Cancel culture

To me, this sounds awfully like you're going down the "few bad apples" route.
He's not arguing that they are a few, he's arguing that they are thick as f**k - and don't understand the hypocrisy in their own beliefs.

That's different from the political ideology itself, if sometime is intelligent enough to follow it through (which they cases you mentioned are clearly not).

31 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's not what I'm talking about.

Of course there is hypocrisy on both sides. Sides are made up of individuals. But the notion of allowing pretty much anything to be said is ideologically a trait of the right rather than the left. I don't see how anybody could dispute that.

I don't think anyone is disputing the assertion that the right see themselves as the bastions of free speech.

The reality is somewhat different though.

36 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

He's not arguing that they are a few, he's arguing that they are thick as f**k - and don't understand the hypocrisy in their own beliefs.

That's different from the political ideology itself, if sometime is intelligent enough to follow it through (which they cases you mentioned are clearly not).

Well that's the problem, isn't it? The ideology might state these beliefs but it's apparent that less and less of the adherents are practicing what they supposedly preach.

51 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

To me, this sounds awfully like you're going down the "few bad apples" route.

It's weird how the American right are so passionate about freedom of expression until disrespecting the flag or the national anthem come into play, or any mild criticism of the actions and policies of the Israeli Government.

On 10/07/2020 at 18:17, throbber said:

I had to google what a CIS woman was thinking it was to do with someone who had been a victim of some sort of abuse but it turns out it’s a woman who was born with a vagina who identifies as a woman. Sometimes I feel I don’t even know the world I live in. 

^^^ cums in socks

One of the funniest things about it is right wingers having to pretend that Lawrence Fox's music is good, or buying the box set of Come Fly With Me and trying to convince themselves that it isn't utter dogshit.

Yeah I've got a hunch that the far right might be lying b*****ds when it comes to being the torch bearers of free speech. They would send their goon squads out to zap anyone connected to a trade union given half a chance. Didn't they have a wee book bonfire back in the day?

I think the worry is that the state and a sizable amount of private businesses are quick to scramble to the perceived moral high ground just now. Most of the time it's justified but when it's not it plays right into the right wing fake narrative. 

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's weird how the American right are so passionate about freedom of expression until disrespecting the flag or the national anthem come into play

An example would be when a black man exercises his right to free speech. He gets hounded from his job at the behest of the President who refers to him as a bum. Death threats, bile and hatred all directed his way. Boycotts of his sponsors, and the public burning of their products, the full gamut. Why? Because “politics has no place in sport.”

Apart from the National Anthem, the military flyovers, the salutes to the brave men and women of our armed forces, the honouring of the flag...

What the ideology of the right claims to be is irrelevant. It’s what they do in practice that counts. 

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

An example would be when a black man exercises his right to free speech. He gets hounded from his job at the behest of the President who refers to him as a bum. Death threats, bile and hatred all directed his way. Boycotts of his sponsors, and the public burning of their products, the full gamut. Why? Because “politics has no place in sport.”

Apart from the National Anthem, the military flyovers, the salutes to the brave men and women of our armed forces, the honouring of the flag...

What the ideology of the right claims to be is irrelevant. It’s what they do in practice that counts. 

“Politics shouldn’t cross with sport” is the sign of an absolute halfwit.  There are very few things more political than sport, as anyone who has ever been in a team at any level whatsoever will attest.   Which is why Colin Kaepernick’s treatment was so blatantly a case of hypocritical collusion.

What “cancel culture” appears to mean, is that if you tell the truth you get hounded out of your job, and if you lie your head off, spouting vaguely coherent right wing gibberish, you get a free pass.  It’s a meaningless term.

On 08/07/2020 at 16:00, JTS98 said:

Falsehood is beaten in the market of ideas all the time. The victory of fascism in successful democracies is non-existent.

The West as it stands in 2020 is not in a position where it has anything to fear from extremist ideology. People like capitalism (for better or worse) and people like thinking of themselves as tolerant.

Some ludicrous far-right speaker like Nick Griffin is best left to expose his own ideas. One of the great tv failings of this century is the pitchfork mob-like treatment of him on Question Time years ago. He should have been given a fair hearing and had hs ideas dismantled by reasoned inquisition. Instead, he got the chance to present himself as a martyr.

The same should go for anyone, really. Whatever the views, the best response is sober and fair questioning. That can only take place in an open forum.

Neoliberalism has led directly to a rise in fascist sympathy all across the west. I genuinely believe that it's the likely successor to the plutocracy that the US has become. It's a notoriously difficult idea to put back in the bottle once it's been legitimized as a reasonable outlook by the mainstream media. 

Neoliberalism has led directly to a rise in fascist sympathy all across the west. I genuinely believe that it's the likely successor to the plutocracy that the US has become. It's a notoriously difficult idea to put back in the bottle once it's been legitimized as a reasonable outlook by the mainstream media. 
Is it just fox news that has legitimised fascism though? The rest seem to have decried trump and his kin entirely (although their early fascination with him probably helped him get elected).

Anyone know what percentage of Americans get their news from fox, as opposed to cnn, or msnbc?

18 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is it just fox news that has legitimised fascism though? The rest seem to have decried trump and his kin entirely (although their early fascination with him probably helped him get elected).

Anyone know what percentage of Americans get their news from fox, as opposed to cnn, or msnbc?

I'm not sure whether even Fox has gone so far as to legitimise outright fascism directly. It wouldn't surprise me if they went down that route eventually. Corporate power would for the most part get by just fine under a fascist government. It's any retaking of democratic ground that almost all American media is terrified of because that's counter to the aims of corporate power. Trump even refers to advocates of bottom up direct democracy as terrorists and that goes completely unchallenged. The widespread disillusionment needs to be channelled somewhere so further to the right it must logically go. 

Just now, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Ricky Gervais and John Cleese's opinions on a hot-button political topic - not for me Clive. 

The worlds pretty much fucked sooner an asteroid hits us the better leave the place to the animals humankind has fucked it

23 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Nice try weirdo.

As I said, you're renowned for red dot campaigns regardless of the content of the post, charities, memorials, doesn't matter.  It was the person making the post you were only interested in. Weird.

You went to a state school in Larbert, I was married in post-apartheid South Africa.  Don't go down that road, you'll make an even bigger tit of yourself.

and the wee weirdo Mallo is at his red dotting again.  Cancel culture? you bet.........

3 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Worth a watch.

Ricky Gervais could've done with having his ability to make TV shows cancelled after series one of Extras.

37 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

and the wee weirdo Mallo is at his red dotting again.  Cancel culture? you bet.........

It's not Reddit we can still see your posts.