OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

If Hearts end up fourth, and Caley win the cup, Hearts would have to get through the third qualifying round then the play off round before getting to the group stages. If they're fifth it's an extra qualifying round.

Call me a mad cynic and accuse me of lacking an ability to dream, but I am assuming Celtic will win the Cup.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'd agree with that, the last couple of seasons have seen all three sides below average.

Although Hearts raced away with 3rd last year, I thought it was more a sign of the abject challenge from both Hibs and Aberdeen that provided that opportunity for Hearts to reach Europe at a canter.

This season, a run of seven or eight wins was enough for the Dons to reach third.

It'll be interesting to see how we handle the domestic and European fronts next season if Celtic do indeed win the Cup.

We didn't have much backing up a core of 11 or 12 players this season.

I think Hearts had quite a big squad this season but still found the balancing act difficult.

I wonder if this will start a curse of no club being able to finish 3rd in consecutive seasons?

Below average is a bit harsh imo. With everyone fit we're a good side but you have to expect injuries and compensate with signings. Hibs have missed key players too this year. When considering the squads as a whole they're all about average I think, probably shouldn't be competing for third under normal circumstances. 

Boyce and Halkett got done in European games, I'm not sure what impact it has so long as you're spending the £3m Euro profit on players to compensate. We only spent a third of it apparently. 

Its interesting that I've seen each of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs play good stuff and terrible stuff and that away form has been poor for each side. Is this a consequence of playing more possession based football out from the back? Who knows but confidence and team work has been an issue for all three sides. 

Anyway I would be miserable this summer and desperate for club football to resume to make up for it but I've remembered the Scotland double header this June and we're DEFINITELY qualifying so I'll be too busy soaking that up to care about hearts for a while.

1 hour ago, Falcor Roar said:

Below average is a bit harsh imo. With everyone fit we're a good side but you have to expect injuries and compensate with signings. Hibs have missed key players too this year. When considering the squads as a whole they're all about average I think, probably shouldn't be competing for third under normal circumstances.

At full strength I think Hearts have the deepest squad and would probably be third. Hibs had extensive injury problems too. Aberdeen are really the only side that's had a more or less uninterrupted season in that regard, and that's pretty much made the difference for them.

People say all the time that the side that finishes third (that isn't my side) is just finishing third in a poor league, and I doubt that will ever change.

But it's certainly been a strange season. I can't believe this Hibs side looks likely to play European football. Without Boyle they are an absolute shower. I don't mean that in some kind of internet-baity way. They're just not a good Hibs side.

Interesting summer ahead.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Although Hearts raced away with 3rd last year, I thought it was more a sign of the abject challenge from both Hibs and Aberdeen that provided that opportunity for Hearts to reach Europe at a canter.

I'm not being funny or argumentative, but, of course you thought that. You're an Aberdeen fan and that's the coping mechanism more or less any time Hearts finish third. And the glorious thing about it, for all of us, is that we can all say that any time we like and it'll be partly true. Because of course a club's success is helped by rivals failing. Would Aberdeen have finished third this year if Hearts hadn't fucked up the January window?

Last season Hearts finished with more points than Aberdeen will get this season despite putting the tools away with five games to go, and made it to a cup final. It was an impressive season any way you look at it. But we all see things through the prism of our own teams, so you focus on a side who finished tenth and were never in the discussion for a European place. That's just what fitba fans do. We're all the same.

2 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

Call me a mad cynic and accuse me of lacking an ability to dream, but I am assuming Celtic will win the Cup.

If Hibs beat Hearts on Saturday, and Caley win the Cup, Hearts will be in the League Cup group stages.

39 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If Hibs beat Hearts on Saturday, and Caley win the Cup, Hearts will be in the League Cup group stages.

Well yes, but like I said, the latter part at least is certainly not going to happen.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm not being funny or argumentative, but, of course you thought that. You're an Aberdeen fan and that's the coping mechanism more or less any time Hearts finish third. And the glorious thing about it, for all of us, is that we can all say that any time we like and it'll be partly true. Because of course a club's success is helped by rivals failing. Would Aberdeen have finished third this year if Hearts hadn't fucked up the January window?

Last season Hearts finished with more points than Aberdeen will get this season despite putting the tools away with five games to go, and made it to a cup final. It was an impressive season any way you look at it. But we all see things through the prism of our own teams, so you focus on a side who finished tenth and were never in the discussion for a European place. That's just what fitba fans do. We're all the same.

Hearts fans are very quick to point out we benefitted from you continually making an arse if it and getting relegated when we had mcinnes. Which we did, but it’s not our problem. 

I’d say it’s a fairly basic concept that teams performing well do better than those that don’t. It usually shows up in one of those league type competition things. 

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm not being funny or argumentative, but, of course you thought that. You're an Aberdeen fan and that's the coping mechanism more or less any time Hearts finish third. 

You do realise that in the last eleven seasons, Hearts have finished above Aberdeen once.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hearts fans are very quick to point out we benefitted from you continually making an arse if it and getting relegated when we had mcinnes. Which we did, but it’s not our problem. 

I’d say it’s a fairly basic concept that teams performing well do better than those that don’t. It usually shows up in one of those league type competition things. 

I mean, you've just repeated my point.

59 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You do realise that in the last eleven seasons, Hearts have finished above Aberdeen once.

The weird thing is Hearts have won the majority of the head to head games between the teams over the last eleven seasons. Aberdeen obviously more consistent against the shite.

25 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

The weird thing is Hearts have won the majority of the head to head games between the teams over the last eleven seasons. Aberdeen obviously more consistent against the shite.

If you finish above a team in a 38 game season, you're better than them. That's what a league proves. 

59 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Is that a fact?  I know our Tynecastle record isn't great, but can recall at least three wins there.

Last time Hearts won at Pittodrie was around 7 years back, and I think that was an end of season dead rubber.

28 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Is that a fact?  I know our Tynecastle record isn't great, but can recall at least three wins there.

Last time Hearts won at Pittodrie was around 7 years back, and I think that was an end of season dead rubber.

Yes it's a fact, it's lose but Hearts have won more games than Aberdeen.