Queen's Park 2020/21

33 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about this current situation with Queens Park but are the supporters worried at all that this guy could get bored and bail on you? I see Murray signed a 3 year deal, do you have enough cash to keep this going if this guy does disappear off the scene? 

I know where he lives😁

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about this current situation with Queens Park but are the supporters worried at all that this guy could get bored and bail on you? I see Murray signed a 3 year deal, do you have enough cash to keep this going if this guy does disappear off the scene? 

Supposedly the support is for 10 years, which will see me out. Haughey isn't in this for the kudos. The club had to ask him if it was ok to mention that it was his money. He wanted no publicity. He's also backed initiatives at the club before with no publicity. He's a local guy who is genuinely interested in football at grass roots and, thankfully, Queen's are the team he wants to put cash into. If you're going to have a wealthy benefactor, he's yer guy. Without his cash to back our move to professionalism, we'd have been rolling up to tackle the Braves out at M and D's in a couple of years time.

The trick will be to build something sustainable for when / if his support stops. 

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The trick will be to build something sustainable for when / if his support stops. 

It’s no mean feat turning sub 1000 crowds into something that can sustain full-time football. It will be interesting to see how a potential rise up the leagues will impact your attendances. I know in Dumbarton’s case we maybe saw a slight increase, but that was mostly in the away end and certainly not anything that could sustain a full-time playing squad. That also included a season where we were a baw hair away from the Premiership playoffs. 

At least you have a timescale for how long he will be hanging around, and if you have to scale things back then you should have plenty of time to sort it out.

I just hope, for Queens Park’s sake, that that grade A fud McKinnon doesn’t delay your progress for a year. 

That squad will get 10-15 points less than it should with McKinnon charge.  He's a genuine atrocious manager.  Some of the Falkirk play was laughable under him.  He basically plays for a draw every game.  

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

That squad will get 10-15 points less than it should with McKinnon charge.  He's a genuine atrocious manager.  Some of the Falkirk play was laughable under him.  He basically plays for a draw every game.  

That's why he's signed McHugh and Murray to play up front, together, so we can draw every game.

Can't wait to see who we are going to sign when he wants to win!

8 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

He's a local guy who is genuinely interested in football at grass roots and, thankfully, Queen's are the team he wants to put cash into. 

...because nothing says an interest in grassroots football quite like flinging money at a whole squad of SPFL mercenaries. It's just another modern day fairytale like Gretna (d.).

QP can easily self sustain when they get to the Championship even after Haughey disappears. They'll have facilities and a catchment area that most part time and some full time clubs in this country can only dream of. They're one of the better supported tier 3/4 clubs anyway, if anything the amateur status held them back far too long IMO. When was the last time they were even in the second tier, even going back to the days of three leagues as opposed to four? The Southside of Glasgow isn't Dumbarton, Brechin or Cowdenbeath, it's a huge place with a lot of transient people there from outwith the area who the club will appeal to as their success increases.  Dare I say as a Thistle fan they have a chance of overtaking us in the next five years. 

Edited by Benidorm

10 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If I'm looking at this from the outside, I'm thinking "Gretna II" However, knowing what I know about Haughey, our general finances, and the people involved in the running of the club, I'm comfortable with it. 

I've been in favour of professionalism since it was put on the table. The pyramid made it a necessity. I expected that to involve competing at a similar level and signing part-timers. If someone had told me we'd be in this position, I'd have laughed at them. When a guy with solid credentials in terms of doing good in the local community offers you the equivalent of a lottery win, you'd be mad to turn down that opportunity. Nobody would. 

Like Gretna and every other moneybags club, everyone will want us to fall on our arse. If another club was in our position, I'd want them to fall on their arse as well. That's football. I just hope we can get the season going and hope the team is as good as it looks on paper. By the end of this season, it'll be twenty-one years since our last title. We'll never have a better chance to bring the trophy back to Mount Florida. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

...because nothing says an interest in grassroots football quite like flinging money at a whole squad of SPFL mercenaries. It's just another modern day fairytale like Gretna (d.).

