OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

I just meant in terms of how he signed for Hearts. He had already turned down a new deal at Utd after interest from Hearts and, going into the final 6 months of his contract, ended up signing for Hearts in the January for a likely nominal sum.

I am not doubting you, but it's so long ago, I can't really remember all the details. I'd need to go back and read some articles from the time. I do remember that he wasn't flavour of the day amongst United supporters, and that he wasn't happy being played out of position though.

At other times, we have generally kept the announcement quiet in these sort of circumstances. Halkett, Barr and a couple of others. 

One that sticks out in my mind however, was Ian Black from Inverness. When he signed the pre-contract it was made public. Terry Butcher at that time went to the papers saying that he doesn't think pre-contracts are legally watertight, and that he will try and persuade Ian Black not to honour the one he signed with HMFC. 😄

17 minutes ago, Empty It said:
21 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:
Oh, I don't really blame Rangers for trying to get good players for as little as possible. It is just the way it goes really. I'm more focused on what Hearts do next if he does sign a pre-contract there. Neilson wants to keep playing him, but the fans wouldn't react well to that. Neilson has built a fair amount of good credit back up again, after the fans turning on him for the money spinner comments and shite Europa League qualification efforts in his first term as manager, and Brora Rangers last season. He will not want to return to the days of the fans ripping in to him again. 
On the Dundee United thing though. Are you sure that's how it went? I can't remember exactly, but i think he had been moved in to defensive midfield, and he was struggling.

I've got my "Neilson out" banner and my airplane at the ready.

Me annaw:

813D5B2C-E64C-4B8F-80DF-ADB5980E3F00.jpeg

Edited by Kyle Reese

regarding pre contracts a simple solution to prevent it ever happening to us again with any of our players on three year contracts if we want to keep our player then as he approaches the second year we should if we intend to keep him or not offer him an extended contract and if he delays accepting it stick him  on the transfer list that transfer window immediately. That solves any hanky panky by agents etc as the following january window approaches. It's how I would overcome it.

Doesn’t that just move the whole problem 6 months earlier?

5 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Just noise in the media at the moment. Sky joined the choir today though.

Was always one of the possibilities - der *** will then have to decide whether to offer a few quid to get him now or let him stay for now - I'd rather not risk having him cause a stink in the dressing room. 

7 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Was always one of the possibilities - der *** will then have to decide whether to offer a few quid to get him now or let him stay for now - I'd rather not risk having him cause a stink in the dressing room. 

Especially not that particular fragrance. Still, at least Halliday would start bringing him coffee and carrying his bags.

15 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Doesn’t that just move the whole problem 6 months earlier?

nope they don't have the leverage and hard cash offers will be coming in for the player within a short period of time and no low ball offers /gifts they may give  or not to the club and no more worrying about getting stiffed.

If he has signed with us, Hearts don't have much option other than to sell I don't think. He's professional enough that he'd still give his all for Hearts I'm sure, but the fans always turn against a player who's signed a pre-contract with someone else (see Motherwell fans and Tony Watt right now, Jordan Jones and Killie a few years back etc). It rarely ends well.

Unfortunate for Hearts, but it's the way it goes I suppose. They've signed plenty of players that way too, and we've lost plenty of players through Bosmans as well (and will lose another in Goldson possibly this window). C'est la vie, as the Germans say.

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

If he has signed with us, Hearts don't have much option other than to sell I don't think. He's professional enough that he'd still give his all for Hearts I'm sure, but the fans always turn against a player who's signed a pre-contract with someone else (see Motherwell fans and Tony Watt right now, Jordan Jones and Killie a few years back etc). It rarely ends well.

Unfortunate for Hearts, but it's the way it goes I suppose. They've signed plenty of players that way too, and we've lost plenty of players through Bosmans as well (and will lose another in Goldson possibly this window). C'est la vie, as the Germans say.

We have the option to be petty as f**k and stick him in the stand for 6 months. I'd prefer that one.

