Cancel culture

4 hours ago, anotherchance said:

I’m not on about open and unashamed white supremacists and racists.

I’m on about people who’ll maybe question whether there’s more than two genders, whether BLM’s methods are the best way to go about things, or even just ignorant stuff like “why’s there not a straight pride?” and so on.

Assuming people like that are bigots is dangerous, and challenging disagreeable views like that is far more beneficial than casting the people who spout them as dangerous bigots, because they don’t immediately fall in line with the narrow range of views the echo chamber allows.

People who question why there isn’t a straight pride are almost definitely bigots. People who question whether there are more than two genders, in my experience, are bigots. People who “question whether BLM’s methods are the best way to go about things” are - on the whole, if they’re white - bigots.

5 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

People who question why there isn’t a straight pride are almost definitely bigots. People who question whether there are more than two genders, in my experience, are bigots. People who “question whether BLM’s methods are the best way to go about things” are - on the whole, if they’re white - bigots.

People can question whatever they like, imagine being part of a world where no one ever questioned anything and we all had the same thoughts. 

14 minutes ago, bennett said:

People can question whatever they like, imagine being part of a world where no one ever questioned anything and we all had the same thoughts. 

Of course they can. Question away, but don’t throw your toys out the pram and write public letters when you’re called out for being a bigot. And don’t expect a platform for your bigoted views. 

20 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Of course they can. Question away, but don’t throw your toys out the pram and write public letters when you’re called out for being a bigot. And don’t expect a platform for your bigoted views. 

Questioning something = being a bigot.

40 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

1. I would tend to agree.
  2. I would think all bigots question there are more than two genders but not everyone who does is a bigot. I was taught there are 2, or grammatically 4, genders at school. It is a huge question with a multitude of answers.   How many genders are there?
  3. I would agree but not everyone who questions BLMs intentions is a bigot.
15 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

So if, for example, someone questions your definition of gender, you are staying they shouldn't get a platform?   That people who say something you find offensive shouldn't get a platform, or, maybe say something the majority find offensive shouldn't be allowed a platform? 

Nah. I not accepting any if them. 

10 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I loved the Rab reference of “he stopped posting because of it”. No, he didn’t. He went utterly mental and started spamming relentlessly to the point he was banned, and has come back with about 100 aliases since that have also been banned.

What's a "Rab Reference"?  no idea what you're on about.  I see Mallo, you and his pals have been piling on today.  Has it ever occured to people that this is a form of cyber bullying? It needs called out.

Edited by Burnieman

14 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

Marshy loves a good wind up, if you are bothered by coloured squares get used to it. When it really matters he will have your back if you need it, don't take it personally like I once did.

It certainly isn't a wind-up, it's pretty disturbing behaviour.

40 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:
  1. I would tend to agree.
  2. I would think all bigots question there are more than two genders but not everyone who does is a bigot. I was taught there are 2, or grammatically 4, genders at school. It is a huge question with a multitude of answers.   How many genders are there?
  3. I would agree but not everyone who questions BLMs intentions is a bigot.

So if, for example, someone questions your definition of gender, you are staying they shouldn't get a platform?   That people who say something you find offensive shouldn't get a platform, or, maybe say something the majority find offensive shouldn't be allowed a platform? 

Nah. I not accepting any if them. 

No, I’m not saying that. I’m saying that people with bigoted views don’t have a right to platforms and shouldn’t throw their toys out the pram when they aren’t given platforms. Although those people usually tend to have platforms anyway, so the point is likely a moot one anyway. 

Christ, that's a lot of bigots.

I'm guessing that as you get older, you'll realise that life doesn't quite work like that.

Lots of bad people do great things, and lots of great people do bad things. Life and people are complicated, and rarely is stuff black and white.

4 minutes ago, chocolateankles said:

Why do people pick on other posters, what exactly is the point of flaming them all the time.  Isn't that against the rules, if not it should be. It's on line bullying.

It is also an example of the cancel culture. Prominent poster with gazillions of posts under their belt red dots a few posts because they don't like who is posting and his devout followers follow their lead because it's cool.  It's not cool.

You see it all the time on Twitter and Facebook, and like here it goes largely unregulated.

Life is difficult enough as it is at the moment for many and places like this should be a bit of a release and place to forget about your worries, not an unsafe bear pit where somebody can jump on you because they take a dislike.

Veteran posters should be afforded respect, I think that's pretty uncontroversial.

34 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Christ, that's a lot of bigots.

I'm guessing that as you get older, you'll realise that life doesn't quite work like that.

Lots of bad people do great things, and lots of great people do bad things. Life and people are complicated, and rarely is stuff black and white.

When “stuff” is LGBT rights and racism, then it is pretty black and white. But thanks for the condescension. 

When “stuff” is LGBT rights and racism, then it is pretty black and white. But thanks for the condescension. 
‘I’m guessing when you grow up you’ll be a bit more racist, homophobic and generally a bit more of a bigot.’

Some quality centrist content. 
If you're going to make posts that are immature in nature, then I'm going to call them out.

Is that not how it works?

In my experience, most people (certainly from the older generation) when asked about genders would give “two” as the answer.

Screaming at pensioners because they don’t know what gender fluid means is just nonsense.

56 minutes ago, chocolateankles said:

Why do people pick on other posters, what exactly is the point of flaming them all the time.  Isn't that against the rules, if not it should be. It's on line bullying.

It is also an example of the cancel culture. Prominent poster with gazillions of posts under their belt red dots a few posts because they don't like who is posting and his devout followers follow their lead because it's cool.  It's not cool.

You see it all the time on Twitter and Facebook, and like here it goes largely unregulated.

Life is difficult enough as it is at the moment for many and places like this should be a bit of a release and place to forget about your worries, not an unsafe bear pit where somebody can jump on you because they take a dislike.

Can't take anything a 64-post poster says seriously so didn't bother reading this.

Edited by Gordon EF

8 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

In my experience, most people (certainly from the older generation) when asked about genders would give “two” as the answer.

Screaming at pensioners because they don’t know what gender fluid means is just nonsense.

Think you mean "calling out bigots".