Cancel culture

While the fandom emerged alongside the social internet, it wasn’t until 2014 that Rowling herself embraced Twitter and embarked on a prolific posting career. Tweeting, she was delighted to discover, was writing. “You’re swimming in your own medium,” she told a 2015 interviewer. “Twitter for me has been an unmixed blessing.” Rowling too found she could be the person she wanted to be online. For her, this meant shrugging off the trappings of celebrity. “There came a point where Harry became so enormous that, at a reading, there were 2,000 people,” she explained. “You can’t answer everyone’s question. Twitter gave that back to me.”

It was also an ideal conduit for a constant stream of Harry Potter amendments. Readers learned that Fluffy, the three-headed dog, had been repatriated to Greece; that Luna Lovegood’s birthday was February 13; and that there was at least one Jewish student at Hogwarts (his name was Anthony Goldstein, and he was a Ravenclaw). They learned that Hogwarts was tuition-free and that, among wizards, homophobia did not exist. The journalist Brian Feldman’s tweet poking fun at her relentless output went viral: “*J. K. rowling wakes up* what’s today’s tweet *spins large bingo cage* hagrid … is … pansexual and … he later joined isis.”

In 2016, with a film adaptation of her fictional textbook Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on the horizon, Rowling released new writing on Pottermore. This time, she cast her gaze beyond Britain, to unfortunate effect. According to “Magic in North America,” the Magical Congress of the United States of America was founded in 1693, or 83 years before there was a United States. In 1777, wizard president Elizabeth McGilliguddy worked out of Washington, D.C., a city that did not then exist. While these mistakes were partially corrected on Pottermore, larger concerns remained: Rowling had taken the Navajo concept of shape-shifting “skin walkers” and adapted it to suit her magical world in a way that struck many Native American readers as trivializing. “Rowling is known for responding directly to fan questions on Twitter,” wrote Cherokee academic Adrienne Keene on her blog, Native Appropriations. “Despite thousands of tweets directed at her about these concerns, she has not addressed it at all.” Meanwhile, readers pointed out that the wizarding school Rowling placed in Uganda had a West African name; the wizarding school in Japan had a name that didn’t make sense in Japanese.

Flourish Klink now advises entertainment franchises on building relationships with fans. The approach Rowling took to global wizarding struck them as a waste. “She missed a big trick there,” Klink told me. There had been an opportunity to collaborate with writers who had relevant expertise, but it would have meant ceding some creative control. “People always get pissed off about anything where you’re using cultural beliefs in any way,” Klink said of the response to Rowling’s take on skin walkers. “But I think that if it had been well done, and in consultation with someone who had even a remote amount of knowledge about it, it would have been a lot less offensive.”

I enjoyed it.

I subscribe to the theory that Rowling only wrote the original Potter. She had a hand in the rest, but it was a team effort.

My submitted evidence includes, her embarrassing retcons and the abomination of the Striker novels.

16 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I subscribe to the theory that Rowling only wrote the original Potter. She had a hand in the rest, but it was a team effort.

My submitted evidence includes, her embarrassing retcons and the abomination of the Striker novels.

I like this idea.

You know that saying that Corbyn came out with about there being a novel in everyone, even complete fucking idiots whos brains have rotted? Well,

20 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

That was Steve Bruce but he and JK have a similar writing style.

12 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

That was Steve Bruce but he and JK have a similar writing style.

Have you ever seen JK Rowling and Steve Bruce in the same room together ?

EXACTLY

• 1 month later...

No idea where else to put this. Apparently the old pop culture darling Joss Whedon is taking a bit of a pounding for being a cock at the moment.

A lot of very generalised statements, but a bit light on specific allegations. Anyone know what he's supposed to have done?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56023198

Boobs are now being cancelled.

Midwives have been told to say “chestfeeding” instead of “breastfeeding” and to replace the term “mother” with “mother or birthing parent” as part of moves to be more trans-friendly.

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust is the first in the country to formally implement a gender inclusive language policy for its maternity services department, which will now be known as “perinatal services

Staff have been instructed that “breastmilk” should be replaced with the phrases “human milk”, “breast/chestmilk” or “milk from the feeding mother or parent”.

Other changes include replacing the use of “woman” with “woman or person” and “father” with “parent”, “co-parent” or “second biological parent”, depending on the circumstances