season is supposed to start.

It will take some time to appoint a new manager and then, we will be playing catchup in terms of signing etc, as cannot imagine we will be moving forward in this area until we get a new manager in, who will have ideas of his own. Hopefully we pursue Nisbet as planned, however, Hearts’ current actions are putting that in jeopardy as well, and whilst there is any shadow of a doubt where we are playing next year, there could be issues in attracting the manager we want, as well as players.

As for Neilson, job done as planned last year, and I appreciate that, but to f**k off to the club (at a moment’s notice) who are actively trying to make everything he did last season meaningless, seems odd to me, and I am perturbed by the reasoning behind this.

As for Budge. Go and f**k yourself you rancid wrinkly old witch......

I have no idea what to do. 

This is actually hilarious.

Manager who plays terrible football gets us promoted then fucks off to the team he was previously chased out of for playing terrible football who are getting relegated into the league hes spent the last season and a half trying to get out of...

Win win for us imo. 

Shot of Robbie for cash and new bloke to take us on into the top league.

7 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I have no idea what to do. 

This is actually hilarious.

Manager who plays terrible football gets us promoted then fucks off to the team he was previously chased out of for playing terrible football who are getting relegated into the league hes spent the last season and a half trying to get out of...

Win win for us imo. 

Shot of Robbie for cash and new bloke to take us on into the top league.

The timing isn't great though, is it?  Just as a manager should be building a team for the season ahead and some (small) degree of uncertainty about where Utd will be playing next season which may discourage a half-decent target manager. 

I admire the stoic way Utd fans seem to have taken this bombshell news - no doubt based on the usual football fan's belief that the next appointment will be a major upgrade.  Let's see.

I admire the stoic way Utd fans seem to have taken this bombshell news - no doubt based on the usual football fan's belief that the next appointment will be a major upgrade.  Let's see.

I think it's based on the fact that not many of us actually cared that much for Robbie Neilson as a football coach. His time was probably coming soon enough. He's probably jumped before he was pushed. Looking over social media since the news broke tells me more are bothered about the timing rather than the fact we've lost our manager. It's still an attractive job for many reasons regardless of what league we're playing in. Interesting times.

The timing and the current circus following Scottish football make the departure a bit rubbish/a shock, but Neilson leaving isn’t in itself a big issue. I’d be more frustrated (as is now being reported) that we lose McCulloch and Forrest. Felt like we had a bit of stability within the coaching setup and they were more Asghar appointments rather than Neilson’s (certainly Forrest was).

Finding a whole new coaching team isn’t ideal given the club banging on about this whole ‘project’ but I suppose if it is to happen then the start of the summer isn’t the worst time to have to do it.

Care to expand? 

I’d imagine it will be pretty well paid and we seemingly have owners who are willing to invest in the team. A pretty positive vibe at the club with no in-fighting or club politics. Ogren et al may well ditch us at some point but in the short-term I think it probably is quite an attractive job.

7 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

Ok, I'll type this slowly for you ok.

There will be plenty of people interested in this job as Dundee United are still one of Scotland's big clubs regardless of the league they will be playing in.

What difference would it make if you typed it faster? 

10 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I’d imagine it will be pretty well paid and we seemingly have owners who are willing to invest in the team. A pretty positive vibe at the club with no in-fighting or club politics. Ogren et al may well ditch us at some point but in the short-term I think it probably is quite an attractive job.

I'd imagine it is quite a well paid gig. It's one with quite a big rebuild needed though. 

I just wanted to see Jock write "We R 1 ov da big teams in Scutland" again, tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Wait, United fans actually think they're a big team? I thought that was a tongue in cheek wind up from Dundee fans...

Well, they are in the Premiership. (Currently, at least.) And Hearts aren't.