The Dundee United Thread 22/23

52 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Courts clearly putting out strongest lineup possible, doesn’t want to get hammered for losing his first game. The youngsters can wait. 

I think that's fair enough. He can't win with a lot of folk currently. If he plays a load of young players he'll get slaughtered for being naive and a yes man; if he goes with last year's personnel he'll get slaughtered for not playing the youngsters. Best just to win the game and worry about the optics later. His job will become a lot easier if he wins every game in the group. 

All youngsters on the bench and a young guy making his debut in his natural position rather than playing another player out of position. That seems sensible. Micky started last season doing that too and was rightly applauded for it. 

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

Courts clearly putting out strongest lineup possible, doesn’t want to get hammered for losing his first game. The youngsters can wait. 

Surprised he didn't play a back 4 with Mulgrew or Reynolds on the left.

I'm presuming he's a 3 at the back man.

Edit to add: Or simply reflecting the fact we have no wide players!

Edited by ArabFC

C'mon now guys, thats the first game under the new regime. New manager fresh ideas here. Lets not be too harsh.

I mean, it was mostly the same team as last season, similar tactics to Mellon...same old Pawlett...............same old Harkes..................

Wait....I thought we were getting better football?

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

C'mon now guys, thats the first game under the new regime. New manager fresh ideas here. Lets not be too harsh.

I mean, it was mostly the same team as last season, similar tactics to Mellon...same old Pawlett...............same old Harkes..................

Wait....I thought we were getting better football?

Shankland scored.... that value just went up again..

46 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Chalmers v Pawlett night and day.

I don't care if we are paying Pawlett in cola bottles he isn't good enough to play for the team and offers nothing

Correct.

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm getting soft in my old age but I think you get a 9/10 from Harkes every single week. Frightening consistency.

I just think that's how good he is 

I can’t work out if that’s irony or you’re drunk.

24 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The point I'm making is I think he turns in his best performance every week. I just think he is shite.

I agree. Harkes 9/10 level is equivalent to a 3/10 performance for a regular plodding midfielder, a Mark Kerr type if you will.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The point I'm making is I think he turns in his best performance every week. I just think he is shite.

Yeah, I’d agree with that.

Re: Pawlett, the contract extension is negligent.

Courts will have breathed a sigh of relief after last night’s result; so will fat Tony if he’s got any sense.

It’s early days in the season and we have to see if and when Courts’ ideas and influence kicks in, but last night was not a step up on our performances of last season and that’s a worry.  I genuinely think Kelty Hearts looked the better team over the 90 minutes.

39 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Courts will have breathed a sigh of relief after last night’s result; so will fat Tony if he’s got any sense.

It’s early days in the season and we have to see if and when Courts’ ideas and influence kicks in, but last night was not a step up on our performances of last season and that’s a worry.  I genuinely think Kelty Hearts looked the better team over the 90 minutes.

Its almost as if the majority of the players aren't good enough, regardless of who the manager is.

Recruitment has been diabolical the last few years.

There's still time to fix the lack of creativity in middle of midfield, which I think is the biggest problem we have (along with no pace or wingers)

But...

Recruitment has been diabolical the last few years...so...