Cancel culture

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Can i ask, are you this intolerant of other people's views on real life?

I agree with a lot of what you've said on this thread my duochrome friend but...I think this is indicative of where we are right now. When did it become a requirement to be "tolerant" of racism? Or homophobia, trans-phobia or any other attack on a disenfranchised group whose lives are hard enough to begin with?

"So much for the tolerant left" is the stock response whenever a bigot is pulled up for their actions. I don't get it.

"Political correctness", "Offended", "Cancel Culture" are all just weasel words to let repulsive people transfer attention away from their abhorrent views and pretend the person criticising them is the real problem.

If someone is racist in person I will tell them they're a racist and we see how things go from there, yes.
I don't tolerate anyone being openly racist in my company (not that it happens often, fortunately).

So the scenario is that one of your pal's pals shares a joke about a topical major celebrity in your company - which you think is a bit racist.

Would you, like me, find a way to make it clear that you're uncomfortable with that and that you disagree? Or do you just say "you're a racist mate"?

Or if your neighbour uses the derogatory word for Chinese takeaway (as mine did today weirdly enough)? What would you do then? I made sure that i used the term 'Chinese' in the very next sentence but i didn't correct him, or call him racist. Should i have done?

Or if someone new in work expresses a political opinion that you don't agree with, in a conversation that involves quite a few folk. On here you seem incredibly dismissive of alternative opinions, and what tends to be the case is that in real life we're all a little more measured.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I don't tolerate anyone being openly racist in my company (not that it happens often, fortunately).

So the scenario is that one of your pal's pals shares a joke about a topical major celebrity in your company - which you think is a bit racist.

Would you, like me, find a way to make it clear that you're uncomfortable with that and that you disagree? Or do you just say "you're a racist mate"?

Or if your neighbour uses the derogatory word for Chinese takeaway (as mine did today weirdly enough)? What would you do then? I made sure that i used the term 'Chinese' in the very next sentence but i didn't correct him, or call him racist. Should i have done?

Or if someone new in work expresses a political opinion that you don't agree with, in a conversation that involves quite a few folk. On here you seem incredibly dismissive of alternative opinions, and what tends to be the case is that in real life we're all a little more measured.

I'll tell them it's a racist term. I've done this with my grandparents, never mind a neighbour.

This isn't matter of opinion. There is a right and wrong. 

I agree with a lot of what you've said on this thread my duochrome friend but...I think this is indicative of where we are right now. When did it become a requirement to be "tolerant" of racism? Or homophobia, trans-phobia or any other attack on a disenfranchised group whose lives are hard enough to begin with?
"So much for the tolerant left" is the stock response whenever a bigot is pulled up for their actions. I don't get it.
"Political correctness", "Offended", "Cancel Culture" are all just weasel words to let repulsive people transfer attention away from their abhorrent views and pretend the person criticising them is the real problem.
It’s not like the view that he’s taking umbrage with is someone preferring tomato sauce rather than brown on a bacon sandwich ffs. 

The views that Marshmallo is Intolerant of have real life consequences to real life people. The way you and the other moderates go on you’d think speech is completely inconsequential. 
When faced with clear racism i would hope most of us find a way to express our feelings?

But I'm talking about issues that are not quite so clear cut?

Do you not accept that on the Internet (twitter especially), there's limited tolerance for anything, and polarisation occurs very quickly?

Imagine for a wee second if that's how folk actually spoke to each other in real life conversations. Or do you think that's what our society needs?

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

When faced with clear racism i would hope most of us find a way to express our feelings?

But I'm talking about issues that are not quite so clear cut?

Do you not accept that on the Internet (twitter especially), there's limited tolerance for anything, and polarisation occurs very quickly?

Imagine for a wee second if that's how folk actually spoke to each other in real life conversations. Or do you think that's what our society needs?

If someone says they're going for a "chinky" then yes, our society needs you to tell them that's a disgusting racist term rather than hoping they'll absorb the term "Chinese" by osmosis.

I'll tell them it's a racist term. I've done this with my grandparents, never mind a neighbour.
This isn't matter of opinion. There is a right and wrong. 
Ok. I respect that.

But it means you're going to create quite a lot of tension, and generally be thought of as a bit of a dick.

And just to be clear, it's much easier to do when it's family. I'm much more forthright with family members.

But in general society, that's much more difficult to do. Friends of a friend, work colleagues, neighbours etc.

If you're as absolute with those relationships as you are on here over political and moral decisions - then I'm guessing you'd be viewed as quite an intense and opioninated arsehole.

But like i say, i respect that honesty.

