Conspiracy Theories

52 minutes ago, Detournement said:

When you look into that murder it seems more likely it's a bogus insanity defence than a Q true believer.

If people start attacking Hollywood stars and bigwigs because of Q then I'd say it's natural justice for how shit movies are these days. 

Movies have always been mostly shite. It's just easier to remember good ones and forget dross as time passes. 

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Movies have always been mostly shite. It's just easier to remember good ones and forget dross as time passes. 

There are definitely fewer 'great' movies being made now. 

I'm following a Greatest Movie Ever voting bracket on Twitter and the 2010s are by far the weakest decade. 

75,000 children a year used to be disabled by polio in Africa. 
Today's news informed me that a vaccination programme has now wiped out natural occurring polio on the continent.
What about that then, anti-vaxxer twats?
Aye, but aye, but government control. And choice. And stuff.

And things.

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

75,000 children a year used to be disabled by polio in Africa. 

Today's news informed me that a vaccination programme has now wiped out natural occurring polio on the continent.

What about that then, anti-vaxxer twats?

The good thing is that anti-vaxxers will gradually succumb to the unnatural polio variety, transmitted by sensible types who have taken the vaccine.

Edited by welshbairn

There are definitely fewer 'great' movies being made now. 
I'm following a Greatest Movie Ever voting bracket on Twitter and the 2010s are by far the weakest decade. 
In my teens, I went through a period of collecting film review books from charity shops. Yes, I was always this cool.

One I wish I still had was by a guy who stated in his foreward that cinema died at the end of the Fifties; he'd never seen a "classic" film made after that. His opinions on the modern greats were incredible. "3/10 would not bang" was his most charitable sentiment for films like ET, Easy Rider, and Star Wars.

I'm guessing it's a generational taste thing rather than that the current crop of young filmmakers don't know how to make the stories good with the moving pictures. The middle-aged fuds of 2040 will still be raving about the new films they're currently watching.

35 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

In my teens, I went through a period of collecting film review books from charity shops. Yes, I was always this cool.

One I wish I still had was by a guy who stated in his foreward that cinema died at the end of the Fifties; he'd never seen a "classic" film made after that. His opinions on the modern greats were incredible. "3/10 would not bang" was his most charitable sentiment for films like ET, Easy Rider, and Star Wars.

I'm guessing it's a generational taste thing rather than that the current crop of young filmmakers don't know how to make the stories good with the moving pictures. The middle-aged fuds of 2040 will still be raving about the new films they're currently watching.

Nope, art forms can peak or decline. No one thinks that 20th century oil painting or 21st century symphony music compares with the greats of those forms. 

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Nope, art forms can peak or decline. No one thinks that 20th century oil painting or 21st century symphony music compares with the greats of those forms. 

Of course not. Anyone with talents in those areas is working in film.

2 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Boomer talk I know, but my immune system boxed off measles, German measles, chickenpox, the mumps et al while still at Primary School. 

I'm still 100 percent in favour of vaccines. 

I know of someone who had diptheria in childhood.  Playing with friends on Saturday.  Dead on Tuesday.  We don't hear about that now because there is a vaccine.

Similarly measles killed millions before there was a vaccine.

Some people think a vaccine is simply an alternative to a few days sick in bed.

It's not.

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I know of someone who had diptheria in childhood.  Playing with friends on Saturday.  Dead on Tuesday.  We don't hear about that now because there is a vaccine.

Similarly measles killed millions before there was a vaccine.

Some people think a vaccine is simply an alternative to a few days sick in bed.

It's not.

I think that's how most people think of these viruses. I never remember hearing anything about people dying from things like measles when I was a kid. Guaranteed that 99% of kids I knew would've laughed at the suggestion; how absurd.

Still, seems like we're working towards a reminder. Coolio.

One of my favourite things about conspiracy theories is people who bemoan batshit crazy conspiracy theories while simultaneously believing in conspiracy that are almost as batshit crazy as the ones they dislike.

Just now, ICTChris said:

One of my favourite things about conspiracy theories is people who bemoan batshit crazy conspiracy theories while simultaneously believing in conspiracy that are almost as batshit crazy as the ones they dislike.

Don’t be a sheeple.  Read this geocities website and eat in every single word it says without question.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/germany-catholic-chiefs-reject-cardinals-coronavirus-conspiracy-theories/a-53384164

What do folk think about the case of Willie McRae? Lawyer and SNP activist found dead in his car with a gunshot wound to the head. McRae was vocally/actively against trident and was at the time apparently working to counter plans for a nuclear waste dump into the sea. A dodgy police investigation leaves the death "undetermined" but the evidence rules out a suicide. SNP investigation hits "a brick wall" as police refuse to give access to certain information. Appears to be strong evidence McRae was under surveillance with a retired private investigator coming out in 2006 to say he was "anonymously employed" to watch McRae just weeks before his death.

British government killing a guy who had plans to thwart a waste dump or am I batshit crazy?

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What do folk think about the case of Willie McRae? Lawyer and SNP activist found dead in his car with a gunshot wound to the head. McRae was vocally/actively against trident and was at the time apparently working to counter plans for a nuclear waste dump into the sea. A dodgy police investigation leaves the death "undetermined" but the evidence rules out a suicide. SNP investigation hits "a brick wall" as police refuse to give access to certain information. Appears to be strong evidence McRae was under surveillance with a retired private investigator coming out in 2006 to say he was "anonymously employed" to watch McRae just weeks before his death.

British government killing a guy who had plans to thwart a waste dump or am I batshit crazy?

With only that information, it sounds unlikely that it would be the government. Their track record of riding roughshod over environmental rules to do what they like suggests that they wouldn't have to bother. 

There were probably a number of potential contractors, landowners and general spivs involved as well as government personnel not acting entirely in a government capacity. 

Would a more plausible explanation not be that he found some scam or corruption that threatened someone's livelihood or reputation? 

That wouldn't rule out police/government complicity in keeping a lid on it. 

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The only article I've read about that was on some random's blog about 10 years ago. Describes events exactly as you do right here. On face value it appears to stink to high heaven, but then I think you have to be wary about these types of sources taking liberties with facts. 

The Dyatlov Pass Incident springs to mind as a pertinent example. The internet has, for years, been covered in articles by individuals, reproduced on blogs etc, that embellish the facts of this incident and deliberately omit contextual information, so that it seems something sinister or extra-terrestrial must have taken place, when in fact the reality is a bit more mundane, even though it is an odd, unusual, and remarkable event by itself. 

In terms of McRae; I think there must be a lot of things that go on entirely outside of any direct 'government' knowledge or jurisdiction. The CIA are known to be essentially a law unto themselves, and I don't think the UK is so remarkable that we're above all that and there are not facets of UK intelligence services that operate entirely autonomously.