The Famous Aberdeen’s European (Tour?) 2020

Frank Grimes

Just now, Frank Grimes said:

Good stuff, shall purchase 

Premier not stumping up enough dough this time, clearly 

They've got the Rangers and Spurs games on Thursday so potentially not enough channels to put it on besides the free one so probably not worth the bother for them.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Unstoppable force v immovable object. 

1-0 the dons

Here's hoping. 

I think it's shaping up to be the hardest test of the season so far. 

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Viking won 5-3 away from home at the weekend against a team above them in the league. 

They've won their last 3 games and seem to be hitting some form. 

Can someone provide some context how good the Norwegian League is?

I'm assuming this would be a somewhat even matchup with the Dons maybe a slight favorite?

6 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Can someone provide some context how good the Norwegian League is?

I'm assuming this would be a somewhat even matchup with the Dons maybe a slight favorite?

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

Not a perfect measure by any means, but it's based on each country's teams performance in Europe.

3 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

?

But can't hold down a starting position since his transfer to the famous Aberdeen, thus implying that the standard of the Norwegian league may be lower than that of the SPL*. This implication is however weak, and does not control for variables such as the relative position of Aberdeen in the SPL* and stabaek (his previous club) in the Norwegian league, competition for places at each club, preferred formations, tactics etc. To be frank, it was a lazy and facile contribution to the discussion and I'm glad you questioned it. 

*ok, the premier division 

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

But can't hold down a starting position since his transfer to the famous Aberdeen, thus implying that the standard of the Norwegian league may be lower than that of the SPL*. This implication is however weak, and does not control for variables such as the relative position of Aberdeen in the SPL* and stabaek (his previous club) in the Norwegian league, competition for places at each club, preferred formations, tactics etc. To be frank, it was a lazy and facile contribution to the discussion and I'm glad you questioned it. 

*ok, the premier division 

Appreciate the explanation and thoughts.

Based on that and considering Aberdeen is generally thought of as the third best club in the SPL and Viking is likely a top-5 Norwegian club based on last year and their form the last 2 weeks, on a neutral field one could maybe consider the Dons a slight favorite?

But considering the match is in Norway, Viking is maybe a slight favorite?

Seems like it's going to be a pretty even matchup, though I will predict a 1-0 Aberdeen win.

3 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Appreciate the explanation and thoughts.

Based on that and considering Aberdeen is generally thought of as the third best club in the SPL and Viking is likely a top-5 Norwegian club based on last year and their form the last 2 weeks, on a neutral field one could maybe consider the Dons a slight favorite?

But considering the match is in Norway, Viking is maybe a slight favorite?

Seems like it's going to be a pretty even matchup, though I will predict a 1-0 Aberdeen win.

I'd agree that we're probably marginal favourites but i doubt there's much in it. Not sure how much home advantage counts without a crowd. Don't forget the head to head record between the clubs for major European honours. The league table didn't agree with us being 3rd best last year though.