I have just released an album

Listened to the first 30 seconds of a couple of tracks. I will give it a proper listen later, initial impression is good though. Defo got that 90's feel, a Stereophonics-ey type of vibe.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

I've been needing to see a comment like this. It gives me a good gauge of my current mindset. A while ago, that would have put me off recording music for a number of years. Now I have absolutely no qualms in continuing to work on my music despite its crapness. A blessing for me, a curse for everyone else.

There is not an artist in the world who appeals to everyone. A load of music I listen to and love on Youtube struggle to get triple figure views. Make the music for yourself and the listeners will take care of themselves. 

FWIW I think it's shite. Haha jks I've not even listened to it yet. I'll stick it on just now. 

5 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

It's a ten-track project which details my struggles with mental health during the past six years.

Got to be honest and say that is not the way to sell an album to me. I'll give it a go though, and hope you do really well with it, and congratulations for finishing it and getting it out there. Massive achievement on its own.

P.S. Some of my favourite films I've watched after thinking, Jesus, that sounds grim, I'll give it a miss, and then loving it..

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, Slenderman said:

I like it. Got a kinda 90s vibe to it.

6 hours ago, Falkirk09Bairn said:

Thought it was crap really but fair play for creating it and having the guts to put it out there. 

Mixed reviews.

Very well done for seeing this through to release! Will get my wife to download on Spotify.

Listened to it right through on Spotify while working.

Always hard putting stuff out for the people to criticise but very well done.

Liked some bits more than others, especially liked the girl singing on the last song. 😉

6 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Had a listen through today.  Really enjoyed it, well done mate.  

I assume that me listening to it on Spotify earns you about 2 bob and a button.  What's the best way to listen where you actually might earn money off it? 

Buy the album on bandcamp mate 😉

On 09/06/2020 at 19:54, welshbairn said:

Got to be honest and say that is not the way to sell an album to me. I'll give it a go though, and hope you do really well with it, and congratulations for finishing it and getting it out there. Massive achievement on its own.

P.S. Some of my favourite films I've watched after thinking, Jesus, that sounds grim, I'll give it a miss, and then loving it..

Ha, I fully understand that! What I'd say in response is that my coping mechanism has always been to deal with things in a self-deprecating, tongue-in-cheek kind of way. So I like to think that there's a bit of humour in there. Also, the majority of the tunes are actually quite upbeat. It may not be your thing musically, but I'd say not to be put off by the mental health stuff. It isn't as morbid as it sounds.

On 09/06/2020 at 16:35, Shandon Par said:

Good for you. Can't promise I'll actually listen to it but I've followed/hit play on spotify and downloaded it on my Apple Music so hope that helps. 

Even if posters check it and don't like it, why not download/play it anyway as it  can only help Ollie and maybe one day he can get himself a pair of jeans that fit properly. 

Thank you, I appreciate it. However, it is getting to that time of year where adult shorts are going be readily available in shops. I can purchase a pair and just use them as trousers.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Had a listen through today.  Really enjoyed it, well done mate.  

I assume that me listening to it on Spotify earns you about 2 bob and a button.  What's the best way to listen where you actually might earn money off it? 

Thank you! Yeah, the streaming sites are all much of a muchness really. So I wouldn't worry about it! Thanks though. As Bonksy has said, Bandcamp is the best shout in terms of downloads. I think I receive roughly 85% on Bandcamp (and that link is in the opening post).

Thanks to everyone for their comments! Pleased to say that one of the tracks - City Lights - will be getting its first UK radio airplay on Jim Gellatly's Amazing Radio show (Sunday between 2-4pm). Jim has always provided a great platform for unsigned artists so this feels like something of a small breakthrough.

Also, in case anyone is interested, here is an article about the album in last week's Daily Record: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/perth-musicians-debut-album-charts-22133899?fbclid=IwAR3Mwnytp8aZKcaqUWWhbtDNT2RQ9UPfkhxbPFHB9i9XUMDnutvfE9wtxbw

I'd copy & paste it below for anyone who doesn't want to click on the link, but the article is broken up by little headlines and it's a bit of a hassle.

22 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I'm not going to buy the album until you post the link big man.

A Perth musician has used his own experience with mental health issues as a catalyst to record his first album.

Ollie Wale will today (June 5) release ‘Grey Hairs and Black Dogs’, six years on from when he first tasted a degree of music stardom. As part of the duo The Shrugs, Ollie recorded 'Fair Maid' - a song for St Johnstone ahead of the Perth side's appearance in the 2014 Scottish Cup final. While most of the reaction was overwhelmingly positive, a few detractors did rear their heads, something that affected Ollie.

Ollie (28) was also in his final year studying for a degree in English and creative writing at Dundee University at the time, and it was round about then he realised he was struggling with his mental health. But the issue really hit home over the next three years which he spent living with his parents in Perth.

