OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

On 18/08/2024 at 14:32, Der Panzer said:

Is Aberdeens first choice midfield not basically the same as the one that scraped to avoid relegation last year? 

Looking at the Aberdeen side I’d say you look weaker than last season with the loss of Hoilett and Miovski - albeit you’ve strengthened in goal. 

Pleasing.

You could maybe put Dundee/Falkirk down to bad days at the office due to the nature of the goals/amount of changes. Today was just fundamentally abysmal. 

Last season we were a largely dull team who was successful by being solid defensively, rarely making errors and hardly ever conceding from set pieces. I'm not writing Salazar and (especially) Taylor off yet but they introduced those errors and lack of positional discipline today. All three goals can be directly attributed to the two of them.

The other reason we were successful was Shankland having an incredible season, but we were very obviously over-reliant on him for goals. Even though this was our biggest area for improvement, not a thing seems to have been done about it in the summer. Dhanda and Spittal have been signed despite the manager apparently not having a clue what he wants to do with them.

The first issue is pretty fixable with what we have. Penrice has looked steady and will probably come back in. That hardly moves us on compared to last season though.

The second issue is not, and if Shankland has even a mediocre season we're in big trouble unless we can add some more quality in the next week.

We started the summer with guaranteed money coming in and all of our best players under contract. 3 months later it looks like we have - at best - added a few solid squad players and maybe some guys with potential. Early days, but it's looking like another wasted opportunity. 

As for Naismith, he was successful in building a solid foundation last year and he got some leeway for the dull football because results were good. That leeway is evaporating rapidly.

On 18/08/2024 at 21:32, Der Panzer said:

Is Aberdeens first choice midfield not basically the same as the one that scraped to avoid relegation last year? 

Looking at the Aberdeen side I’d say you look weaker than last season with the loss of Hoilett and Miovski - albeit you’ve strengthened in goal. 

Nilsen, heskinen and palaversa replaced Barron and Hoilett. Palaversa is unknown but he's went for 7 million before so must be decent. Nilsen and Heskinen are huge upgrades.  Polvara was excellent towards the end of last season and Clarkson for me is the best player outside the old firm, when not managed by Robson or Warnock.

We've had decent midfields in recent years - severin Nicholson, flood Robson, shinnie jack McLean but this is the strongest we've been in there for decades. 

Biggest difference is the manager, after Robson Warnock and Goodwin we deserve thelin. 

5 minutes ago, gazelle83 said:

Nilsen, heskinen and palaversa replaced Barron and Hoilett. Palaversa is unknown but he's went for 7 million before so must be decent. Nilsen and Heskinen are huge upgrades.  Polvara was excellent towards the end of last season and Clarkson for me is the best player outside the old firm, when not managed by Robson or Warnock.

We've had decent midfields in recent years - severin Nicholson, flood Robson, shinnie jack McLean but this is the strongest we've been in there for decades. 

Biggest difference is the manager, after Robson Warnock and Goodwin we deserve thelin. 

Keskinen 

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

Is it too simplistic to say Naismith is not a very good coach / manager and that Shankland carried the team last season?

Well aye, very much so.

Shankland has always been a streaky player, going back to when he was in Aberdeen reserves. I’d be worried that the 2024/25 Shankland is actually the more authentic one.

Hes got a massive attitude problem, another thing he has carried his whole career. 

4 hours ago, jonty said:

Pleasing.

Still very early days - I’d say the most surprising thing has been the incompetence of Hearts.

Aberdeens favourable fixture list has seen them consistently play teams tired from European adventures and a rotten St Johnstone - sterner tests to come for the Dandies but an encouraging start. 

Enjoy it while it lasts though - 100%

3 hours ago, gazelle83 said:

Palaversa is unknown but he's went for 7 million before so must be decent.

This logic is flawed.

I agree Aberdeen have had a kind start, and shouldn’t get carried away.

But don’t be thinking this is just your standard decent start to the season from an also ran.

Our manager knows what he is doing, we have one defeat (on pens) in 18. The most expensive signing outside the old firm since the 90’s, plus  a 7million Croatian, and 2million striker. Our best signing tho has for me been nillson, what a player. And our keeper isn’t bad either. 

Strength in depth with Polvara and Clarkson due back soon. Our youth’s won the league last year too.

Lost our best player but now have a big financial reserve, which we are using.

Im told one more big signing for Aberdeen incoming this week….

Chin up chaps…

1 hour ago, jonty said:

But don’t be thinking this is just your standard decent start to the season from an also ran.

Our manager knows what he is doing, we have one defeat (on pens) in 18. The most expensive signing outside the old firm since the 90’s, plus  a 7million Croatian, and 2million striker. Our best signing tho has for me been nillson, what a player. And our keeper isn’t bad either. 

Strength in depth with Polvara and Clarkson due back soon. Our youth’s won the league last year too.

Chin up chaps…

Sounds a lot like you are getting carried away.

1 hour ago, jonty said:

Chin up chaps…

You’ll finish 3rd at best. Nothing to get excited about until we get rid of the 2 erse cheeks.

23 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

You’ll finish 3rd at best. Nothing to get excited about until we get rid of the 2 erse cheeks.

“They were doing cartwheels in the dressing room about getting a point. It really disappointed me that…”