WoSFL Premier Division thread

1 minute ago, beithboy said:

Do the teams coming down have a choice of where they go? for example if Dalbeattie star stay at the bottom of the lowland league and are relegated can they choose to go to west region rather than back to south league where they came from?  with a couple of teams already defected to the west (Threave, Bonnyton) they might see the west region as a more prosperous league bigger crowds etc.

It's something tha gets decided before the start of the season. Clubs have input, but it comes down to the leagues really. 

Dalbeattie & Gretna 2008 both set for the South apparently. 

On 13/08/2022 at 22:09, Sammo said:

Have you guys managed to keep the same squad as last season? Saw you at the end of the year last season and you looked a good team, hopefully kick on now and do ok 👍 

We have kept most of the squad mate with a few additions. I think we lost three or four but have replaced them. 

On 15/08/2022 at 15:47, Satori. said:

We have kept most of the squad mate with a few additions. I think we lost three or four but have replaced them. 

That’s good, looked like a good squad when I saw them last season. You manage to keep the young boy who was seen as a good prospect…number 16 I think?

On 15/08/2022 at 16:45, FairWeatherFan said:

It's something tha gets decided before the start of the season. Clubs have input, but it comes down to the leagues really. 

...what is the source of this information. Apparently doesn't really cut it.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

A bit like the 3 up 3 down tale on here.

Until it was pointed there's no guarantee of it being 3 down until we know what teams are promoted and relegated higher up the pyramid.

32 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

A bit like the 3 up 3 down tale on here.

Until it was pointed there's no guarantee of it being 3 down until we know what teams are promoted and relegated higher up the pyramid.

The 3 up 3 down is totally different.   Think everyone is agreed that it should be 3 up 3 down but it may change with more up and down due to who drops down from the Lowland or promoted to the Lowland etc..  I can see this scenario changing but its actually worked out well as you don't know whose safe until the final kick of every ball, even the playoffs 

Regrading what Association teams like Dalbeattie and Gretna go.  It's either they are told where they go due to their location or are they given a choice where to go, i.e. do they want to got to the SOSFL or maybe in their eyes more lucrative WOSFL or WOSFLF.  

Personally I don't think they should have  a choice, is should be decided but the powers above and Im thinking the SFA, (only if the SFA was run correctly and not out for their own gain or out to keep teams in the higher divisions happy)

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If you really wanted to know. Then you're well aware that the leagues and even individual clubs have ways of being contacted. Hell, you even know some office holders on here that you could ask.

It's a long season and any answer you receive will just make way for the usual conspiracy theories & speculation on what might happen.

Just to explain the background to this bizarre series of posts up until recently the idea that Gretna 2008 and Dalbeattie Star would be relegated into the SoS would have been reasonably clear cut but this season Threave Rovers are in the WoS. Castle Douglas where Threave Rovers play their home games is only five miles from Dalbeattie so there doesn't appear to be any clear geographical boundary between the WoS and SoS any more.

Dalbeattie Star are the club who are most likely to be relegated from the LL by the looks of things right now so it would be good if there were complete transparency on this matter on league websites so there is crystal clear clarity for the clubs that are in the relegation zones of the various WoS divisions and just as importantly their supporters over what happens if Dalbeattie and Gretna are the bottom two clubs in the LL this season. Should be easy enough to do and not something anybody needs to be getting worked up over.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Just to explain the background to this bizarre series of posts up until recently the idea that Gretna 2008 and Dalbeattie Star would be relegated into the SoS would have been reasonably clear cut but this season Threave Rovers are in the WoS. Castle Douglas where Threave Rovers play their home games is only five miles from Dalbeattie so there doesn't appear to be any clear geographical boundary between the WoS and SoS any more.

Dalbeattie Star are the club who are most likely to be relegated from the LL by the looks of things right now so it would be good if there were complete transparency on this matter on league websites so there is crystal clear clarity for the clubs that are in the relegation zones of the various WoS divisions and just as importantly their supporters over what happens if Dalbeattie and Gretna are the bottom two clubs in the LL this season. Should be easy enough to do and not something anybody needs to be getting worked up over.

Agreed it should be clear cut.

