Queen's Park 2020/21

5 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

You're probably right, but I've watched us being pretty pish for most of the past five decades plus and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) a full ten years of being half decent.

We're chasing our first trophy in 21 years. Being a Queen's fan certainly isn't glory hunting. We've all got scars to bear and deserve a ray of sunshine.

9 hours ago, Chester Desmond said:

I know f**k all about anyone's plans, intentions or motivations, and what I say should be taken as the thoughts of a happy idiot on a Sunday morning rather than those of someone in the know, but I'd imagine that Willie Haughey and the committee are looking at both the short and long term.  Short term the plan is clearly to get promoted this season and, by the looks of it, next season as well so they're buying players to allow them to do that.  At the same time I'd think they'll be developing the youth set up at the club in the hope of bringing players through, but also giving local kids a chance to play the game and get decent coaching (as they do just now).  Theoretically Queen's could field a team of 16 and 17 year olds next season, but they'd get pumped every week and drop out the league, which wouldn't be great for grassroots football either at the club or in the area.  I don't see that spending money just now to bring in players as a means to an end and also developing the youth teams are mutually exclusive.  

Of course it could all go tits up.  McKinnon might be as bad a manager as some folk on this thread are making out.  He had a promising start in his first couple of months in the job, but the season ahead will be a different challenge. If he doesn't get promoted with the money that's being spent then he should, and I'd imagine will, be sacked.   I don't know a lot about most of the players that have been brought in.  Mostly fans of clubs they've played for before have gone down the "should do a job in League 2" route, which is hardly a ringing endorsement but again, we'll see.  In the past some classed as oafs at other clubs have done well for us, others coming with a pedigree haven't worked out.  The old Baron doesn't strike me as a Brooks Mileson type and, as Spider Rico said, he's put a lot of money into youth and grassroots football particularly in the southside for years without making a fuss about it or looking to be seen as a GREAT GUY.  But maybe he's just playing a real life game of Football Manger.  

Whatever happens, it'll be fucking interesting and hopefully a bit of a laugh.  Given where we could have ended up with the pyramid coming in and the Hampden situation, I'm hopeful that Queen's will be a solid and stable club with its own home ground, a wee bit further up the leagues and continuing to do decent things for youth football in the area.

Good honest  post. 

Of course everyone who is bitching is secretly envious of the situation QP have found  themselves in . Cash rich , owning their own ground and a solid base to build on . On top of that a philanthropist backer with a vision of success.  I just hope the gamble pays off as QP  seem like a genuinely decent, well run  club who have somehow managed to hang on to their amateur status for over 100 years whilst competing in a semi professional environment. 

Exciting times ahead but if there is one piece of advice anyone can offer it must be to watch who you piss off on the way up as you don't know who's support you will need on the way back down . 

11 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Exciting times ahead but if there is one piece of advice anyone can offer it must be to watch who you piss off on the way up as you don't know who's support you will need on the way back down . 

Thanks. I don't think we're the sorts that go out of our way to piss people off, but an input of cash always attracts negative comments. I've been happy to do that in the past .... but the shoe's on the other foot now!

Guest The Phoenix

The usual suspects delivering their standard level of amateur trolling. 

Good luck to Queen's Park on their exciting journey.

There will be nine other clubs looking to ensure you don't reach your destination this season, though! 

33 minutes ago, The Phoenix said:

The usual suspects delivering their standard level of amateur trolling. 

Good luck to Queen's Park on their exciting journey.

There will be nine other clubs looking to ensure you don't reach your destination this season, though! 

Thanks. My hunch is that you will be our closest rivals this season.

Anyone comparing Willie Haughey to Mileson is just showing their ignorance of the man. Anyone comparing our club to Gretna is just showing their ignorance of how our club is owned and run. Wilfully in some cases considering how many times it has been explained in this thread. I can understand they won't have much knowledge of the financial arrangement that is legally in place that will ensure the funding of our playing budget for a number of years. Our current committee would never have entered into such an arrangement without the proper assurances.

re our youth set up. I'd like to think the quality of players in our youth system will also improve now we have the ability to offer a path to full time football at the club.  We have a chance to progress from our current Performance level. 

On 04/09/2020 at 17:21, Francesc Fabregas said:

Weirdly, if Queen's Park had remained a part-time club, I think Mr Raymond McKinnon would have been a good fit for them, something that was clearly demonstrable during the 10-week spell between him taking charge and the premature end of the season (for example, they were excellent when they beat Stenhousemuir 3-0 at Ochilview in mid-February).

That game was actually early November when Mr Mark Roberts rampaged his way to the manager of the month award. 

4 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

You're better than this.

Apologies , we have had a summer of dealing with adverse comments from clubs  who actually fit the Gretna comparisons  and clouded my judgement  . Whenever there is talk of money floating about  , people always assume the sugar daddy  is at work . 

Please refer to my later post which hopefully fully explains my thoughts on the subject.

On 04/09/2020 at 17:21, Francesc Fabregas said:

Given the way McKinnon is building his team, I don't think we'll see players like Neil Parry or Davie Anderson or Jamie Longworth or even Salim Kouider-Aissa joining the club again. I can't see McKinnon taking a punt of talented players from junior or non-league football.

I take your point about perhaps not taking a punt on players from that level, but I can't imagine there are many players of Davie Anderson's ability that we'll be missing out on if we don't. He was a one-off - in 20 years watching Queen's, he's the best player I've seen play in the bottom division, Rangers/Gretna included.

Besides, if a player like that were to come through, all we need to do is wait for one of the wee diddy teams (Rovers, Clyde, Thistle, etc.) to spot them and then we'll sign them from there.

20 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Apologies , we have had a summer of dealing with adverse comments from clubs  who actually fit the Gretna comparisons  and clouded my judgement  . Whenever there is talk of money floating about  , people always assume the sugar daddy  is at work . 

Please refer to my later post which hopefully fully explains my thoughts on the subject.

No probs mate, I posted before I got to that one.  

Also, it might be true that moving to professionalism and starting to bring in players from higher divisions could stand in the way of younger players getting their chance, but it's worth pointing out that we've brought through very few players from the youth set-up in recent years who have gone on to establish themselves in the first team. That's partly because the better ones have been getting signed earlier by bigger teams, but it's also because of the threat of relegation. Managers are far more inclined to go looking for a bit of experience elsewhere than to spend time developing players in the first team.

43 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

I take your point about perhaps not taking a punt on players from that level, but I can't imagine there are many players of Davie Anderson's ability that we'll be missing out on if we don't. He was a one-off - in 20 years watching Queen's, he's the best player I've seen play in the bottom division, Rangers/Gretna included.

Besides, if a player like that were to come through, all we need to do is wait for one of the wee diddy teams (Rovers, Clyde, Thistle, etc.) to spot them and then we'll sign them from there.

He really was on another level entirely. I do not understand why Queen's Park (all due respect!) was the ceiling for a player with that kind of ability.

It said a lot about Anderson’s ability that he won 3rd division player of the year In 2012/2013 when up against the likes of Lee Mculloch and a prime Rory McAllister for the award. You do wonder even when he was really young how an academy never took him on board. Phenomenal player and comfortably the best player I’ve seen at this level 

Good luck to QP . As an outsider the natural instinct or concern is that the money for players will eventually stop sooner rather than later. Who would say no thanks to what they have been offered in financial support.

The best thing for me is Lesser Hampden being redeveloped which I’m hoping will make for a much better match atmosphere than the existing stadium . Also with the risk of sounding like a complete p***k a decently priced catering facilities compared to the 2nd mortgage material at Hampden.

Yours in hope.