The Office Uk

TheScarf

Tim rejecting the opportunity to step into David's job at the end of Series 2 and recommending Gareth instead, even after Neil says it will be temporary and is something like "a bit more work for a lot more money", is why I sometimes struggle to feel overly sorry for him. He is a likeable guy, but he really doesn't help himself at times. 

Tim rejecting the opportunity to step into David's job at the end of Series 2 and recommending Gareth instead, even after Neil says it will be temporary and is something like "a bit more work for a lot more money", is why I sometimes struggle to feel overly sorry for him. He is a likeable guy, but he really doesn't help himself at times. 
I always think Tim is a bit of a kiss arse at times. The one that springs to mind is the Muppets theme scene. He is disgusted at Gareth for humming it and once David comes out his face completely changes and he joins in. He also goes out for drinks with them on the odd occasion as well.

50 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I always had the feeling that he was just a bit lost but couldn't work out for himself how to get out of the rut he was in. 

I was in a similar situation in my old office job till i was made redundant and had to make a plan. 

Can we all agree that Lee is the biggest arsehole? Finchy is a terrible person but for some reason Lee is worse for me.

He's a lazy p***k who doesn't appreciate Dawn at all. He's also a moron and a racist. 

5 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

I always had the feeling that he was just a bit lost but couldn't work out for himself how to get out of the rut he was in. 

I was in a similar situation in my old office job till i was made redundant and had to make a plan. 

This is exactly how I always viewed it. He says during the programme that he only ever intended to be at Wernham Hogg short-term, and yet many years later he's still there. Likely imagines that if he steps up in to the role that he'll definitely never leave, whereas he still has an out if he rejects it. Also, I've always thought that as much as Gareth infuriates him, he still considers him a friend and knows how much it'll mean to him so selflessly lets him have it.

36 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I always think Tim is a bit of a kiss arse at times. The one that springs to mind is the Muppets theme scene. He is disgusted at Gareth for humming it and once David comes out his face completely changes and he joins in. He also goes out for drinks with them on the odd occasion as well.

I think going out for drinks with the likes of David, Chris and Gareth is probably just some sort of filler for Tim - he wouldn't ideally be going out with these guys, but he freely admits that he has "no mates", so heading down Chasers etc. with that lot, however much he would rather not be there, at least offers him a pretense of a life beyond the walls of Wernham Hogg and his parents' house, even if it is with some of the same people chipping away at him on a near daily basis. 

Latterly, especially when he offers to go out for a drink with David after Anne's outburst in the first Christmas special, I think he is more acting out of a mixture of sympathy and a residual sense of loyalty. 

10 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

That's probably true, but he is given opportunities on a silver platter to improve his situation, like the aforementioned job offer from Neil at the end of Series 2, and he passes it up. He also bottles leaving at the end of Series 1. He is always extremely risk-averse (his dice analogy being the perfect example of this), in a way that Gareth, for example, despite being objectively less worthy than Tim, is not. 

In a way, Slough being incorporated into Swindon might have been the making of Tim - it would have forced him to make a choice: if he was kept on, go to Swindon and get some independence, branching out a bit from his comfort zone; if he was either let go or decided against going to Swindon and to move on from Wernham Hogg, he would, as you say, have been forced to 'make a plan' and perhaps it would have been a wake-up call that jolted him out of his slumber. But perhaps not. 

I read the Muppets scene as Tim having a bit of compassion for David; he knows David is desperate to be liked and to join in so he probably just finds it a bit heartwarming to see Brent involved in a wee bit of harmless fun.

That's probably true, but he is given opportunities on a silver platter to improve his situation, like the aforementioned job offer from Neil at the end of Series 2, and he passes it up. He also bottles leaving at the end of Series 1. He is always extremely risk-averse (his dice analogy being the perfect example of this), in a way that Gareth, for example, despite being objectively less worthy than Tim, is not. 
In a way, Slough being incorporated into Swindon might have been the making of Tim - it would have forced him to make a choice: if he was kept on, go to Swindon and get some independence, branching out a bit from his comfort zone; if he was either let go or decided against going to Swindon and to move on from Wernham Hogg, he would, as you say, have been forced to 'make a plan' and perhaps it would have been a wake-up call that jolted him out of his slumber. But perhaps not. 

Tim clearly can’t be arsed with the job he’s doing, let alone as a branch manager, even if he will get a few extra quid. He knows his heart just wouldn’t be in it whereas the promotion would mean a lot to Gareth.

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

Tim clearly can’t be arsed with the job he’s doing, let alone as a branch manager, even if he will get a few extra quid. He knows his heart just wouldn’t be in it whereas the promotion would mean a lot to Gareth.

I've always taken Tim's recommendation of Gareth for the branch manager job to be a way for Tim to pretty much shut Gareth away in a room rather than having to suffer him on a minute-by-minute basis, more than an act of kindness. 

Also, on Tim being a kiss-arse because he went for a drink with David after Anne's snide comments, it seems that he does it to spite Anne. I do think it's another display of compassion to David with his need to be liked, but it also looks like a way of sticking the finger up to Anne, to prove her wrong that David does have friends and people do want to go for a drink with him.

15 hours ago, smpar said:

Also, on Tim being a kiss-arse because he went for a drink with David after Anne's snide comments, it seems that he does it to spite Anne. 

That's what I thought, too. 

One of the most infuriating scenes, for me, is after Gareth has been offered the temporary job that Tim recommended him for. Obviously he is oblivious to the fact that Tim recommended him and passed on the job himself, but the way Gareth smugly scans the room and breathes in heavily makes me want Tim to nut him. 

Also, another great quote: "They won't remember."