The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 hours ago, captainkev said:

Apart from his 1st spell at Hibs in 2018/19 his goal stats from his loan spells since joining Reading are generally poor. If anything they suggest a career on a downward trend.

I think if we do sign him permanently then the sometimes hysterical criticism by fans of United's decision making, particularly directed at Asghar, will be more than warranted.

In almost two full seasons now the only time I've been seriously impressed by him was the cup game at Pittodrie last year. It's just not good enough.

There would be really no justification for signing him permanently. He's scored what, 4 goals or something ridiculously poor with us? 

I don't think you can base a solid argument on keeping him for any other reason either. 

I think he's a good footballer, just not a good goalscorer. We need a right place right time player who can score goals off his arse. Failing that, get a time machine and go back 12 years and bring back Jon Daly to play alongside McNulty

Edited by Big Shedboy

Surely he’ll be away and we’ll be looking to build our attack around Watt? We seem to have gone all-in on him by giving him a bumper contract so we need to decide what we need to complement him, whether it’s wingers to deliver the ball from wide, a target man for him to play off, an attacking mid to play through balls for him, a poacher to finish off his hard work etc. 

Basically work out what Motherwell did and try to replicate it. 

On 05/03/2022 at 12:43, kdyteejay said:

I’d take both Forrest and Nouble from Livi. They would transform our attacking abilities no end.

Nouble's still under contract for another 2 seasons and Forrest will get a far better gig down south

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

A question for anyone with season tickets in the upper tiers, or end sections of George Fox, or closest to the away stand in the East.

Have any of you purchased quarter final tickets yet, for these sections? Note the club website indicates these are not for sale.

United: Please everyone, please buy tickets for the Celtic game. Please.

Fan: Can I get one in the shed?

United: No.

Fan: The George Fox upper?

Fan: The ET upper?

Fan: Beside my mate who usually has empty seats beside them?

United: No. You'll sit where we fcuking tell you to sit.

Fan: On my couch at home then.

United: Buy a ticket please.

Fan: No.

21 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Nouble's still under contract for another 2 seasons and Forrest will get a far better gig down south

Not saying we will definitely sign him, but I'm pretty sure Motherwell fans said the exact same about Watt.

20 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Not saying we will definitely sign him, but I'm pretty sure Motherwell fans said the exact same about Watt.

Could be true tbf but according to Martindale's interviews over the last few weeks he says he feels we have a good chance of keeping him, but if not his future is likely down south

32 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Not sure throwing about £4k a week at Forrest would be a wise move. Especially seeing how Watt is working out. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Not sure throwing about £4k a week at Forrest would be a wise move. Especially seeing how Watt is working out. 

We've only lost one game with him in the side mate. Talk about his G+A record all you want but it's obvious he improves the overall side when he's playing.

On 07/03/2022 at 09:44, Mark Connolly said:

I knew his record was bad, but that is less than 1 in 6.

I know we don’t create a huge number of chances, but that is seriously poor for a guy who is supposed to be the main man

Without wanting to be the McNulty apologist (let’s face it - nobody else will be) it’s probably worth pointing out that Tony Watt has scored 1 in 11 for us having previously scored 9 in 19 for Motherwell.

Even Shankland only scored 1 in 4 for us in the Premier League.

15 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

We've only lost one game with him in the side mate. Talk about his G+A record all you want but it's obvious he improves the overall side when he's playing.

We're most of those games not against the bottom three in the league - where no wins were registered either? 

It's not as black and white as I'm painting it out to be but on the outside looking in - it looks a helluva lot of expenditure for very little return (so far). 

24 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Without wanting to be the McNulty apologist (let’s face it - nobody else will be) it’s probably worth pointing out that Tony Watt has scored 1 in 11 for us having previously scored 9 in 19 for Motherwell.

Even Shankland only scored 1 in 4 for us in the Premier League.

^^^ McNulty’s mum.

4 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Could be true tbf but according to Martindale's interviews over the last few weeks he says he feels we have a good chance of keeping him, but if not his future is likely down south

Ffs. Aye his options are either to stay in West Lothian or head off to play for the Harlem Globetrotters, anything in between is simply inconceivable.

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Ffs. Aye his options are either to stay in West Lothian or head off to play for the Harlem Globetrotters, anything in between is simply inconceivable.

To be fair, that's not me saying that. It's been the 3 or 4 interviews Martindale has done on the subject. 

He's inconsistent as f**k so a good chance he'd be found out down south. 6 months ago I'd have happily let him walk for nothing, and apparently he had been available for transfer for over a year. Seems like he could be one of those players who turns to gold when his deal is almost up but beyond that it's anyone's guess. Bottom end of League 1 is probably his level where he'd look alright tbf

Edited by ATLIS

20 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair, that's not me saying that. It's been the 3 or 4 interviews Martindale has done on the subject. 

He's inconsistent as f**k so a good chance he'd be found out down south.

What is it with folk with this shite? Consistently good wingers are one of the rarest breeds on the planet. At this level, if you ever find one, there’s not a chance in hell you’re gonna keep em!

I don’t think we’ve had one since GMS fcuked off to Celtic 7 years ago and even he was subject to the ‘inconsistent’ tag by the loonballs.

Since then I think McMullan could possibly lay claim (statistically) to being our most productive wide-man and he could go half a season without stringing together a few good games.

Our latest offering (Niskanen) started well, went through that shite patch and has had a couple of decent games recently. End product? 1 goal and 4 assists in 25 games.

I’ll bite yer hand off for the ‘inconsistent’ Forrest!