The Dundee United Thread 22/23

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

What is it with folk with this shite? Consistently good wingers are one of the rarest breeds on the planet. At this level, if you ever find one, there’s not a chance in hell you’re gonna keep em!

I don’t think we’ve had one since GMS fcuked off to Celtic 7 years ago and even he was subject to the ‘inconsistent’ tag by the loonballs.

Since then I think McMullan could possibly lay claim (statistically) to being our most productive wide-man and he could go half a season without stringing together a few good games.

Our latest offering (Niskanen) started well, went through that shite patch and has had a couple of decent games recently. End product? 1 goal and 4 assists in 25 games.

I’ll bite yer hand off for the ‘inconsistent’ Forrest!

I agree about the inconsistency of wingers at our level, but don't think Forrest would be the solution to immediate issues at Tannadice. Every forward thinking player gets stiffled in the present set up.

Also, a bit unfair on Niskanen, that 'shite patch' came after being dropped following a draw at Livingstone where he assisted the only goal we scored, although he came on as substitute in the next match and vastly improved the overall performance.

Following the Hearts defeat, he went through a spell of games where he rarely got much more than 60 minutes on the pitch, often less, including being substituted after providing the assist for our only goal v Ross County away. Plenty players have been poor, but Niskanen seems to suffer more from inconsistent selection rather than performances.

There's also the conundrum that we paid a fee for him, normally a left sided attacker, then paid another fee for Watt who excelled as the same at Fir Park. If we are actually interested in Alan Forest, he produces his most goals and assists playing on the left side as well. It would be foolish to sign him, in my view, when there are other areas crying out for improvement.

32 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Also, a bit unfair on Niskanen, that 'shite patch' came after being dropped following a draw at Livingstone where he assisted the only goal we scored, although he came on as substitute in the next match and vastly improved the overall performance.

Following the Hearts defeat, he went through a spell of games where he rarely got much more than 60 minutes on the pitch, often less, including being substituted after providing the assist for our only goal v Ross County away. Plenty players have been poor, but Niskanen seems to suffer more from inconsistent selection rather than performances.

Not having a go at him - just making the point that a winger (at this level|) going a dozen games without providing an assist isn't all that rare an occurrence.

Which is why you need more than one of them!

Edited by ArabFC

9 hours ago, ArabFC said:

What is it with folk with this shite? Consistently good wingers are one of the rarest breeds on the planet. At this level, if you ever find one, there’s not a chance in hell you’re gonna keep em!

I don’t think we’ve had one since GMS fcuked off to Celtic 7 years ago and even he was subject to the ‘inconsistent’ tag by the loonballs.

Since then I think McMullan could possibly lay claim (statistically) to being our most productive wide-man and he could go half a season without stringing together a few good games.

Our latest offering (Niskanen) started well, went through that shite patch and has had a couple of decent games recently. End product? 1 goal and 4 assists in 25 games.

Niskanen is a very good player when played in the right position with the right sort of tactics.  Both often missing under Courts.

Also he’s not a wingback but has done well in that role.

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

All this talk is going to bring Craig Conway to the surface.

There's whispers going round that if you say "For f**k Sake..." 5 times in front of a mirror then he appears

Edited by captainkev

17 hours ago, ArabFC said:

It's more so that what you're seeing in the last month and a half is probably the best he's played in his entire career. He can be a infuriatingly predictable wingers as he barely has a left foot. He cuts inside and curls it to the back post and once defenders learn that he's stuck being greedy on the ball. For whatever reason defenders have forgotten it completely within that month and a half period.

Comparatively we've had guys like Nouble/Lawless who are/were extremely consistent in putting in good 7/10 performances every week and rarely anything below that. There's definitely good consistent wingers at this level but it seems to be the ones who aren't relying on beating a man non-stop or doing big flashy runs. Even Josh Mullin was incredibly consistent for us but his entire game was built off of good crosses.

Pawlett hasn't been value for money due to being injury prone over his time at Tannadice, but he was one of the few at the club who could (or would) collect the ball on the turn and carry it forward, and this season we've had a much better points accumulation when he's started.

I think fans' opinions of him have been coloured by his unfortunate fitness record.

Pawlett hasn't been value for money due to being injury prone over his time at Tannadice, but he was one of the few at the club who could (or would) collect the ball on the turn and carry it forward, and this season we've had a much better points accumulation when he's started.

I think fans' opinions of him have been coloured by his unfortunate fitness record.
I thought he was very good at the start of the season. In fairness, if he didn't have his injury problems there is no way he'd be anywhere near United

12 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I thought he was very good at the start of the season. In fairness, if he didn't have his injury problems there is no way he'd be anywhere near United

Where would he be? Even fully fit he's a bang average to half decent Scottish top flight player.