The Dundee United Thread 22/23

12 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Does Ogren pocket most of that? 

Nae idea on that front. I'd assume some of it goes back to Mr O. 

Tbh I think this is a sign of things to come, we're now consistently over the last 10-15 years selling some of our academy graduates or youth we've signed for decent amounts. 

The ones which will bear the biggest fruits will be H. Souttar and Scot Banks in the near future I think. Sell on clauses on those guys should net pretty tidy sums back. 

17 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Tbh I think this is a sign of things to come, we're now consistently over the last 10-15 years selling some of our academy graduates or youth we've signed for decent amounts. 

The ones which will bear the biggest fruits will be H. Souttar and Scot Banks in the near future I think. Sell on clauses on those guys should net pretty tidy sums back. 

I'd be surprised if Banks nets us any kind of sell-on fee, given the trajectory of his career since he left us.

53 minutes ago, steve55 said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/january/14/smith-joins-villa-academy/

Aston Villa is delighted to announce the signing of Kerr Smith, subject to international clearance.

Aston Villa is delighted to announce the signing of Kerr Smith, subject to international clearance.

The 17-year-old defender joins Villa’s Academy from Dundee United, having been with the Scottish Premiership club since the age of seven.

Smith made his first-team debut for the Terrors last February and has made 12 appearances, also representing Scotland’s Under-19s in November.

Academy manager Mark Harrison said: “We are delighted that Kerr has joined us, he is a player we have tracked and monitored for a long time.

“He has lots of potential but has already gained some fantastic experiences at first-team level with Dundee United, which is rare for a 17-year-old.

“We are really excited to see how he develops and hopefully one day we will see him become a regular in our first team.

“I would also like to thank Dundee United for the way they handled our approach and conducted themselves in the negotiations.”

The bold bit :

Were so absolutely swimming in money we can afford to pluck a bairn from Scotland who may or may not turn out decent for about £1million and probably pay him £5k a week for about 5 years. If not, meh.

Its mental.

However, good luck to the lad, even for the simple reason that if he gets sold to a big club down there for quadrillions we pocket some serious dosh.

32 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Scott Banks is 20 and has two dozen appearances in lower league Scottish football so far in his career.

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Scott Banks is 20 and has two dozen appearances in lower league Scottish football so far in his career.

I'm just going by what a Palace affiliated friend has said about him. Seems pretty well thought of down there for some reason 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'm just going by what a Palace affiliated friend has said about him. Seems pretty well thought of down there for some reason 🤷‍♂️

I hope so. The fact its an U23 league down there maybe skews things. Anyone at 20 here has to be playing or out on loan. 

20 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Fairly strong rumours The Rangers will offer Hearts £4.2m to get John Souttar in January. Would any of this head our way?

Surely there is NO WAY Rangers will pay £4.2million now for a player they can get for f**k all in the summer? Not even they’re that daft. Anyway, he’d barely even be worth that if he’d signed a new 3 yr contract yesterday. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

13 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Surely there is NO WAY Rangers will pay £4.2million now for a player they can get for f**k all in the summer? Not even they’re that daft. Anyway, he’d barely even be worth that if he’d signed a new 3 yr contract yesterday. 

I don't doubt @Alert Mongoose and his source for a minute. Ogren will be rubbing his hands, with glee.

14 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Surely there is NO WAY Rangers will pay £4.2million now for a player they can get for f**k all in the summer? Not even they’re that daft. Anyway, he wouldn’t even be worth that if he’d signed a new contract yesterday. 

That’s the going rate for a January PCA.  Pay up.

19 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Heard it was nearer £5 million