Queen's Park 2020/21

18 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He really was on another level entirely. I do not understand why Queen's Park (all due respect!) was the ceiling for a player with that kind of ability.

He suffered an ankle injury then had a personal problem that really affected him towards the end of his time with us. That's why he didn't re-sign when Gus asked him to and why he ended up eventually back at Kilbirnie. 

He was the best I've ever seen for QP. Really felt for him that he never played in a side that won promotion, despite numerous play off appearances. Should have happened in 2011/12 when we finished in second place behind Alloa  with him and McBride running the midfied and Longworth scoring 20 plus. Just our luck that he pulled a hamstring two weeks before the play offs. 

Edited by Mick1867

17 hours ago, qpfc said:

It said a lot about Anderson’s ability that he won 3rd division player of the year In 2012/2013 when up against the likes of Lee Mculloch and a prime Rory McAllister for the award. You do wonder even when he was really young how an academy never took him on board. Phenomenal player and comfortably the best player I’ve seen at this level 

It was the Irn Bru (league sponsors at the time) award he won, wasn't it?  Lee Wallace won the PFA Scotland one (Anderson made the final four for that)

Over 250 appearances for Kilbirnie and not one appearance for the Scotland Juniors team. How clueless must those selectors have been. 

I think if there's any side in the lower divisions that can step up it is Queen's Park.  Grand old name, big catchment area, and now with the promise of a shot at success they could surely attract four figure crowds as a viable alternative for those who do not want the OF.   Aren't Pollok's crowds the best in the ex-junior game?  It'll take a bit of time to imprint generational loyalties so I suppose the biggest risk is if it goes pear-shaped too quickly. 

Edited by bluearmyfaction
typo

5 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

I think if there's any side in the lower divisions that can step up it is Queen's Park.  Grand old name, big catchment area, and now with the promise of a shot at success they could surely attract four figure crowds as a viable alternative for those who do not want the OF.   Aren't Pollok's crowds the best in the ex-junior game?  It'll take a bit of time to imprint generational loyalties so I suppose the biggest risk is if it goes pear-shaped too quickly. 

What market are the Queens aiming at?

Can they compete with a few new Senior clubs popping up in the catchment area at half the cost to watch? 

Can they compete with a few new Senior clubs popping up in the catchment area at half the cost to watch? 

I’d like to think prior to the season starting they’ll do a lot locally to promote themselves and the new beginning for the club. I’ve said before on threads about Queens Park, a lot of locals wouldn’t know there was a game on at Hampden every other Saturday because the club don’t do enough to make people aware of their presence.
I wouldn’t call myself a Queens Park fan, I’m interested in seeing them do well because they’re my local team, I’ve gone 4/5 time’s a season for the past 8 years since moving back to the area. This has coincided with drifting away from watching Celtic and getting a season ticket for Glasgow Warriors.
If my wee one has any interest in going to football then I’d certainly take her to Lesser Hampden rather than exposing her to Celtic/Rangers and everything that goes along with that! She’s been to 3 games so far but was asleep and oblivious in her baby carrier.

I’m genuinely excited to see what will happen in the seasons to come, with the new ground being built and the influx of better players hopefully it can be a launching pad for progress up the divisions and sustained growth in the clubs stature and local fan base.

32 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

I’d like to think prior to the season starting they’ll do a lot locally to promote themselves and the new beginning for the club. I’ve said before on threads about Queens Park, a lot of locals wouldn’t know there was a game on at Hampden every other Saturday because the club don’t do enough to make people aware of their presence.
I wouldn’t call myself a Queens Park fan, I’m interested in seeing them do well because they’re my local team, I’ve gone 4/5 time’s a season for the past 8 years since moving back to the area. This has coincided with drifting away from watching Celtic and getting a season ticket for Glasgow Warriors.
If my wee one has any interest in going to football then I’d certainly take her to Lesser Hampden rather than exposing her to Celtic/Rangers and everything that goes along with that! She’s been to 3 games so far but was asleep and oblivious in her baby carrier.

I’m genuinely excited to see what will happen in the seasons to come, with the new ground being built and the influx of better players hopefully it can be a launching pad for progress up the divisions and sustained growth in the clubs stature and local fan base.

Could always go back to the middle class roots and aim at "oh no we ain't those other two". Or pick up on the Govanhill area and a more St Pauli multicultural theme. Maybe not.

Personally having been to Queens games over the decades, i can't see the lure say compared to Pollok. A plastic seat at double the price, nah.

