The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, CaspianChris said:

If Seigrist does sign a pre contract  with Rangers then he should be immediately benched for the rest of the season and the new Finnish keeper player instead. 

He should be made to do diving practise topless in very large patches of very large stinging nettles. 

And made to shower in water that even penguins or killer whales would deem far to cold to be in.

A little pinch of sourness or bitterness will do if it happens.

Stinging nettles? Sake.

Get him diving on some old blaze pitches covered in broken glass like things used to be back in the 80s and 90s. Nane o' this modern snowflake pish.

In all seriousness, id play the new boy anyway to be honest. Benji has been good but if the new guy is better (hopefully) then its Benchi Siegrist imo. Best and most committed team for me.

Will get him used to playing for The Rangers too.

2 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

If Seigrist does sign a pre contract  with Rangers then he should be immediately benched for the rest of the season and the new Finnish keeper player instead. 

He should be made to do diving practise topless in very large patches of very large stinging nettles. 

And made to shower in water that even penguins or killer whales would deem far to cold to be in.

A little pinch of sourness or bitterness will do if it happens.

If true, and I'll be surprised The Rangers have got him on a pre contract, I see it as no great loss to us. I'm of the view that he is seen as a good keeper due to the competition he's had since signing in 2018, Matej Rakovan, Ross Doohan and Deniz Mehmet: he's improved but still had some clangers this season (home v Motherwell and St Johnstone). Even Trevor Carson, who played well in his last game (Ibrox), put in a poor performance v Hibs in the League Cup. It would be good to get cash for him, but I wouldn't say he's a commanding keeper, his shot stopping and distribution have improved, not much else.

59 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Stinging nettles? Sake.

Get him diving on some old blaze pitches covered in broken glass like things used to be back in the 80s and 90s. Nane o' this modern snowflake pish.

In all seriousness, id play the new boy anyway to be honest. Benji has been good but if the new guy is better (hopefully) then its Benchi Siegrist imo. Best and most committed team for me.

Will get him used to playing for The Rangers too.

Aye, he'll not play many games for them, if he went.

Yeah there does appear to be a bit of revisionism creeping in here. He’s made the odd mistake but they pale into comparison against the times he has single handedly kept us in tight games.

It’s always going to stick on the craw going to teams like that but can we really criticise him for making that move? McGregor isn’t going to be around forever and I believe (and I suspect he does) that he is good enough to play at that level.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I see it as no great loss to us. I'm of the view that he is seen as a good keeper due to the competition he's had since signing in 2018.

It would be good to get cash for him, but I wouldn't say he's a commanding keeper, his shot stopping and distribution have improved, not much else.

I’m continually baffled by my fellow United fans refusal to accept a good thing when they have it. Even more so the case with keepers - if ours isn’t basically a hybrid of Hamish and the Monk, some folk will never be happy!

I think a few on here are trying to soften the blow of Siegrist leaving by pretending he isn't that good. It's bollocks. Think how phenomenal he was last season, without him we could have easily ended up in the bottom two. He hasn't quite matched that this season, but he's still one of the best keepers in the league.

Not a chance Siegrist has only looked impressive compared to his piss-poor predecessors. Last season Mellon might have tried to make us an ultra-negative team from about October through to February. However, we still needed Benji frequently bailing us out, winning us points and ultimately he was a big factor in keeping us away from the relegation spots.

Would rather not see him go to Ibrox but can't begrudge him a move to a bigger club. He's earned it.

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

If true, and I'll be surprised The Rangers have got him on a pre contract, I see it as no great loss to us. I'm of the view that he is seen as a good keeper due to the competition he's had since signing in 2018, Matej Rakovan, Ross Doohan and Deniz Mehmet: he's improved but still had some clangers this season (home v Motherwell and St Johnstone). Even Trevor Carson, who played well in his last game (Ibrox), put in a poor performance v Hibs in the League Cup. It would be good to get cash for him, but I wouldn't say he's a commanding keeper, his shot stopping and distribution have improved, not much else.

😂😂 if the guys not the best keeper in the league then he’s only 2nd to Gordon. 

Benji has been very good for us, no doubt. 

Hes no Peruzzi though either. Hes nowhere near Weaver or the Monks level for me. But probably somewhere around Rado and Zaluska.

Hes become a good shot stopper and reliable all round. I think his best attribute has actually been his consistency.

He made some howlers early doors in his United career but had more good days than average recently and overall has improved massively at United.

Will he be missed? Only of the replacement isn't as good. Obvious but true.

Will I be greeting when he leaves? Nah. He will be a loss, no doubt, but replaceable imo. Id be confident that if Carson stayed he'd be a good number 1 and the Finnish keeper looks pretty good too.

I think some folk were scarred by Zwick, Szromnik, Kawashima and Rankovan though, and I don't blame them. But some slightly over exaggerate Benjis abilities the same way some folk knock him.

A good, solid Scottish Premiership keeper whod be a good backup keeper for one of the racist, bigoted, sub-neanderthal, mouth breathing, puddle drinking, bile spitting arse cheeks of Glasgow.

I thought he was poor initially, but came on to a game during our play off run the season we lost in the final to St Mirren and has gone from strength to strength since. He was brilliant last season and very good again this year so far.

I think he’s good enough to play at Rangers (and thought the same about Celtic when he was linked with them this time last year) but I’m not sure the fans would accept it, as they wouldn’t see it as “ambitious” enough. I think he’d just be seen as a cheap, reliable back up for either of those clubs. 

For us Carson (and hopefully the new guy too) would be pretty capable of stepping up to no.1 next season. 

5 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Step 1: Denial.

Spoiler

Trust me, I decided the same about Kamara.

I stand by my opinion of Seigrist, if posters looked back they'd see I've been critical of him in the past, equally I've praised him for his improvements. I'll be delighted if we get money for him this window, and doubt when we look back he'll have a better overall career than Szromnik or Kawashima, who, like Seigrist, didn't look great with the players who were in front of him in defence at particular times. 

Also, Carson is highly unlikely to be back at Tannadice, Eriksson is here to be the main keeper.

14 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I stand by my opinion of Seigrist, if posters looked back they'd see I've been critical of him in the past, equally I've praised him for his improvements. I'll be delighted if we get money for him this window, and doubt when we look back he'll have a better overall career than Szromnik or Kawashima, who, like Seigrist, didn't look great with the players who were in front of him in defence at particular times. 

Also, Carson is highly unlikely to be back at Tannadice, Eriksson is here to be the main keeper.

Aye there's no way well see Carson in a United shirt again unless there's serious work permit issues with the new goalie. 

Likely to sign another promising younger keeper over the summer assuming the above doesn't pan out. 

Newman will hopefully keep up his development and probably go out on loan next season.