Correct, it’s the six figure donations he has made in the past to youth and school football in Glasgow that demonstrate that.

On 04/09/2020 at 13:16, Mick1867 said:

...plus the fact we're still in League 2

I get that Raymondo is unpopular (to say the least) at some of his previous clubs but I only care about what he does here. When we appointed Billy Stark and Gus MacPherson we had similar comments as they were both seen as failures at St Johnstone and Queen of the South respectively. Both won us promotion.

We were going nowhere - apart from the Lowland League eventually - if we had stayed amateur and kept Mark Roberts. Turning part time pro in January and bringing in a new manager was the only option. I was surprised with who we appointed but he brought in a few new faces in areas of the team that needed strengthened and got our best players Galt and Muir back to their best. The talk from the dressing room was it was the first time in years the players had received proper coaching and training was like the Stark days. We only lost one of 10 league games ( away to Cove) and were in a decent position to challenge for promotion before Covid hit everyone. The vast majority of our support were delighted with what we were seeing on the pitch.

Now of course we have decided to go full time, obviously a pretty easy decision to make when a local millionaire offers to fund your playing budget. We have signed guys who wouldn't be anywhere near us otherwise. If we don't get promoted then I'm sure McKinnon will be gone. Strange times to be a QP supporter but exciting all the same. 

Correct. A lot of Morton and Falkirk fans in particular seem to be overestimating our level of interest in their opinions of Ray Mckinnon. We are quite capable of judging his performance ourselves.

28 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Correct, it’s the six figure donations he has made in the past to youth and school football in Glasgow that demonstrate that.

So not throwing money at an SPFL club, which was the apparent 'grassroots' involvement in the game that was being touted in the original post then. 

Still, I'm sure that lots of those youth and school players will now get the chance to play for their local and newly professional team. Or mebbe not whenever there's a 30 year old right back looking for a glorified pension deal instead.

23 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Correct. A lot of Morton and Falkirk fans in particular seem to be overestimating our level of interest in their opinions of Ray Mckinnon. We are quite capable of judging his performance ourselves.

If you're so annoyed about other teams' fans commenting on your manager then jog off to some tragic single club forum instead.

Edited by vikingTON

QP can easily self sustain when they get to the Championship even after Haughey disappears. They'll have facilities and a catchment area that most part time and some full time clubs in this country can only dream of. They're one of the better supported tier 3/4 clubs anyway, if anything the amateur status held them back far too long IMO. When was the last time they were even in the second tier, even going back to the days of three leagues as opposed to four? The Southside of Glasgow isn't Dumbarton, Brechin or Cowdenbeath, it's a huge place with a lot of transient people there from outwith the area who the club will appeal to as their success increases.  Dare I say as a Thistle fan they have a chance of overtaking us in the next five years. 

9 teams in league 1 and 3 teams in league 2 had higher average attendances than QP last year . Also glasgow has plenty of teams for people to chose to watch apart from the obvious OF. Pollok to name another. Going by the crowds Hamilton st Johnstone get I don’t think it’s a massive deal as they have shown they can sustain a team in the premier league on pretty low crowds.

Anyway have watched the uprising of Queen’s Park from a far it is good to see a lower league team with a bit of hope and optimism around . Having been at a couple of your games when you shared at airdrie I wish you All the best [emoji106]

12 hours ago, Benidorm said:

The Southside of Glasgow also has numerous clubs in a close vicinity, some of them the most successful in the country. Dumbarton’s closest SPFL club is in Greenock, we are 10 minutes away from Helensburgh, Alexandria and Clydebank who are without SPFL clubs, to directly compare a catchment area like that with Brechin or Cowdenbeath is daft. A steady rise up the leagues doesn’t automatically equal bums on seats and we know that more than anyone. It’s not impossible but it certainly wont be easy.