George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

I see the grans favourite "oh isn't his hair lovely, what a lovely chap, signed his book for me" media whore Neil Oliver is all in favour of Starkey's comments. And the NTS are standing by Oliver. Time to cancel memberships, I'd say.

Edited by The Skelpit Lug

Aye, I've mentioned before that I used to have lectures with guys who worked with him in the early days, they do not speak highly of the boy despite being close friends at the time. Thought if he could get a telly show with an undergrad degree why bother with a doctorate etc.

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye, I've mentioned before that I used to have lectures with guys who worked with him in the early days, they do not speak highly of the boy despite being close friends at the time. Thought if he could get a telly show with an undergrad degree why bother with a doctorate etc.

Mate of mine worked with him on a dig once a fair while back.

According to him he's a complete pie.

I had always thought that  Oliver was just another self-loathing Unionist. It turns out he is a horrendous piece of shit.
I used to quite enjoy Coast as well.
Wtf is Oliver standing up for Starkey when Starkey has been openly disparaging of Scottish history in the past. 
Bellends both of them. 

I like oliver's history programmes so it's really annoying to find out he's such a c**t.

I was gutted when i realised he was a big no voter (like he actually pushed it quite hard) - but this is whole new level of bawbaggery.

I suppose the only redeeming feature here is a sense of loyalty. If you've been friends with someone and admired their work it takes balls to openly support them when they've fucked up so massively.

(i quite like starkey's history programmes too but his views have been horrendously right wing for many years)

I’m sure that c**t Oliver went to my school, which is a bit of a disappointment. Then again, they’ve got bastions of dece like myself and C. Harris bringing the place up.

Quick google says Neil Oliver actually went to Dumfries Academy and not Dumfries High, so all is good. c**t of a man.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I like oliver's history programmes so it's really annoying to find out he's such a c**t.

I was gutted when i realised he was a big no voter (like he actually pushed it quite hard) - but this is whole new level of bawbaggery.

I suppose the only redeeming feature here is a sense of loyalty. If you've been friends with someone and admired their work it takes balls to openly support them when they've fucked up so massively.

(i quite like starkey's history programmes too but his views have been horrendously right wing for many years)

Historians were well pissed off with his History of Scotland series as he got so many of the the basics wrong. He's not a historian, he calls himself a freelance archaeologist/journalist. Have to say I enjoyed the show though, especially about what happened to the Picts which I thought was a big mystery a bit like the Neanderthals. 

11 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Academia is so petty man that's it's really funny. The tutor for my last class was friends with Niall Ferguson and regularly went on about how Ferguson removed him off his Facebook for being such a big Remainer.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Academia is so petty man that's it's really funny. The tutor for my last class was friends with Niall Ferguson and regularly went on about how Ferguson removed him off his Facebook for being such a big Remainer.

I think their point was he couldn't even be bothered to get into academia. Although one of them now presents one of those Nazi Megastructures programs so they're no better.

Agreed in general though, the bitching that they can randomly come out with to groups of undergrads is worrying at times 

Historians were well pissed off with his History of Scotland series as he got so many of the the basics wrong. He's not a historian, he calls himself a freelance archaeologist/journalist. Have to say I enjoyed the show though, especially about what happened to the Picts which I thought was a big mystery a bit like the Neanderthals. 
Have you got a link to this? I love seeing historians arguing

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Have you got a link to this? I love seeing historians arguing

Afraid not, it was made years ago, just remember some angry comments, possibly a bit of jealousy about a non historian getting the gig.

15 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Heard some physicist go off on one a few years ago about how Brian Cox had barely ever published anything worthwhile and shouldn't be on TV all the time. Aye, cos they want someone with a solid publications list who's barely able to explain anything to non-physicists to present mass-market science documentaries right enough.