Cancel culture

Just now, 8MileBU said:

Looked to me like he set out to deliberately provoke you when you said something you didn’t mean and were having a hard time of it. He then came crawling to you when it finally sunk in that he was aggravating you at a time you were struggling mentally and genuinely weren’t in a good place at the time. 

We can all fall out with each other on here at times but, just as you have,Marshy really helped me when I needed it. He didn't crawl, he gave me a boost at the right time cos he saw I needed it. I would do the same for you anytime, those weird Hertz incomers recently, not so much.

Just now, Perkin Flump said:

We can all fall out with each other on here at times but, just as you have,Marshy really helped me when I needed it. He didn't crawl, he gave me a boost at the right time cos he saw I needed it. I would do the same for you anytime, those weird Hertz incomers recently, not so much.

That’s just how I see it mate and thanks, I appreciate you saying that. However past experience has taught me that some of P&Bs heroes will be just as likely to kick you when you’re down and so if I ever needed a boost, P&B is the last place I’d look for one.

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

That’s just how I see it mate and thanks, I appreciate you saying that. However past experience has taught me that some of P&Bs heroes will be just as likely to kick you when you’re down and so if I ever needed a boost, P&B is the last place I’d look for one.

Oddly, it's the first place I look, that might be down to my hermetic ways irl, nonetheless people on here seem to know when I am being an odd Moomin & they react accordingly when I am being more of a dick than usual.We are a good bunch on here 

11 hours ago, Burnieman said:

It's a very long and uninteresting story, but the essence is Mallo has an ongoing red dot campaign, admins not interested, so I dot him back randomly whenever he does it to me. Fire with fire and all that because nothing else works, maybe I shouldn't and rise above his abuse of the system.

The content of the post is immaterial, he knows that all too well. I have posted in the past about innocuous stuff, fund raising, historical items, stats etc and he has red dotted it. If he didn't act like a weirdo towards people then this wouldn't happen in return.

There's a supporter from Whitehill Welfare who he used to red dot all the time for no apparent reason, he stopped posting regularly because of it. There's another guy who has asked me why he does it to him, I had to tell him that is just the way he is.

So that's it. Perhaps it fits into the cancel culture debate in some way. Anyway I've already spent too much time on this weirdo as it is.

Can't believe the mods aren't interested 

3 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Oddly, it's the first place I look, that might be down to my hermetic ways irl, nonetheless people on here seem to know when I am being an odd Moomin & they react accordingly when I am being more of a dick than usual. We are a good bunch on here 

I’d say we’re all arseholes 😄

This is absolute bollocks, sorry. Taking your logic to its natural conclusion, would you allow neo-Nazis platforms in order to ‘win the argument’ with them? 

I’m not on about open and unashamed white supremacists and racists.

I’m on about people who’ll maybe question whether there’s more than two genders, whether BLM’s methods are the best way to go about things, or even just ignorant stuff like “why’s there not a straight pride?” and so on.

Assuming people like that are bigots is dangerous, and challenging disagreeable views like that is far more beneficial than casting the people who spout them as dangerous bigots, because they don’t immediately fall in line with the narrow range of views the echo chamber allows.

In my experience, the people who ask "Why isn't there a straight pride?" aren't looking for an answer. They know perfectly well why there isn't a straight pride. They've had it explained to them a thousand times. They ask because they want to quieten the voices of a marginalised group by pretending discrimination against them doesn't exist. Therefore gays are receiving special rights. "Why don't WE get that. WE'RE the oppressed ones!" You can reason with these people until you're blue in the face but next June you'll hear the same shit all over again.

Edited by Shotgun

In my experience, the people who ask "Why isn't there a straight pride?" aren't looking for an answer. They know perfectly well why there isn't a straight pride. They've had it explained to them a thousand times. They ask because they want to quieten the voices of a marginalised group by pretending discrimination against them doesn't exist. Therefore gays are receiving special rights. "Why don't WE get that. WE'RE the oppressed ones!" You can reason with these people until you're blue in the face but next June you'll hear the same shit all over again.
I think most folk in the country don't really pay much attention to these issues, and generally let folk be.

They might make a smart-arse comment or silly joke, when faced with someone who's incredibly camp or gender fluid. But generally the atmosphere i find is 'live and let live', 'each to their own'.

