Cancel culture

Vue's showing it in about 6 cinemas nationwide. Wouldn't surprise me if this publicity is more than a little convenient, I'll be watching it now if I can, never heard of it before.

It seems like they’ve pulled together a load of daytime TV actors and made a historical epic of the Twelver Shia interpretation of early Islam. It seems to have annoyed everyone, the film has even been banned in Iran.

There does seem to have been some intimidation during the protests. 

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

You're right. Blasphemy laws only abolished in England and Wales. We are still in theory as backward as Northern Ireland.  

Although the protests were all in England so the point still stands. Dodgy area letting a few folk protesting stop the screening.

Reminiscent  of the fuss over Life of Brian in the 70s.

The blasphemy laws in England (now repealed as noted) only applied in respect of Christianity. 

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It seems like they’ve pulled together a load of daytime TV actors and made a historical epic of the Twelver Shia interpretation of early Islam. It seems to have annoyed everyone, the film has even been banned in Iran.

There does seem to have been some intimidation during the protests. 

From the film website it seems to be showing in Mali, bit of a hike though and a bit muslimy.

https://ladyofheaven.com/

Anyone would think that the distributors might have paid for the protests to happen.

That's certainly something that's never happened before  :whistle

20 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

You're right. Blasphemy laws only abolished in England and Wales. We are still in theory as backward as Northern Ireland.  

Although the protests were all in England so the point still stands. Dodgy area letting a few folk protesting stop the screening.

Reminiscent  of the fuss over Life of Brian in the 70s.

Ancient laws that haven't been used for aged can lose effect in Scotland without being explicitly repealed

Possibly the law against Blasphemy in Scotland had fallen into desuetude given that the last known prosecution was 1843 but that'll never be tested because the parliament got round to tidying it up with a minimum of fuss (which will be why you missed it)

Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021
PART 5 

16 Abolition of the offence of blasphemy
The common law offence of blasphemy is abolished.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2021/14/section/16/enacted

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for the film, it seems to be backed by a Buckinghamshire based Shia cleric, who considers Hezbollah and the Islamic Republic of Iran as sellouts. 

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Ancient laws that haven't been used for aged can lose effect in Scotland without being explicitly repealed

Possibly the law against Blasphemy in Scotland had fallen into desuetude given that the last known prosecution was 1843 but that'll never be tested because the parliament got round to tidying it up with a minimum of fuss (which will be why you missed it)

Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021
PART 5 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2021/14/section/16/enacted

Greenie for teaching me the word "desuetude". 

Thank you.

On 28/05/2022 at 15:56, velo army said:

Where would be a good place to look? I know I could google it, but I'm wondering if you have some oft visited news sites, youtubers or podcasts you like for this.

Firstly, apologies for taking so long to reply to this.

I would say the best resource I have found for this is the gender dysphoria bible. Its a really in depth look at what it means to be transgender and how gender dysphoria manifests, dispelling some of the more common misconceptions along the way. Its pretty long, so maybe more of a drop in and out when you have questions resource, but I would say that even if you only read the intro and first couple of sections you probably learn more about what it means to be transgender than is taught in Scottish schools, or at least was taught to me 10-15 years ago.

Similarly I find that turn me into a girl is also good, as are the transgender focussed subreddits (eg. r/asktransgender, r/mtf), probably more focussed towards people who are questioning their gender but a lot of useful info on what that process looks like.

Beyond that I would say its about finding sources where trans people talk about their own experiences. A couple of good examples would be the Youtuber Abigail Thorn's coming out videos here and here (the first is about being trans, the second about the challenges currently faced by trans people in the UK). I also like this interview with the actress Hunter Schafer.

