Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

It suits both leaders in the US and UK to talk up the possibility of war as it detracts from domestic issues/elections for both. See also Macron in France.

Clearly the media like a good old war story too.

I think then, you have to look at whether a full scale invasion of Ukraine would actually be something Russia wants. It could be a long drawn out battle. Not militarily as such, but you'd imagine the Ukranians would not just accept it even if Russia invade the whole country. Arguably Arghanistan hastened the fall of the soviet Union, so would they want a repeat. Equally, it suits Putin to have other countries fearful of an invasion.

Taking all that into account, if there was only a small incursion and/or some kind of diplomatic solution, all sides would be able to claim some kind of victory, even Ukraine could say a crisis has been averted. So that is what we will get. A few rockets etc and then a 'well won diplomatic solution'

I'm assuming Mauritius took one look at Liss Truss' performance in Moscow last week and decided they can do whatever they want to poor old Blighty.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/14/mauritius-formally-challenges-britains-ownership-of-chagos-islands

19 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm assuming Mauritius took one look at Liss Truss' performance in Moscow last week and decided they can do whatever they want to poor old Blighty.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/14/mauritius-formally-challenges-britains-ownership-of-chagos-islands

It's Johnson's Falklands moment!

3 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Nope they are the  only side ramping it up and its not the Russians or Ukrainians

Edited by doulikefish

6 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Truss to strongly refute this challenge as soon as she confirms where on earth the Chagos Islands are.

Surely the whole current situation gives Putin an excuse to roll his tanks up to the top of hill, encircle Ukraine, and then march them back down again, having 'proved' that he has the power to invade any time he wants, all in order to keep Ukraine out of NATO. He doesn't actually have to fire a shot.

Meanwhile, Johnson is of course all over it, as the perfect distraction from partygate-totally suits his agenda.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Surely the whole current situation gives Putin an excuse to roll his tanks up to the top of hill, encircle Ukraine, and then march them back down again, having 'proved' that he has the power to invade any time he wants, all in order to keep Ukraine out of NATO. He doesn't actually have to fire a shot.

Meanwhile, Johnson is of course all over it, as the perfect distraction from partygate-totally suits his agenda.

Except nobody gave any indication at all of Ukraine joining NATO, so f**k knows what Putin's theatre was for. Diversion from domestic stuff probably.

Except nobody gave any indication at all of Ukraine joining NATO, so f**k knows what Putin's theatre was for. Diversion from domestic stuff probably.
Ukraine's links with NATO have strengthened over the last few years and they are officially recognised as an aspiring member, they even changed their constitution a couple of years ago to allow membership.

What domestic stuff?

41 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Ukraine's links with NATO have strengthened over the last few years and they are officially recognised as an aspiring member, they even changed their constitution a couple of years ago to allow membership.

What domestic stuff?

Ukraine would need the agreement of all 30 NATO members to join, that is hugely unlikely. Putin's popularity shot up to 85% when he invaded Crimea, he's got another Presidential election early in 2024. 42% of Russians don't want him to stand again, highest ever and 57% amongst younger voters.

https://www.levada.ru/2021/10/11/vladimir-putin-10/

P.S. You have to wonder if Russia stopped threatening its neighbours whether they might not feel the need to seek NATO protection.

Edited by welshbairn

I don't think that Putin is acting now due to an election two years away. He probably is considering his appeal with the Russian public but more in terms of legacy than a distant election that he'll find a way to win regardless.

I tend to agree with the commentators who frame these moves as a bid to effectively renegotiate the balance of power in Eastern Europe now the USA is withdrawing from their role as World Police and Europe's disastrous abandonment of nuclear power has strengthened Russia's hand.

You could imagine the US's reaction if Russia started conducting military exercises in Mexico and I don't think it'd be simply for popularity ratings.

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't think that Putin is acting now due to an election two years away. He probably is considering his appeal with the Russian public but more in terms of legacy than a distant election that he'll find a way to win regardless.

I tend to agree with the commentators who frame these moves as a bid to effectively renegotiate the balance of power in Eastern Europe now the USA is withdrawing from their role as World Police and Europe's disastrous abandonment of nuclear power has strengthened Russia's hand.

You could imagine the US's reaction if Russia started conducting military exercises in Mexico and I don't think it'd be simply for popularity ratings.

That's not a great parallel in that the US isn't currently at war in part of Mexico after annexing a fair slice of it in recent times. I don't really see why Russia feels it has a divine right or need to a buffer zone of tribute countries to protect itself, who wants to or is capable of conquering Russia? 

That's not a great parallel in that the US isn't currently at war in part of Mexico after annexing a fair slice of it in recent times. I don't really see why Russia feels it has a divine right or need to a buffer zone of tribute countries to protect itself, who wants to or is capable of conquering Russia? 

They don't have a right to it, or need it, but they'd quite like it.

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

There was a Nato parliamentary group Crimea platform set up in April last year. 

This was published in June last year. Look at 9-15, 50 and critically 69.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_185000.htm

Worth noting that the 100k or so troops at the Eastern border were already there last April. 

Some Ukrainey politician (Foreign minister maybe) was publicly asking NATO for clarity on accession at the time of that NATO conference. 

Meanwhile Russia has been pushing for promised constitutional reform and free elections (irony alert) for Donbas that formed part of the treaty to end the 2013 war. 

NATO membership and the associated commitment to territorial integrity would prevent that happening. 

Plenty of indication that NATO membership was on the table and in progress as well as why it is a problem for Russia. 

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The US is responsible for large parts of Mexico becoming an ungovernable Narco State.

I think Russia takes the same Never Again outlook as Israel. 26 Million dead and all that. 

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think Russia takes the same Never Again outlook as Israel. 26 Million dead and all that. 

Likewise Ukraine with 4 million dead followed by a campaign of Russification, Holodomor as they call it.