We're a fairly tolerant country, and it's more and more difficult to get away with jokes or comments about these topics. It's slow progress, but it's progress.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I think most folk in the country don't really pay much attention to these issues, and generally let folk be.

They might make a smart-arse comment or silly joke, when faced with someone who's incredibly camp or gender fluid. But generally the atmosphere i find is 'live and let live', 'each to their own'.

We're a fairly tolerant country, and it's more and more difficult to get away with jokes or comments about these topics. It's slow progress, but it's progress.

Admittedly; I'm coming at this from the perspective of a US resident. The self-proclaimed lovers of freedom here spend a LOT of time trying to take freedom from others and attacking anyone who looks, lives, loves or thinks differently to them. All while painting themselves as victims.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I’d be tempted to agree with you, but having a look at the comments threads underneath the Sky Sports BLM videos on Facebook is genuinely eye opening.  I don’t think this country is as tolerant as we’d like to think.  I would say it’s a generational thing though - each generation is more open and tolerant than the one before.  None of the young folk I know give a flying fig about the sanctity of marriage or same sex relationships.  

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

So what you are saying is that originally there was a back and forth, but then when Marshmallo noticed the negative mindset that Moomin was in at that time, he changed his behaviour accordingly.

For anyone looking in from the outside, that appears to be the correct course of action, but you’ve got yourself in such a state over him that you are inexplicably turning that in to a negative. 

Take a step back. 

I think that 8Mile has realised that now, we can all be grumpy buggers at times but I genuinely believe that all the regulars on here will do everything they can to help each other out, that odd Dunfermline Chap will manage to injure himself in the process however and that Falkirk Chap is quite short.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

50% of LGBT Teens and 63% Trans teens have considered suicide.

Tolerance is an interesting word. Not to have a go at you, we all use it.

I’d be tempted to agree with you, but having a look at the comments threads underneath the Sky Sports BLM videos on Facebook is genuinely eye opening.  I don’t think this country is as tolerant as we’d like to think.  I would say it’s a generational thing though - each generation is more open and tolerant than the one before.  None of the young folk I know give a flying fig about the sanctity of marriage or same sex relationships.  
Comments section anywhere are a terrible reflection of society in general.

Trolls and blowhards. They're absolutely in the minority in this country.

If you push folk on certain issues i don't think the British public are particularly progressive or 'woke' - but most folk don't pay much attention to political debate and generally let folk be.

My issue with the trans debate (and it does only really apply to that), is that the nature of the online debate itself has caused issues for trans people in recent years. There's very little respect for alternative opinions or debate, and i think both sides are to blame for that.

But away from the online debate, most folk are happy to let folk do and be what they want to. Slowly but surely toilets are becoming gender neutral, which is sensible, and gradually more and more folk are being properly informed.

There are very specific scientific elements to the topic, and important ramifications for doctors and the nhs. But if people are afraid to openly engage the debate due to the consequences of saying the wrong thing, then that's not progressive.

As I've mentioned in the post above, i think that some of that comes from the nature of the online debate.

There's also been a general increase in poor mental health for young people (again, something that social media contributes to imo).

The digital revolution has transformed our society in massive ways, and one of the negative consequences is mental wellbeing.

As I've mentioned in the post above, i think that some of that comes from the nature of the online debate.

There's also been a general increase in poor mental health for young people (again, something that social media contributes to imo).

The digital revolution has transformed our society in massive ways, and one of the negative consequences is mental wellbeing.

Agree with this. I guess the other side is that social media probably helps trans youths in the sense that they’re able to see and interact with others with similar circumstances to them, in a way that they wouldn’t have been able to in the past?

In general, I think most people are tolerant enough in day to day life - get the sense that a lot of the numptees on Twitter wouldn’t have the balls to express these kind of views away from their screen or anonymous account, and might not even have the brains to think up their nonsense if some howler like Hopkins or Robinson hasn’t said it first.

It doesn’t make any online abuse acceptable obviously, and I’m not sure how you do anything about it. Better regulation perhaps.

No doubt about it, anxiety, depression and suicides for young people all up since its inception.

54 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Plenty folk think that unless you're explicitly shouting "poof" at someone then there isn't a homophobic atmosphere.