The Dundee United Thread 22/23

24 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

Wow, look at that back four. 

Absolutely honking.

I like Dillon and Dixon, they were very good servants to the club and very good players in their prime but at that stage they were well past it.

Durnan never had it.

Christ knows what Knoyle was like but I'm labelling him as just as pish as the rest.

3 hours ago, captainkev said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I found the Doon Derby relatively easy to move past, if only because by that point getting relegation confirmed at Dens just felt bleakly appropriate for that absolute dumpster fire of a season.

Really don't understand why the 2014 cup final still has so much of our support rattled to such a degree. The 2008 League Cup final though. That one still hurts.

Agree about the Doon Derby, but the 2014 Final was on a par with 2008 for me. We deserved to lose in 2014, that was down to McNamara (hard to believe we've had, I think, 7 managers since then, plus caretakers three times). But 2008 was down to Kenny Clark. If referees are cunts, Clark is the cunt's cunt.

3 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I never got over the 1987 Scottish Cup final tbh. Nothing has ever hurt as much as that day did.

Every one of them for me, until 1994, were equally as draining, even the expected '74 loss. 

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

20220227_173606.thumb.jpg.7c1912584f49303f03a0c8a0f067ce7f.jpg

That was the team for the Doon Derby...

That eleven would pump Dundee presently.

8 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Stop the gurning. 

I bring tidings of good news, or rather a wee positive rumour. 

We may have a certain Welsh midfielder beyond this season if wages can be agreed. 

Just a rumour mind you, a wild rumour. 

You mean the Courier said he's out of contract and Tam said we talk to his representatives?

2008 somewhat still hurts, but that we won the big cup 2 years later and then Rangers died lessens it. 2014 is just incredibly frustrating, given the squad we had, and the way McNamara refused to adjust his tactics for St Johnstone, who had sussed them out over the course of the season.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Absolutely honking.

I like Dillon and Dixon, they were very good servants to the club and very good players in their prime but at that stage they were well past it.

Durnan never had it.

Christ knows what Knoyle was like but I'm labelling him as just as pish as the rest.

Knoyle never looked pish to me, although I think I only saw him play twice tbf.

Whoever at West Ham sent him out to play in that defence did his development absolutely no favours though.

24 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Knoyle never looked pish to me, although I think I only saw him play twice tbf.

Whoever at West Ham sent him out to play in that defence did his development absolutely no favours though.

Ach, the team was such a shambles that season that it was difficult to fairly judge any of the new guys who came in. Some of them, in other circumstances, could have been perfectly decent but throwing them all together at once from all corners of the globe, into a team in freefall and a manager who was panicking and changing formation every week, was doomed to failure. I don't blame Knoyle, Demel, Kawashima, Sinama Pongolle  or Bodul, etc.  I do blame McNamara, Coll Donaldson, Sneijder, Gunning and some others.  

7 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Ach, the team was such a shambles that season that it was difficult to fairly judge any of the new guys who came in. Some of them, in other circumstances, could have been perfectly decent but throwing them all together at once from all corners of the globe, into a team in freefall and a manager who was panicking and changing formation every week, was doomed to failure. I don't blame Knoyle, Demel, Kawashima, Sinama Pongolle  or Bodul, etc.  I do blame McNamara, Coll Donaldson, Sneijder, Gunning and some others.  

Agree. And Mixu.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Stop the gurning. 

We may have a certain Welsh midfielder beyond this season if wages can be agreed. 

He’s injured more than he’s fit.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Stop the gurning. 

Assuming there is a next season and mad Vlad Putin does not roast all of Europe in nuclear flames.

10 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

Back to serious matters and it would be good if this happens. 

Alan Forrest, mediocre for us for 2 seasons, then suddenly becomes our best player for 2 months when he's looking to put himself in the shop window.

Tbf I'd love to keep him at Livi just for how he's played so far in 2022. New Alan Forrest would be an asset for you. Old Forrest would be a benchwarmer.

33 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Alan Forrest, mediocre for us for 2 seasons, then suddenly becomes our best player for 2 months when he's looking to put himself in the shop window.

Tbf I'd love to keep him at Livi just for how he's played so far in 2022. New Alan Forrest would be an asset for you. Old Forrest would be a benchwarmer.

Is he fast, terrible at crossing but works really really hard with little to no end product?

4 hours ago, thruthenight said:

Yeah got JET to Aberdeen vibes to it, firmly expect Forrest to score a hattrick against Utd on Wed to seal the deal on them signing him. Then be absolute pish for them next season.

Oh and wonder if Utd have a young player they don't rate that Martindale can do a swap for Forrest, so we can turn him into a cracking player (Anderson for JET, Penrice for Tiffoney type thing) .

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

17 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I said on another thread that I'm starting to turn on Kawashima a bit.

He earned us a few points with some great goalkeeping. If he had been shitter, we'd have been down before the Doon Derby, the useless-but-actually-quite-good c**t