2020/21 final positions

On 25/07/2020 at 10:24, crispy said:

I’m curious to know from fans of other teams whether they think they are starting the season stronger or weaker than they ‘finished’ last.
If we lose Dykes we might be less potent in attack; Hibs have made additions; Celtic are Forster-less...

*shrugs*

Its unlikely Rooney can be as bad as Ralston, while Drey Wright is the only regular we actually lost i think.

No idea about the loan players but they've been impressive in pre-season apparently. They were also signed on ability rather than just becthey were cheap and available. 

Think you'd have to say weaker after losing TW, but nobody really knows how Davidson will do.

Assuming we sign a good first choice keeper and a passable back-up (as is rumoured) I think we'll be stronger than last year, because we actually appear to be embracing a little known thing called squad depth this time around. A bunch of players left in the summer, but these were mainly youth players and only ones who're worth bothering about are O'Donnell and Del Fabro.

Both our goalkeepers last season were rotten. If we can get Bachmann in as rumoured then that is fantastic news, he was arguably the best keeper in the league two seasons ago. Rogers would be handy back-up to him.

At right-back we've directly replaced O'Donnell with McGowan, who obviously isn't quite at the same level but is a similar type of player, is still young and has a lot of experience at this level already. Millen is still there as back-up

At centre-back we haven't really replaced Del Fabro - we've brought in Rossi from Bournemouth but you'd assume he'll be a back-up to Broadfoot and Findlay, who finished last season as first choice anyway. I think another option might be useful, though we do have Waters and Dicker who are both capable of filling in there. There's the young boy Brindley who has been kept on but I don't know much about him.

Haunstrup seems like a good signing for left-back, and like McGowan on the other side he's young and has a point to prove. Should definitely be an upgrade on Hamalainen based on reports from Portsmouth fans and the little bits I've seen on him. Waters has always seemed competent when he played for us and got a full season under his belt at St Mirren last year.

In the middle of the park we still have a very strong trio in Dicker, Power and El Makrini, plus young Taylor who will be hoping to make an impact. Tshibola has been linked with a return, and was at Rugby Park through the week - I'd be happy with him, I think he was underrated when he was here before and he'd provide a bit more of an attacking edge than the others.

Out wide we've added Pinnock to Burke, McKenzie and Kiltie, so we have a decent variety of options. Not sure if Whitehall can also play out there.

Up front, Kabamba and Brophy seemed to be forging a strong partnership before we stopped. I have a feeling Kabamba is going to have a very good season, he hit the ground running when he signed and seems like he's done well in pre-season. We've brought in Whitehall as back-up and also have big Cameron who might be due a breakout season if we don't sign anyone else. There's also another young player Kyle Connell who might get a few chances.

Edited by craigkillie

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

Its unlikely Rooney can be as bad as Ralston, while Drey Wright is the only regular we actually lost i think.

No idea about the loan players but they've been impressive in pre-season apparently. They were also signed on ability rather than just becthey were cheap and available. 

Think you'd have to say weaker after losing TW, but nobody really knows how Davidson will do.

You’ll be fine, as you always are.  I must say, your keeper had possibly the worst game I can remember since the old third division, and that can’t be allowed to continue, but assuming it doesn’t you’ve got three very decent centre backs and you can start the basis of a successful team in Scotland from there.  

As for County, we’ve gone from having no winger to having no left back, and from having two managers to having one.  Every weakness has been addressed - Fontaine, right back, skilful bloke and unknown quantity - but how well they’ve been addressed remains to be seen.   Christ knows, in short.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

You’ll be fine, as you always are.  I must say, your keeper had possibly the worst game I can remember since the old third division, and that can’t be allowed to continue, but assuming it doesn’t you’ve got three very decent centre backs and you can start the basis of a successful team in Scotland from there.  

Clark is a huge worry. He was horrendous last season, a total bombscare. The goal he conceded against Motherwell at home (I think @capt_oats has a gif of it) is genuinely the most embarrassing goal I've ever seen any goalkeeper concede at any level.

His back up, Parish, is just as bad. One of those keepers who just cannot keep a clean sheet.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clark is a huge worry. He was horrendous last season, a total bombscare. The goal he conceded against Motherwell at home (I think @capt_oats has a gif of it) is genuinely the most embarrassing goal I've ever seen any goalkeeper concede at any level.

His back up, Parish, is just as bad. One of those keepers who just cannot keep a clean sheet.

I do indeed.

giphy.gif&key=99c1333296a00f74a87949a16a

14 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I like how the Motherwell players can’t even bring themselves to celebrate.

You can tell its a shocker as the Saints players don't even berate him.

I was sat in the posh seats, and not one fan near me, nor Tommy Wright himself, even raised their voice after it went in. Just a collective shake of the head all round.

59 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I like how the Motherwell players can’t even bring themselves to celebrate.

I hadn't really noticed until I re-posted it but Clark lying face first on the turf in the last couple of frames really makes the whole thing for me.

Think we're actually stronger than last season, and for once we're looking well stacked up front too, with 3 strikers signed, just hoping that Dykes is here till at least January, by that time we'll see if Sal & Poplatnik would do well enough for Dykes not to be as big a loss. Forrest has impressed in pre season, and looks like a great replacement for Lawless.

Quietly optimistic of doing really well this season.