“I started writing songs when I was in primary school but I didn’t start to record until I got to uni with my flatmate,”  he says. “We started a duo called The Shrugs and did the St Johnstone song for the cup final. It was the first time I’d had any attention and it was really enjoyable for the most part, but there were aspects of it I found really overwhelming. The reaction was mainly positive but I am the type of person who, if they see one or two negative comments, it plays on my mind. It actually put me off releasing music for a few years. Around that time I discovered I was struggling with mental health issues during my last year at uni. After uni I stayed at my parents for three years in Perth. It became a vicious cycle every day. My depression was getting worse and worse so I decided to get therapy. I did that in my final year in Perth and it helped a lot. I had been in a place where I was not really myself or cared that much about my life. t’s not like I actively wanted my life to be over, I just wasn’t caring about anything.”

Ollie decided a change of location would help and he moved down to London in 2017. It was a move that has paid off. 

Ollie, who comes from a musical background, now works as a projectionist at the O2 Arena in the city and has found the confidence to get back in the studio to pursue his first love - music. According to Ollie, the album is about his journey from those dark days to where he finds himself now.

“It was tough [to record] but it was quite cathartic,” he says. “People say ‘you’re brave’ but mental health is becoming much less of a stigma. I would not have felt able to do it if braver people than me hadn’t spoken out beforehand. The album is also quite tongue in cheek as well, there’s humour there to an extent. That’s something you don’t often get.”

The former Kinnoull Primary and Strathallan pupil describes his music as having various influences such as pop, pop rock, folk and even rap.

Twenty per cent of the sales will go to the Samaritans, a group Ollie has great respect for. He says his own main therapy was not medication or pills, but simply being able to talk. But he admits it remains to be seen how he will react to any criticism this time around.

“I think [the criticism of Fair Maid] was a reason I waited so long,” he says. “Even constructive criticism would get me down. I wanted to be ready if it happened again.''

There you go, wee man. You can buy my album now. 😙

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

A Perth musician has used his own experience with mental health issues as a catalyst to record his first album.

Ollie Wale will today (June 5) release ‘Grey Hairs and Black Dogs’, six years on from when he first tasted a degree of music stardom. As part of the duo The Shrugs, Ollie recorded 'Fair Maid' - a song for St Johnstone ahead of the Perth side's appearance in the 2014 Scottish Cup final. While most of the reaction was overwhelmingly positive, a few detractors did rear their heads, something that affected Ollie.

Ollie (28) was also in his final year studying for a degree in English and creative writing at Dundee University at the time, and it was round about then he realised he was struggling with his mental health. But the issue really hit home over the next three years which he spent living with his parents in Perth.

“I started writing songs when I was in primary school but I didn’t start to record until I got to uni with my flatmate,”  he says. “We started a duo called The Shrugs and did the St Johnstone song for the cup final. It was the first time I’d had any attention and it was really enjoyable for the most part, but there were aspects of it I found really overwhelming. The reaction was mainly positive but I am the type of person who, if they see one or two negative comments, it plays on my mind. It actually put me off releasing music for a few years. Around that time I discovered I was struggling with mental health issues during my last year at uni. After uni I stayed at my parents for three years in Perth. It became a vicious cycle every day. My depression was getting worse and worse so I decided to get therapy. I did that in my final year in Perth and it helped a lot. I had been in a place where I was not really myself or cared that much about my life. t’s not like I actively wanted my life to be over, I just wasn’t caring about anything.”

Ollie decided a change of location would help and he moved down to London in 2017. It was a move that has paid off. 

Ollie, who comes from a musical background, now works as a projectionist at the O2 Arena in the city and has found the confidence to get back in the studio to pursue his first love - music. According to Ollie, the album is about his journey from those dark days to where he finds himself now.

“It was tough [to record] but it was quite cathartic,” he says. “People say ‘you’re brave’ but mental health is becoming much less of a stigma. I would not have felt able to do it if braver people than me hadn’t spoken out beforehand. The album is also quite tongue in cheek as well, there’s humour there to an extent. That’s something you don’t often get.”

The former Kinnoull Primary and Strathallan pupil describes his music as having various influences such as pop, pop rock, folk and even rap.

Twenty per cent of the sales will go to the Samaritans, a group Ollie has great respect for. He says his own main therapy was not medication or pills, but simply being able to talk. But he admits it remains to be seen how he will react to any criticism this time around.

“I think [the criticism of Fair Maid] was a reason I waited so long,” he says. “Even constructive criticism would get me down. I wanted to be ready if it happened again.''

There you go, wee man. You can buy my album now. 😙

Will do.

As an aside, I pumped a burd from Strathallan in a phone box outside farmfoods in Perth years ago.