WoSFL Premier Division thread

20 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

If Clydebank fail to win the league with them currently in poll position and favorites for the league, would this season be seen as a failure for them given a very poor cup run?

Would they also consider if not promoted the premier non-league competition the Scottish Junior Cup, by far the most prestigious and also the most financially rewarding competition at our level. Or would they still view that as beneath them?

Thought u were a da££el fan? U don't need 2 worry about the paper hankies. Just u worry about learning a new song on the banjo and figuring out ur family tree haha 

Mon the papers 

1 hour ago, The nameless tim said:

Seen on Twitter Daz Christie & Adam Forde away to Johnstone Burgh. Seems like Pollok's financial issue is cause for great concern.

Are they not away on pre-contract deals? I am sure JB also have 2/3 of Beith players signed up on pre-contracts

12 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Are they not away on pre-contract deals? I am sure JB also have 2/3 of Beith players signed up on pre-contracts

Quite possibly. Big coup for JB as Forde in my opinion on his day is one of the best strikers in the league. Money talks as you cant imagine all these players playing regularly with all the competition for places at JB.

7 minutes ago, The nameless tim said:

Quite possibly. Big coup for JB as Forde in my opinion on his day is one of the best strikers in the league. Money talks as you cant imagine all these players playing regularly with all the competition for places at JB.

We were that team for a few years, bubble bursts eventually. That said I am surprised with Pollok's financial position in comparison to us they are a much bigger club and far higher attendances etc...I would have always of thought teams like Pollok, Talbot, Beith would be fairly steady on money front, never the biggest spenders however attractive clubs to play at. 

Football at this level has changed and I not sure for the better, players are much more money orientated, you see fewer and fewer testimonials these days. We were a big part of the inflated wages carry on however other teams were just as stupid following us. The ones that never are the ones slowly creeping back up. 

Pollok statement

Pollok FC can confirm that on Wednesday 7th February, the club held an EGM to discuss financial difficulties faced by the club at present. The meeting was a productive one, and we would like to place on record our thanks to the members who attended, and to all who have made financial contributions and offered their support.

As always, but particularly at this time, our door is open to individuals and businesses who believe they can help shape the future of the club.

The committee and membership are working tirelessly to tackle these problems and push the club towards a secure and sustainable future off the park, which we hope will bring us success on it. We would like to thank our members, supporters, and sponsors, particularly Westpoint Homes and Macfie & Co for their continued support of the club.

We would also like to record our sincere thanks to Stewart Maxwell, his staff, and playing squad for working so hard for the club under very difficult circumstances, due to a situation that is beyond their control. Maxi and his team retain the full support of the club, as we look ahead to next season and beyond.

This has been one of the most challenging periods in the club’s recent history but with these challenges comes new opportunities and by coming together Pollok can continue to be the Southside’s local team now, and for the years and decades to come

4 hours ago, The nameless tim said:

Seen on Twitter Daz Christie & Adam Forde away to Johnstone Burgh. Seems like Pollok's financial issue is cause for great concern.

Now, WHERE exactly on Twitter would that have been then?

Not on either Pollok or on Johnstone Burgh's accounts. 

Anyone might think you were making it up!

2 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

...That said I am surprised with Pollok's financial position in comparison to us they are a much bigger club and far higher attendances etc...

The expense associated with becoming licensed may have been part of it and maybe they gambled a bit and budgeted for going further in the Scottish Cup this season than they did? Long term I'm sure they will be fine given the size of their support.

15 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The expense associated with becoming licensed may have been part of it and maybe they gambled a bit and budgeted for going further in the Scottish Cup this season than they did? Long term I'm sure they will be fine given the size of their support.

Big gamble that, crazy way to conduct business if it was the case.

16 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Its Talbots to win 🙂

The shitshow at the top of the division just makes our terrible opening to the season all the more costly. We'd have been well placed to capitalise on this situation in a normal season. 

St Cadoc's showed today they are a good side going forward. Took their goals well and dominated midfield early on. Their defence however opened gaps for Burgh. Going from a 4 at back to 3 at back several times. Hard fought game that showed Burgh what to expect if hopefully they get promoted 

Talbot would likely overtake Clydebank on goal difference if we won our games in hand. Quite mad considering they had 6 points from our head to heads. 

I don't think for a minute we will do that BTW, but the rate that the main contenders are currently hemorrhaging points is a growing source of regret that we were so bad at the start of the season and have left ourselves too much to do to get back in the hunt. 7 or 8 points better off and I'd have given us as good a chance as anyone else at this point. I think that a few teams are still a bit better than us on paper but if their arses are beginning to squeak that would have leveled the playing field somewhat. 

Apart from that it's going to be an interesting run-in - Darvel, St Cadoc's, Clydebank, and Beith all possible winners.