Conspiracy Theories

29 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Print off and keep in your back pockets. HTH.

EE587415-B584-47A2-A355-DA7018A19E47.jpeg

Not sure about this at all. My mattress is firm and was advertised as such. You could argue that it could be firmer but i don't see how it's unequivocally false. 

Also has anyone actually seen Finland? 

Where does "Rangers were relegated and didn't die" fit into this pyramid?

I've known a few people from Finland, who were all suspiciously nice. Clearly paid actors trying not to bring attention to themselves, and failing miserably by going too far the other way.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Thanks I've been looking for that for ages

Thing about conspiracy theories is in amongst all of the theories there is always that one bit of truth in them, the trouble is its trying to work out which part in the wider conspiracy.

11 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Thing about conspiracy theories is in amongst all of the theories there is always that one bit of truth in them, the trouble is its trying to work out which part in the wider conspiracy.

It's fairly easy when you get to the thick end of the triangle.

For example, pizza is a foodstuff that exists, there is a planet called Earth, Barack Obama was born, etc.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Half of the ones on the top rung have absolutely nothing to do with antisemitism.

On the surface I'd agree, but I bet you could very easily find proponents of all of those conspiracy theories who lob some anti-semitism into them somewhere. Flat Earth for example isn't on the face of it anti-semitic but some of the texts refer to the Jews as being responsible for the cover up 

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

On the surface I'd agree, but I bet you could very easily find proponents of all of those conspiracy theories who lob some anti-semitism into them somewhere. Flat Earth for example isn't on the face of it anti-semitic but some of the texts refer to the Jews as being responsible for the cover up 

Plenty of the people who think Global Warming is a hoax also put that down to some big Jewish conspiracy, but that doesn't make the conspiracy theory itself antisemitic, it just means that antisemites (who are generally quite thick) believe in a number of conspiracy theories which are aimed at thick people.

They should be separating that out from the likes of Soros, Holocaust Denial, White Genocide and Elders of Zion which are very clearly antisemitic in their very design.

I've read a few interesting articles about how antisemitism is the end goal of most of the thick-end conspiracy theories. It was quite inventive how they start out with outlandish stories about saucer planets and celebrity vampires, before slowly morphing into the old racist tropes about Jews that have been around for centuries. Worst part is, the racists will claim the longevity of said tropes as evidence of their truth.

I know that, from an evolutionary perspective, racism was once a necessary part of our survival as a nascent species, but it absolutely boggles the mind that it's still such a common belief. The need to somehow feel superior to others, even if it makes no sense, is a fucking cancer.

Those Stirling Albion fans are the worst for it. Fucking scumbags.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

What is the Finland one actually all about? Why do people think it doesn’t exist?

Spoiler

Oh God here goes.
Well firstly they say that the actual 'place of Finland' is just Eastern Sweden. Helsinki is in Eastern Sweden and when people fly there it's not like they would notice.
World maps are altered as it's a U.N conspiracy to keep people believing in Finland. And the idea that an entire country is made up seems so bizarre that nobody would ever believe it, making it easy to do.
Finland's main company, Nokia, is apparently owned by the Japanese and they're a main player in this.
Now as for 'why' people would want to invent Finland as a country that's a bit more in depth and there's a few reasons as to why Sweden and Russia go along with it but it's mostly to do with Japanese fishing rights.
You see the Japanese love their sushi but tight fishing regulations and public outcry mean they can't fish as much as they want. So after the Cold War they agreed with Russia to create a 'landmass' called Finland where they could fish. After all, if people thought there was a country there nobody would expect the Japanese to be harpooning whales would they?
The fish is then transported through Russia where a small percentage of the food is given to the population, (they were of course starving at the time of Finland being invented), and then is shipped to Japan under the disguise of 'Nokia' products. Japan is apparently one of the worlds largest importers of Nokia products despite the fact that 'nobody there owns a Nokia phone' apparently.
The crux of all this however, and my favourite part, is the homage that the Japanese gave to this entire conspiracy theory.
What do fish have? Fins. Therefore they named their imaginary country Finland.
There are loads more that they go on about but I can't remember it all at the moment.
EDIT: Thanks for the Gold! I'm amazed how big this has gotten, I told my parents and although they don't really understand Reddit they're glad that the 'truths' being put out there for people to make their own decision.

Was part of a Reddit post along the lines of "what was something your parents taught you that turned out to be actually insane?"

I don't think anyone that's memed it actually believes the conspiracy it's just funny to think about.

Edited by NotThePars

I'm actually chiding myself for saying this, but Finland seems like an awfully long trip for the Japanese to do some fishing.

Is portal technology involved in this theory at all?

30 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm actually chiding myself for saying this, but Finland seems like an awfully long trip for the Japanese to do some fishing.

Is portal technology involved in this theory at all?

So does no one noticing that "Nokia" always ship their electric good in cold storage. Also no one is moving fish by road through Russia it's going by air or boat.

Theres a guy on youtube sci man dan that rips the flat earthers to shreds on a weekly basis its quite funny, especially with the flat earthers trying to prove their point only to get lost and contradict their own views, on the flip side of that there is an increasing amount of graffiti about Scotland claiming the world is flat.  more recently though the whole 5g thing people just are thick they dont know which mobile mast is which and just torch it anyway its on monty python levels of the witch burning/drowning