Maybe the Jimmy Johnstone folks at Cathkin could give more of an insight into bringing people on board. 

33 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Could always go back to the middle class roots and aim at "oh no we ain't those other two". Or pick up on the Govanhill area and a more St Pauli multicultural theme. Maybe not.

Not necessarily a St Pauli thing, but there's a diversity and growing vibrancy that can certainly be tapped into. It's now seen as fashionable to live in and hang about in certain areas of the southside, so branding ourselves as the club for the area would do us no harm. 

I genuinely believed we had more potential for a wee bit more growth during our old normal. I now have absolutely no doubt about it. We have a fantastic opportunity to do something really special here imo. 

9 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

This season might be a bit of a stretch, given that at the moment we don't know when/if even members and season ticket holder will be allowed in the ground, but next year when we'll hopefully be coming off the back of a successful season and opening a new ground would be an ideal time to be looking to attract folk in the area, global apocalypse permitting.  As you say, as things have been, you could walk past Hampden at 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon and not know there's a game on later.

As for the challenge of other local teams in the new West of Scotland League set up that Tutankhamen mentions, I've no particular axe to grind with Pollok, I used to go and watch games there years before I started going to Queen's Park, and watching games at an old ground like Newlandsfield is preferable to  going to Hampden, but I wonder how long the likes of ex-juniors will be able to maintain success at low entrance prices the further up the leagues they get.

10 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

They have a head start because they're in the League. That's still a powerful attraction.  And there is still power in having such an old name, even Airdrie Utd got back to Airdrieonians as soon as they could.  It's not unfeasible that the Spiders could be in the second tier before any of the local junior clubs get into the fourth.

Indeed, and it sounds a bit daft, but the top flight is not out of the question.  Caley Thistle and Ross County are regulars up there on a few thousand.  Is it that outlandish to suggest a successful QP could eventually get to similar averages with a run of success? 

53 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

This season might be a bit of a stretch, given that at the moment we don't know when/if even members and season ticket holder will be allowed in the ground, but next year when we'll hopefully be coming off the back of a successful season and opening a new ground would be an ideal time to be looking to attract folk in the area, global apocalypse permitting.  As you say, as things have been, you could walk past Hampden at 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon and not know there's a game on later.

As for the challenge of other local teams in the new West of Scotland League set up that Tutankhamen mentions, I've no particular axe to grind with Pollok, I used to go and watch games there years before I started going to Queen's Park, and watching games at an old ground like Newlandsfield is preferable to  going to Hampden, but I wonder how long the likes of ex-juniors will be able to maintain success at low entrance prices the further up the leagues they get.

Most ex Juniors would be happy with a bite at the big Scottish. 

47 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

In case anyone missed it, two ex-players were elected to the committee last week - Damiano Agostini and Keith McKenzie.

I can confirm neither of them are millionaires.

Committee? I thought Haughey owned us now. 

13 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Personally having been to Queens games over the decades, i can't see the lure say compared to Pollok. A plastic seat at double the price, nah.

Maybe the Jimmy Johnstone folks at Cathkin could give more of an insight into bringing people on board. 

I think that you will find that WH is involved in the background there as well.

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

In case anyone missed it, two ex-players were elected to the committee last week - Damiano Agostini and Keith McKenzie.

I can confirm neither of them are millionaires.

are you sure about that given the generous "expenses" they would have got as QP amateurs... :rolleyes::lol:

Do you think there will be anymore permanent signings coming in or do you think the rest of the squad will be made of loans/youth ? Can’t imagine we’ll go in with a big squad anyway with a shorter season In place 

21 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Do you think there will be anymore permanent signings coming in or do you think the rest of the squad will be made of loans/youth ? Can’t imagine we’ll go in with a big squad anyway with a shorter season In place 

Twelve outfielders just now, so would expect two or three loans and one or two more permanent. Not overly concerned now that we have strong foundations laid down. Think a lot of the remaining business might happen closer to the start of the season. 

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Can't see there being many loan signings. Clubs want their players to play if they go on loan. What youngster is going to dislodge the experienced players we have brought in. I would expect 3 or 4 more permanent signings and places for our recently signed professional youth players to supplement the first team squad.

2 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Can't see there being many loan signings. Clubs want their players to play if they go on loan. What youngster is going to dislodge the experienced players we have brought in. I would expect 3 or 4 more permanent signings and places for our recently signed professional youth players to supplement the first team squad.

25 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Who are our recently signed professional youth players?

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/pathway-to-professional-football-for-qp-youth-academy/