Coronavirus skeptics

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

They are a vital part of daily life in many countries, including in Hong Kong and the Philippines where I now live.  Closing them down would not be an option at all - they are often the only places for miles where people can buy food and produce.  Sure, lessons are to be learned but closing them down  isn't an option in a lot of countries.  

I didn’t know eating bats, snakes or dogs heads were deemed as “vital”. 

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

They are a vital part of daily life in many countries, including in Hong Kong and the Philippines where I now live.  Closing them down would not be an option at all - they are often the only places for miles where people can buy food and produce.  Sure, lessons are to be learned but closing them down  isn't an option in a lot of countries.  

What a wonderful bit of understatement.  The questions are, will lessons be learnt and how serious could the impact be if they aren’t.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Such things are not commonly found in wet markets.  As I've said elsewhere on this thread, wet markets are almost always a mix of butchers, florists, greengrocers and fishmongers - you will rarely see the things  you mention.  I have lived and travelled in Asia for more than 25 years and the  most unusual thing i've seen was toads - and they eat them in France so there you go.  

You'd be surprised at how Asians view some of the stuff we eat.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

What a wonderful bit of understatement.  The questions are, will lessons be learnt and how serious could the impact be if they aren’t.

It was hardly the point of my post.   

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Such things are not commonly found in wet markets.  As I've said elsewhere on this thread, wet markets are almost always a mix of butchers, florists, greengrocers and fishmongers - you will rarely see the things  you mention.  I have lived and travelled in Asia for more than 25 years and the  most unusual thing i've seen was toads - and they eat them in France so there you go.  

Obviously nobody wants florists, greengrocers etc going out of business. I do think they should ban the “extreme” selling of items that I mentioned. Immaterial if they’re a rare find or not

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Your point was ruined by using the French as an example of normality. 

7 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You do realise the bats thing comes remote islands in the Pacific Ocean, like Palau, where bats are the only real "meat" available. As far as what I have read nobody else really eats bats.

Got to remember that haggis isn't seen as food in the USA.

i say this as someone who is also a vegetarian. 

Edited by Turkmenbashi

18 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Got to remember that haggis isn't seen as food in the USA.

Not just the US. I seem to remember Sandi Toksvig saying on QI that the word 'offal' comes from a Danish word meaning 'rubbish'. There's a bit of a north/south divide in England too, with organ consumption being considered for riff-raff by the time you get to the Home Counties.

Frankly, they can all f**k off and eat a skinned shite.

19 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Obviously nobody wants florists, greengrocers etc going out of business. I do think they should ban the “extreme” selling of items that I mentioned. Immaterial if they’re a rare find or not

I agree but then again one man's meat is another man's poison.  

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Just find it weird you've chosen a diet that protects the life of others but when it comes to protecting human lives you're a selfish arsehole.

I never liked the texture of meat, bone, fat, gristle etc. As for protecting human life’s, of course I don’t want folk to die. I just feel if a vaccine isn’t found, we can’t live with restrictions forever.