George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

Thank you for the explanation Tynie. I feel now that I can understand better the sympathy movement behind what's happened in the case of this girl now. 

You've provided absolutely f**k all to the subject, whereas I've been honest in where I stand and looking for enlightenment so to speak. Tynierose has explained very clearly personal experience and knowledge on the subject without being a condescending wee vagina like you have been. You've caught me on the wrong day for this shit. 

Clearly. Hope nothing too serious and you’ve just woken up on the wrong side of the bed.

You've provided absolutely f**k all to the subject, whereas I've been honest in where I stand and looking for enlightenment so to speak. Tynierose has explained very clearly personal experience and knowledge on the subject without being a condescending wee vagina like you have been. You've caught me on the wrong day for this shit. 
Ignore him he just pops into threads to wind people up.

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Imagine seeing a 15 year old with ADHD being locked up for not doing homework and your first thought is ‘well why’s she not done her homework?’ Massive Tory energy. 

One of the biggest flaws that the 'don't do the crime if you can't do the time' brigade conveniently miss is that often the time isn't proportional to the crime.

On 17/07/2020 at 12:55, Stellaboz said:

ADHD or not, the report says she assaulted someone and part of her probation was to do these homeworks. Why haven't her parents helped her with this? Surely if you're on probation (or a parent of a child with support issues) you would damn well make sure the terms are being kept, no?? 

and if said parents are dysfunctional?

and if said parents are dysfunctional?

Hahaha ffs they're all out tonight. I've no idea if they are or are not but stop assuming and making scenarios up to suit your own agenda.

Also no shock to see Ali wetting his knickers over nothing again.

5 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Imagine seeing a 15 year old with ADHD being locked up for not doing homework and your first thought is ‘well why’s she not done her homework?’ Massive Tory energy. 

She's locked up for assault and theft to be more accurate. If she hadn't done that, she wouldn't be locked up. 

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

The judge obviously felt her crimes weren’t severe enough to be held on remand, and as such has suggested she is released on probation. 

Having to do her homework as a part of her probation is absolutely ridiculous and is quite rightly causing widespread condemnation. 

Probation often comes with a range of measures intended to limit the chances of re-offending and/or help with rehabilitation. These can include curfews, travel bans, attendance at anger management classes or drug addiction therapy for example. Set against that, asking a schoolgirl to do homework isn't inappropriate.

8 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

The judge obviously felt her crimes weren’t severe enough to be held on remand, and as such has suggested she is released on probation. 
Having to do her homework as a part of her probation is absolutely ridiculous and is quite rightly causing widespread condemnation. 

I saw this on the BBC website a day or two ago. Many of her schoolmates are supporting her, stating they themselves are having problems with homework given that there's basically no fucking teaching. One would imagine if non-ADHD students from non-dysfunctional homes are struggling, this particular girl has undoubtedly been set up to fail. 

Imagine being told you'll be locked up if you don't do your homework and then you don't do your homework.

Then there's all the people who blame everybody else - the judge, her parents, her teachers, the US judicial system, whitey - all because a criminal teenager wouldn't do her school homework.

Jesus christ, this post is horrific. She is a 15 year old CHILD ffs, I didn’t know the consequences of all my actions when I was 15 either, and I didn’t have a condition that made it harder for me to do what was required to avoid a jail sentence. Where is the compassion? 
What do you mean by whitey btw? 

The fact that raging bigot PCPlum has greenied it speaks volumes. Fucking hell [emoji23]

6 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Jesus christ, this post is horrific. She is a 15 year old CHILD ffs, I didn’t know the consequences of all my actions when I was 15 either, and I didn’t have a condition that made it harder for me to do what was required to avoid a jail sentence. Where is the compassion? 

What do you mean by whitey btw? 

Which is why she's in a juvenile detention centre,  where juveniles who have committed crimes are sent - in this country too.  

At a mid-May hearing at the Oakland County Family Court Division to decide whether Grace had violated her probation, Judge Mary Ellen Brennan found the girl "guilty on failure to submit to any schoolwork and getting up for school" and called Grace a "threat to the community" because of the previous charges against her

Her previous actions were deemed serious enough to warrant detention. If the Judge had sent her to a detention centre directly, there wouldn't be these protests.  

I'll say it again, she's not in detention because she didn't do schoolwork, she's in detention due to being convicted of theft and assault. The compassion shown was to give her probation and a second chance. She ignored that. 

"What's the biggest misconception about this case? 

"That this is just a young woman who went to children's village simply because she didn't do her homework," he said.

Lennon says that in any juvenile case, there are facts and documents that are not made public. 

"If people want to criticize her not knowing all the facts, I guess they have a right to do that," he said.

"She committed multiple assaults on her mother, and one of the choices my wife had to make is, was she going to send her back to the home while there was a stay at home order in place, so that those two people could be in the same house and her mother may potentially be subjected to more assaults by her daughter,"

From the husband of the Judge - https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/family-judges-husband-says-homework-not-only-reason-teen-was-sent-to-detention-center-in-oakland-county

An update plus the initial piece by ProPublica & The Detroit Free Press

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-michigan-supreme-court-is-reviewing-the-case-of-a-teenager-incarcerated-after-not-doing-online-schoolwork-during-the-pandemic

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-teenager-didnt-do-her-online-schoolwork-so-a-judge-sent-her-to-juvenile-detention

Few key takeaways:

Grace's case is being reviewed Monday.

Grace had special support services/measures in place at school due to her ADHD & mood disorder. These include teachers checking in regulary to make sure she is on task & to clarify any material if needed. Also allowances for extra time to complete assignments & tests. These supports are currently not in place.

School was a stabalising force in Grace's life & had a near perfect attendance record. Grace's teacher stated she was not out of alignment with most of her other students. Grace was active in projects both in school & the community.

Since the theft & assault charges Grace has stayed out of trouble.

An order from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer was in in place that no one should be sent to juvenile unless posing a 'substansial & immediate safety risk to others'. The breach clearly doesn't meet this criteria.

42% of 4800 juvenile cases through the Oakland Courts from January 2016 to June 2020 involved black youth who make up 15% of the county's youth population.

A report by the Sentencing project found that in Michigan as a whole black youth are incarerated at rate four times vs their white counterparts.

My own interpretation of the case is that the violation of the probabtion was brought on by Grace having stability & support structures which were clearly doing good removed & struggling to adjust to a new norm. If we were in normal times no violation would have occured. And not to state the bloody obvious but a non submital of homework is not a violation that shows a 'substantial & immediate risk to others'.

Putting kids in prison or detention centres for one off minor crimes is not an acceptable response. It also doesnt help the kid to come out and not offend, all it does is expose the kid to others who have committed even more serious offences who have a blase attitude to their behaviour. If a teenager has committed a very serious offence (assault with serious injury, sexual offences, murder or the likes) or is a repeat offender (ie im aware of kids in care homes who come and go freely despite brazenly boasting about spending every night stealing cars or breaking into houses/shops, some with upto 100 pending cases at 16) then yes there may be no better alternative, but a wee lassie whos stolen something, committed a minor assault and not done her homework? Nah that shouldnt even see the inside of a court room in a proper society.