I would expect that if both Dalbeattie and Gretna don't apply to any league they would automatically go to the SOSFL due to their location !

If they did apply to the WOSFL, am I correct in thinking that the WOSFL member clubs would all have a vote to either allow them in or not.  If they voted them in then would that mean the clubs limit goes over the ceiling of 80 clubs ? (suppose hypothetically as it all has to work in, if the WOSFL premier winner lose playoff again and stay in the WOSFL). Also division 3, there will be at least 5 teams relegated, possibly 8 so those teams relegated would then be travelling to Dalbeattie, Gretna and possibly Threave if they don't get promoted in the one season which is a bit of travelling and cost so cant see any of those teams and even the rest of division 3 and teams relegated from division 2 voting the newcomers in.  Lots of ifs and but without doubt

Personally there should be a location boundary that clubs must go to the designed association throughout Scotland, (which I'm sure there is) but they should not be allowed to deviate, unless they fall on the edge of any boundary by a few miles

On 15/08/2022 at 15:45, FairWeatherFan said:

Are you sure about Gretna 2008? They are members of the East of Scotland FA. You’d think they would return to their parent association

Word was Gretna 2008 were actively angling for that last season behind the scenes. After it became a talking point on here they eventually tweeted that "as things stand" they would be relegated to the SoS. It should all be out in the open on league websites with no weasel words like that added to muddy the waters at the outset of every season.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, Man from the East said:

Are you sure about Gretna 2008? They are members of the East of Scotland FA. You’d think they would return to their parent association

Yes. Still going South. EoSFA has nothing to do with it. Just as it didn't for East Kilbride when they were a member of the EoSFA.

If you find all that a head scratcher consider the Caledonian Braves with their reserve side in the South of Scotland and membership to the SCFA.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Yes. Still going South. EoSFA has nothing to do with it. Just as it didn't for East Kilbride when they were a member of the EoSFA.

If you find all that a head scratcher consider the Caledonian Braves with their reserve side in the South of Scotland and membership to the SCFA.

I know ,,,, Caley Braves Bizzare!!!

I was recently discussing the Gretna scenario with an EoS board member - he  seemed to think they’d be falling into EoS premier if relegation was to happen in the near future

Edited by Man from the East

4 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

I know ,,,, Caley Braves Bizzare!!!

I was recently discussing the Gretna scenario with an EoS board member - he  seemed to think they’d be falling into EoS premier if relegation was to happen in the near future

All I know is what i've been told. I would think things would be far more public if either one of the D&G LL clubs switched leagues at this point due to the repercussions on relegation down multiple divisions in WoS & EoS. As well as bringing into question the SoS's overall standing at Tier 6.

I know Gretna 2008 are historical members of the EoSFL. Not sure how many would be keen going to Perth-Gretna a few times a year considering Jeanfield's already there and Luncarty/Kinnoull have been pretty decent since joining.

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

All I know is what i've been told. I would think things would be far more public if either one of the D&G LL clubs switched leagues at this point due to the repercussions on relegation down multiple divisions in WoS & EoS. As well as bringing into question the SoS's overall standing at Tier 6.

I know Gretna 2008 are historical members of the EoSFL. Not sure how many would be keen going to Perth-Gretna a few times a year considering Jeanfield's already there and Luncarty/Kinnoull have been pretty decent since joining.

Yes that was the point I was making to that official. The logistics and costs seem to be absurd for other league members. I think there’s an issue on the standing of the SoSL as you say,,,, is their level in the pyramid justified?

I know the pyramid is a network and all being equal, the various divisions are of similar levels of ability and capability. In reality that’s not the case. Now is the time identify a problem and to resolve it. The longer it continues the greater it becomes.

I suspect that the SoS already suspect that change is required. In reality they are punching above their weight. 

On 19/08/2022 at 19:44, Sammo said:

That’s good, looked like a good squad when I saw them last season. You manage to keep the young boy who was seen as a good prospect…number 16 I think?

I think you are talking about young Aaron Healy.  Yes we managed to keep him but god knows for how much longer. He destroyed Medda last week. Needs to beef up a bit but he has superb skills.  For the moment he is in the right place but he will move on.