George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

12 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

What's the blatantly obvious reason? 

11 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

It’s not blatantly obvious to me. Can you explain?

They clearly have a simplistic take that chucks BLM in alongside their views on Marxism/lefty politics. They're polarised gammon types and they clearly view the taking the knee alongside the statue stuff/brexit rhetoric. They probably incorrectly think they're being attacked for being unashamed of Britain and therefore associate the act as a political statement that they interpret as being an assault on their values. I think the percentage of those that are booing purely because they don't like other races will be absolutely minimal.

41 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

"KeEp PoLliTiCkZ oUt OfF fOoTbal" says Dave 42 from Burnley who will happily sing about winning World Wars and how James McLean should f**k off back to Ireland and stop claiming a BRITISH wage if he is so upset about the Poppy. 

I didn't see the England highlights yesterday, but apparently the boos were coming from around half the crowd. These are the same fans who were chanting "You racist b*****ds, you know what you are" when following England in Bulgaria. 

I can't imagine Queen Nat knows what Marxism actually means. nor does the majority of others using it. I always find it comical that these are the types of people who throw out words like "snowflake" yet are offended by a ten second action. "this won't end well", well the players aren't going anywhere, so hopefully these types of "fans" do. 

Fairly sure that taking the knee is generally understood to show solidarity with minorities and support for the cause of racial equality. The hijacking of a slogan by an organisation called "black lives matter" which has has a "marxist" outlook does not mean that support for racial equality = support for marxism. 

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

They clearly have a simplistic take that chucks BLM in alongside their views on Marxism/lefty politics. They're polarised gammon types and they clearly view the taking the knee alongside the statue stuff/brexit rhetoric. They probably incorrectly think they're being attacked for being unashamed of Britain and therefore associate the act as a political statement that they interpret as being an assault on their values. I think the percentage of those that are booing purely because they don't like other races will be absolutely minimal.

Yeah so they're idiots who don't know what they're talking about but are still unbelievably mad about it? Which tbf is as pure a distillation of Are British Values as you can get. The word purely is doing an Atlas-like amount of heavy lifting in the final sentence there as well. 

4 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

That's a very fair point, but i think there's a larger percentage that is at least partly motivated by a dislike of dark skin or foreign types. 

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yeah so they're idiots who don't know what they're talking about but are still unbelievably mad about it? Which tbf is as pure a distillation of Are British Values as you can get. The word purely is doing an Atlas-like amount of heavy lifting in the final sentence there as well. 

Yes they are. 

I believe it would be minimal, it's pretty much impossible to actually work out though, I'm sure others will believe the percentage to be higher. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That's a very fair point, but i think there's a larger percentage that is at least partly motivated by a dislike of dark skin or foreign types. 

That could be the case, i get the feeling the old school skinhead types that get annoyed by the sight of black people aren't exactly following the national team as much as they used to do. 

Most of the time when I see like Keir Starmer or Joe Biden taking the knee I dismiss it as useless liberal posturing but then I see who gets really mad at it and swing back around to thinking it’s doing a public good

Associating BLM with Marxism is classic dogwhistle politics, you can't deny that structural racism still exists within the UK so right wing commentators look to find examples where the two overlap and present these as the mainstream of the BLM movement - clearly lapped up by their online supporters.

Isn't being people unintentially, unconsciously or indirectly racist sort of the whole point of the reinvigorated movement? People are repeatedly told this, and none more so than football fans by current and former footballers. If you continue to boo the knee on the basis of "BuT mArXiSm"  then you probably deserve the racist tag. There is quite simply no need to do it and the Marxism thing reeks of, thats a just about passable excuse for me to hide behind when I get pulled for booing the uppity brown people. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Isn't being people unintentially, unconsciously or indirectly racist sort of the whole point of the reinvigorated movement?

Part of the point. Remember, the movement was sparked off by a police officer deciding to assert his authority by defiantly murdering a black guy in broad daylight in front of a ton of witnesses with cameras pleading for his life, and that just being the tip of the iceberg. It's as much about overt, lethal brutality aimed disproportionately at black people as it is about subtle institutional racism.

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

Part of the point. Remember, the movement was sparked off by a police officer deciding to assert his authority by defiantly murdering a black guy in broad daylight in front of a ton of witnesses with cameras pleading for his life, and that just being the tip of the iceberg. It's as much about overt, lethal brutality aimed disproportionately at black people as it is about subtle institutional racism.

Yeah, but I think in the UK a lot of it was about saying yeah ok we aren't seeing Police shooting young black kids for no reason ona daily basis, but racism is here and always has been, we all need to educate ourselves a little bit regarding the less obvious forms it take. 

13 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I don't think calling stupid people racist in the hope of shaming them to not be stupid is going to have much success in combating racism. 

But the only evidence you have given to suggest that there's no racist aspect to this behaviour is that you don't believe there is lol. And frankly being ostracized within an important part of the social fabric of the country is as likely to succeed as anything else. What's your proposal? 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

15 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I don't think calling stupid people racist in the hope of shaming them to not be stupid is going to have much success in combating racism. 

Oh Christ not this again. Do you think that if we treat racists with dignity and respect, THAT will have success in combating racism?

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

But the only evidence you have given to suggest that there's no racist aspect to this behaviour is that you don't believe there is lol. And frankly being ostracized within an important part of the social fabric of the country is as likely to succeed as anything else. What's your proposal? 

Well firstly I didn't say "no racist aspect" I said I'd imagine the majority were booing for the reasons I've mentioned before, not because they are racist people. The only evidence provided to show that they are racist is that others believe they are, lol...

Funnily enough I don't think ostracizing non racist people will combat racism considering I don't believe they're racist in the first place, seems a bit of a waste of time. I think there's plenty of alternatives to combat racism other than taking a knee at the football and of course if someone is being racist at the football then they should be ostracized and punished appropriately. 

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Oh Christ not this again. Do you think that if we treat racists with dignity and respect, THAT will have success in combating racism?

Why would I think that? Perhaps you've had trouble following the discussion, we were talking about people that aren't racist being called racist. 

13 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I think you're underestimating the amount of casual racism still kicking about. Of the people that booed at players taking the knee, i'd wager that a significant majority hold some racist views whether or not they also dress them up with this "left behind" bullshit. 

They might not be out randomly attacking minorities but they'd be disappointed if their sister married outside the race. 

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Why would I think that? Perhaps you've had trouble following the discussion, we were talking about people that aren't racist being called racist. 

Correction.

We're talking about people who think they aren't racist being called racist.