Bookcase background

One phenomenon that's been prominent in the current lockdown is the bookcase background.  When interviewed on the news or other TV programmes, many experts position themsevles in front of imposing book cases, perhaps to demonstrate that they are masterfully intelligent and well read, more likely so that nosy parkers can't see anything more personal.  Controversy was stoked a few weeks ago when Michael Gove's wife published aphoto of his bookshelf, which featured works by notorious psuedo historian, racist and Holocaust denier David Irving, as well as 'The Bell Curve' a book that caused huge controversy as part of it argued that IQ was hereditary and could be linked to race.

It did make me wonder if anything on my bookshelves could cause such controversy.  We have three large bookcases in our living room, only one of them is photographable so here it is.  The books have been thrown on with in absolutely no order whatsoever, other than most of our hardback books are on a different shelf - if I could photograph that I'd be very high brow as a lot of them are academic books but it would involve moving a sofa and I don't want to impress any of you that much.

101523260_2671696533114859_623835968155156480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=po0QtXEb0ZYAX-zRJA9&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=a875c39532e107999718c30d92d493a1&oe=5EF568DB

It's messy as we recently started using the bottom shelf for my son's books so had to rehome books from there by shoving them wherever they would fit.  There is no organisation or order to the books on here, complete chaos.

There is one book that was on here that I removed before taking the photo as I'm so embarrassed to own it - if anyone can guess what it is you will win a special prize.

Feel free to abuse me for my terrible books and if you like share yours so we can abuse you too!  

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We have three large bookcases in our living room, only one of them is photographable so here it is.  

Have any other P&Bers ever refused to post photos of their bookcases for unspecified reasons?

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One phenomenon that's been prominent in the current lockdown is the bookcase background.  When interviewed on the news or other TV programmes, many experts position themsevles in front of imposing book cases, perhaps to demonstrate that they are masterfully intelligent and well read, more likely so that nosy parkers can't see anything more personal.  Controversy was stoked a few weeks ago when Michael Gove's wife published aphoto of his bookshelf, which featured works by notorious psuedo historian, racist and Holocaust denier David Irving, as well as 'The Bell Curve' a book that caused huge controversy as part of it argued that IQ was hereditary and could be linked to race.

It did make me wonder if anything on my bookshelves could cause such controversy.  We have three large bookcases in our living room, only one of them is photographable so here it is.  The books have been thrown on with in absolutely no order whatsoever, other than most of our hardback books are on a different shelf - if I could photograph that I'd be very high brow as a lot of them are academic books but it would involve moving a sofa and I don't want to impress any of you that much.

101523260_2671696533114859_623835968155156480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=po0QtXEb0ZYAX-zRJA9&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=a875c39532e107999718c30d92d493a1&oe=5EF568DB

It's messy as we recently started using the bottom shelf for my son's books so had to rehome books from there by shoving them wherever they would fit.  There is no organisation or order to the books on here, complete chaos.

There is one book that was on here that I removed before taking the photo as I'm so embarrassed to own it - if anyone can guess what it is you will win a special prize.

Feel free to abuse me for my terrible books and if you like share yours so we can abuse you too!  

Get that tidied!

We also have several piles of books strewn around our home as well as the anarchy of those shelves.

Perhaps this thread is me subconciously trying to shame myself into buying some more shelves.

There's a Twitter account that rates particularly impressive or noteworthy bookcase backgrounds - https://twitter.com/BCredibility

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We also have several piles of books strewn around our home as well as the anarchy of those shelves.

Perhaps this thread is me subconciously trying to shame myself into buying some more shelves.

There's a Twitter account that rates particularly impressive or noteworthy bookcase backgrounds - https://twitter.com/BCredibility

I’ve got eight IKEA bookcases that I’m going to skip.  Nip down to Dundee and they’re yours.

15 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

How very last century. Actual books. Papery things wrapped up in paper. 

It is but I like having books, I like browsing book shops and I like feeling a book in my hand.  I don't really buy anything else recreationally.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Why don't you get rid of some of the books (which you'll never read again)?

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve got eight IKEA bookcases that I’m going to skip.  Nip down to Dundee and they’re yours.

Stick them on the freebie section on Gumtree and someone will take them off your hands in no time. 

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It is but I like having books, I like browsing book shops and I like feeling a book in my hand.  I don't really buy anything else recreationally.

Aye, right.

Just now, Dee Man said:

Stick them on the freebie section on Gumtree and someone will take them off your hands in no time. 

Aye I might do that.

Only time I used gumtree was to get rid of two old leather sofas.  The site said It could take up to an hour for the ad to go live but I got a call less than five minutes after posting.  I was gobsmacked but I suppose folk must have alerts of some type.

There was someone on here a few weeks back who zoomed into someone's bookcase who was getting interviewed on the news and there was some dodgy sex books I seem to remember. 

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

There was someone on here a few weeks back who zoomed into someone's bookcase who was getting interviewed on the news and there was some dodgy sex books I seem to remember. 

Mark Kermode (see very good new BBC4 show on Friday evenings covering tv/film streaming) has his missus' book on erotic cinema proudly displayed.