Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

Turned on a stream of France 24. Interesting to watch. Quite pleasantly surprised. The left-green alliance won, Macron's centrists second, RN "only" the third party with about a quarter of the seats, while there were talks about a majority for them. 

Posted (edited)

Bardella being a sore loser in his speech. 

Edit: he now goes on about the dangers that there will be a sell-out of sovereignty and many crazy environmental rules. His speech was full of sour grapes. Lovely to hear. 

Edited by Marten

Posted (edited)

If the early indications are correct, then it's a big victory for solidarity in the face of fascism.

Actively standing down candidates in hotly contested areas to avoid splitting the centrist / leftist vote, combining powers and resources etc, good to see. 

People having some sense and deciding they would rather relinquish little bits of power here and there if it means defeating fascists.

Edited by AUcal

34 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Never in doubt. Honestly don’t understand how people seem to get amnesia every French election. National Front win first round then get pumped out in second. Every single time.

I thought you’d have been just as disappointed at the left winning as you would have been had the far right won, since you can’t tell the difference between them. 

2 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

I thought you’d have been just as disappointed at the left winning as you would have been had the far right won, since you can’t tell the difference between them. 

Well now if you’d taken me up on my offer of setting up a separate thread, we could have discussed how thinking people see the early twentieth century far right/far left dyad as being significantly different than the current iteration. Thus the compete idiocy of labelling modern right wingers as ‘fascist’ or modern left wingers as ‘communist’. Your hero Lenin was far more similar to Mussolini, for example, than Le Pen is to Melenchon. 

Happy to explore this further in a separate thread, Mazzy darling. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

Never in doubt. Honestly don’t understand how people seem to get amnesia every French election. National Front win first round then get pumped out in second. Every single time.

The National Front have never won the First Round of a legislative election before, you're thinking of Presidential elections.

There was still concern that they might be able to gain a majority or at least be largest party after the Second Round, because unlike Presidential elections, legislative ones allow some third place (and, very occasionally, fourth place) candidates to stand, which was seen as likely to give them a better chance of winning.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The National Front have never won the First Round of a legislative election before, you're thinking of Presidential elections.

There was still concern that they might be able to gain a majority or at least be largest party after the Second Round, because unlike Presidential elections, legislative ones allow some third place (and very occasionally, fourth place) candidates to stand, which was seen as likely to give them a better chance of winning.

Thanks BWV, a very good point 👍

1 minute ago, The Other Foot said:

:rolleyes: Another insightful contribution, Mazzles. 

I just cannot understand the thought process that leads you to come to that conclusion.

Lenin came to power because of a mass movement by workers against the ruling class, Mussolini came to power with the help of the ruling class to prevent a mass movement of workers against the ruling class. In the ussr workers controlled the factories they worked in and land ownership was collectivised, while in Italy factories remained in the hands of the bosses and land in the hands of landowners. 

Socially they were both completely different too. The ussr was the first country in the world to legalise abortion for example, whilst Italy remained a deeply patriarchal country. Of course, Italy was also a very racist and anti semitic country, just as the Tsar and the white army were deeply racist and anti semitic, whereas the Bolsheviks came from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds. 

2 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Long may it continue.

Actually, naw, just have them get pumped in the first instance.

At least I don't have to think about leaving France.           Yet.

12 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

The Atlantic front page tomorrow (probably) - "A Dark Day for France as Democracy Dies".

"The Atlantic is a news media source with an AllSides Media Bias Rating™ of Left."

Personally, I don't know anything about it.

Just now, cyderspaceman said:

"The Atlantic is a news media source with an AllSides Media Bias Rating™ of Left."

Personally, I don't know anything about it.

The Atlantic is neoconservative. 

I checked the Wikipedia page of AllSides:

Screenshot2024-07-0710_02_27PM.thumb.png.a3c3ae0eaba5c9ed6e67f39850adaee9.png

By doing things like labelling The Atlantic "left", I suspect Allsides is John Gable trying to manipulate the US Overton window.

Massive relief about the French result, good news coming out of Iran...just need to get the Democrats to get their act together in the good old US of A now