Finally, I find it really helpful to watch TV/film with trans characters played by trans actors. There's not necessarily anything terribly wrong with films like Dallas Buyers Club where a cis actor plays a trans character but I feel like they tend to turn into an acting showcase for the actor to show how transformative they can be, how much range they have, rather than a real representation of a trans character. Finding shows where the trans characters were played by trans people who also therefore have input into the character and the creative process of the show was I would say the first time I've felt like I could start to properly understand and relate to a trans character on screen. Two I would recommend for that would be Euphoria (featuring the above mentioned Schafer who also wrote one of the episodes which is heavily based around the trans experience) and Pose (which is available on IPlayer and for which Michaela Jaé Rodriguez received an Emmy nomination).

Appreciate that I've written a lot there, and I'm not in any way saying that people need to have read/watched all of this but I think that dipping into a few of these resources would be helpful for most people. Also worth noting that what I've suggested above is very much biased towards trans women and that its not in any way an exhaustive list, just a list of things which have been useful to me.

13 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Firstly, apologies for taking so long to reply to this.

I would say the best resource I have found for this is the gender dysphoria bible. Its a really in depth look at what it means to be transgender and how gender dysphoria manifests, dispelling some of the more common misconceptions along the way. Its pretty long, so maybe more of a drop in and out when you have questions resource, but I would say that even if you only read the intro and first couple of sections you probably learn more about what it means to be transgender than is taught in Scottish schools, or at least was taught to me 10-15 years ago.

Similarly I find that turn me into a girl is also good, as are the transgender focussed subreddits (eg. r/asktransgender, r/mtf), probably more focussed towards people who are questioning their gender but a lot of useful info on what that process looks like.

Beyond that I would say its about finding sources where trans people talk about their own experiences. A couple of good examples would be the Youtuber Abigail Thorn's coming out videos here and here (the first is about being trans, the second about the challenges currently faced by trans people in the UK). I also like this interview with the actress Hunter Schafer.

Finally, I find it really helpful to watch TV/film with trans characters played by trans actors. There's not necessarily anything terribly wrong with films like Dallas Buyers Club where a cis actor plays a trans character but I feel like they tend to turn into an acting showcase for the actor to show how transformative they can be, how much range they have, rather than a real representation of a trans character. Finding shows where the trans characters were played by trans people who also therefore have input into the character and the creative process of the show was I would say the first time I've felt like I could start to properly understand and relate to a trans character on screen. Two I would recommend for that would be Euphoria (featuring the above mentioned Schafer who also wrote one of the episodes which is heavily based around the trans experience) and Pose (which is available on IPlayer and for which Michaela Jaé Rodriguez received an Emmy nomination).

Appreciate that I've written a lot there, and I'm not in any way saying that people need to have read/watched all of this but I think that dipping into a few of these resources would be helpful for most people. Also worth noting that what I've suggested above is very much biased towards trans women and that its not in any way an exhaustive list, just a list of things which have been useful to me.

That's an outstanding post mate, thank you. Lots to dip my toes into, that's for sure.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to do this.

29 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Even Joe Lycett is offensive these days. Wonder what the f**k someone felt was bad enough to phone the police on  him.

Joe Lycett standup joke investigated by police after complaint | Comedy | The Guardian

He probably used the word 'gammon'.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Even Joe Lycett is offensive these days. Wonder what the f**k someone felt was bad enough to phone the police on  him.

Joe Lycett standup joke investigated by police after complaint | Comedy | The Guardian

The amount of screen time he's given is bordering on offensive tbh. 

On 16/06/2022 at 20:01, MrWorldwideJr said:

The latest episode of Strange New Worlds had Jesse James Keitel as the main guest character. They didn't make a big deal about her character being trans, it was only really hinted at. What they did do was give her  tremendous role. She absolutely stole the episode. 

I found that a bigger deal than if they had made the whole script about her being trans, as other shows would have done. 

https://www.thecut.com/article/cancel-culture-high-school-teens.html

Really depressing article whichever way you look at it.  No-one comes out of this well.  I had previously thought that homeschooling was for nutcase fundamentalist yanks but reading this, I can see the attraction.