If someone says they're going for a "chinky" then yes, our society needs you to tell them that's a disgusting racist term rather than hoping they'll absorb the term "Chinese" by osmosis.
I decided to handle it differently, and so I'm still on good terms with my neighbour.

Like i said, i made sure i used the proper term in the next sentence, but for me your way of doing things would've been too extreme for that situation.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Ok. I respect that.

But it means you're going to create quite a lot of tension, and generally be thought of as a bit of a dick.

And just to be clear, it's much easier to do when it's family. I'm much more forthright with family members.

But in general society, that's much more difficult to do. Friends of a friend, work colleagues, neighbours etc.

If you're as absolute with those relationships as you are on here over political and moral decisions - then I'm guessing you'd be viewed as quite an intense and opioninated arsehole.

But like i say, i respect that honesty.

If someone using terms like "chinky" or "Paki shop" thinks I'm "a bit of a dick" then that's not going to be a problem for me.

If you think stating those opinions makes me an "opinionated arsehole" then I think you need to take a look at yourself.

The people with half a brain (or more) aren't the problem. Unfortunately there's a shit ton of people who form their opinions based on what the Daily Mail tells them, or what they hear Nigel Farage say on the BBC

I think that’s where you’re wrong. The shite that the Daily Mail and Farage spout hasn’t changed in a long time. Anyone who finds themselves agreeing with that line has imo always been leaning that way. I don’t think the Daily Mail and/or Farage have persuaded them to think that way

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Comparing hormone therapy to conversion therapy is clear cut bigotry my man. Society needs ‘opinions,’ like that to be ridiculed, because they are harmful, ignorant and bigoted. 

The older I get,  the more realise there is no point in even replying to these appeasers. If you're more bothered about keeping the peace with a racist neighbour than advancing equality then you're best case a spineless shitebag, worst case a racist apologist.

Edited by Marshmallo

A couple of weeks before the bars were all closed, Mrs Shotgun and I ran into a couple we vaguely know via mutual friends. We ended up sitting having a drink with them but 5 minutes in, the guy decided it would be appropriate to tell a homophobic joke. I shut him down as soon as he'd got to "There was these two gay guys..", telling him it was 2020 and he needed to get some new material. Naturally, I got the "sorry if you were offended" and "I thought this was still a free country" and all the tripe we've heard a million times. If he'd told me the joke via the Internet I would've said the same thing, and no doubt, have received the same insults in return. 

That does not make ME the intolerant one.

2 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

I think that’s where you’re wrong. The shite that the Daily Mail and Farage spout hasn’t changed in a long time. Anyone who finds themselves agreeing with that line has imo always been leaning that way. I don’t think the Daily Mail and/or Farage have persuaded them to think that way

Well, then we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I personally believe the amount of airtime Farage was given in relation to any other minority party leader went a long way towards the normalization of his views.

Something else that annoys me - this is not a left and right issue. Left and right is a discussion about the economy, the level of government intervention or reform.

The stuff we are discussing here is whether you agree with human rights or not. You're right or wrong, not right or left. If you pander to that youre part of the problem.

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, but for good men to look on and do nothing."
~ John Stuart-Mill. 

Speaking out against bigotry is a duty incumbent on us all. It isn't a flaw and those of us who do so are not "intolerant".

Edited by Shotgun

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Something else that annoys me - this is not a left and right issue. Left and right is a discussion about the economy, the level of government intervention or reform.

The stuff we are discussing here is whether you agree with human rights or not. You're right or wrong, not right or left. If you pander to that youre part of the problem.

Pretty much everything you've said over the past couple of pages is spot on but I'd disagree with that. The terms "right" and "left" have moved on quite a bit from just having an economic meaning.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Pretty much everything you've said over the past couple of pages is spot on but I'd disagree with that. The terms "right" and "left" have moved on quite a bit from just having an economic meaning.

You're right in popular parlance but that shouldn't be the case. I can disagree with someone on economic policy and have a debate about it, but treating people as human beings is non-negotiable and is just decency.

What I will say is it's not a surprise that a Rangers fan has down voted my posts about people using bigoted terminology @8MileBU

Just now, Marshmallo said:

You're right in popular parlance but that shouldn't be the case. I can disagree with someone on economic policy and have a debate about it, but treating people as human beings is non-negotiable and is just decency.

What I will say is it's not a surprise that a Rangers fan has down voted my posts about people using bigoted terminology @8MileBU

Didn’t even read that post. Just seen the username @Marshmallo and thought ‘absolute tadger’ because every Mallo post be like:

FA2F7938-FFED-486D-AF55-DA791F4501EE.gif