4 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Fair enough, though - it's been a tough week for rangers with the whole Prince Andrew carry on. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-to-mark-royal-wedding-with-free-1101029

And the Jambos are expecting a flood of calls to take up the ticket deal with a spokesman saying: "The Royal Wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton has captivated the nation and as a club we wanted to do something special to mark the historic occasion.

"With that in mind we are giving away a free ticket to all Hearts fans called William or Kate for Saturday's league game against Motherwell.

"We have nearly 2000 on our database so the ticket centre is expecting a busy time of it as the game approaches - but Wills and Kate are worth it!"

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

We have the option to be petty as f**k and stick him in the stand for 6 months. I'd prefer that one.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to keep one of your top earners out of the side just to make a point to all your other players (or prospective players) that they'll be punished for leaving under long-established freedom of contract rules tbh. I'd be surprised if Joe Savage entertained that one.

If he went to England under freedom of contract rules it wouldn't be an issue. Going to a team your fans hate, in the same division is never going to be the same. And the club should be actively discouraging that. It won't happen, but I'd prefer it than taking something stupid like £200k.

Realistically I don't think we'll sell unless it's decent money. Neilson will trust him to be focused and will think it's worth more for him to play and help us get European football. He won't get a good reception at all from the fans though, especially initially.

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

If he went to England under freedom of contract rules it wouldn't be an issue. Going to a team your fans hate, in the same division is never going to be the same. And the club should be actively discouraging that. It won't happen, but I'd prefer it than taking something stupid like £200k.

Realistically I don't think we'll sell unless it's decent money. Neilson will trust him to be focused and will think it's worth more for him to play and help us get European football. He won't get a good reception at all from the fans though, especially initially.

The problem is every single Hearts player with future career prospects would jump at the chance to join the Old Firm, and will perceive any "punishment" by Hearts executives for doing so under freedom of contract extremely negatively. It's more likely to lead to you losing more players on Bosmans than less, IMO, because those players would prefer to move to a club that won't punish them for exercising their contractual rights.

Like I said, it's just the way it goes. If Goldson signs a pre-contract with someone else, we'll have to sell him in this window too. The idea of sending him to train with the bomb squad is an absolute non-starter.

We've seen this movie before anyway, with both Kamara and Wright. If a deal isn't done by the time Rangers announce his pre-contract, then it'll be done on the last day of the window. 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

The problem is every single Hearts player with future career prospects would jump at the chance to join the Old Firm, and will perceive any "punishment" by Hearts executives for doing so under freedom of contract extremely negatively. It's more likely to lead to you losing more players on Bosmans than less, IMO, because those players would prefer to move to a club that won't punish them for exercising their contractual rights.

Like I said, it's just the way it goes. If Goldson signs a pre-contract with someone else, we'll have to sell him in this window too. The idea of sending him to train with the bomb squad is an absolute non-starter.

We've seen this movie before anyway, with both Kamara and Wright. If a deal isn't done by the time Rangers announce his pre-contract, then it'll be done on the last day of the window. 

I couldn't give a f**k about players feelings tbh. If they join a rival in the same league, they shouldn't be playing for us going forward.  That's not unique to Hearts, Motherwell dropped Tony Watt.

23 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

I think you might be grossly over-estimating the pull of the Ugly Sisters to some players.

Yep. I think they are obviously an attraction for a few reasons; money, medals, European participation etc, but that is purely in comparison to HMFC. There are plenty more attractive moves for a player out there, than that. Most of us who support non-OF teams realise that the value of an SPFL winners medal is the equivalent of winning a two horse race. It's just not that prestigious. Putting a star above your badge for every ten your club (and it's predecessor) has won in their joint history is equal parts risible and hilarious. Where they do have an edge over clubs down south, or the ones on the continent (that we would likely be losing players to directly), is the European competition part. Hickey made a sensible move, and I'd hope that many more are brave enough to do similar, if given the opportunity to do so, in the future. 

Edited by Kyle Reese

5 minutes ago, pansjambo said:

If Andrew signs for der *** can he not just keep his titles ?

He could just take on ownership of those from a (now dead) Royal of the past, instead. William of Orange or somebody.