Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

16 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I think there's a real difference to someone playing on their wrong side as a wing-back compared to full-back. Tierney played RB for us five times and always had Forrest or Phillips (natural right-wingers) ahead of him. That's not to say it isn't possible, just that you'd need to set the team up quite differently (maybe limit Tierney at LCB to have the RCB more attacking, play Armstrong or Christie on the right of the midfield three to make runs on the outside, or go 343 with Forrest or Fraser playing wider). I remember watching Belgium against Wales back in March and being quite interested in how they went about having a right-footed LWB.

Btw I think Hickey at LWB has its own issues but they'd be offset by having Tierney behind him.

Completely agree with this, but from everything I've read or seen on him Hickey doesn't have a weak side - he's not just relatively strong on his right he's completely two footed. 

38 minutes ago, Zazu said:

I'd disagree that it poses much of a risk. 

I don't like players playing at either fullback or wingback on their weaker sides, but Hickey doesn't have a weaker side. 

If you're as two footed as he is, there's no difference between playing left wing back or playing right wing back, its the exact same position 

Why does he play pretty much exclusively on the left then? 

On Hickey, while I'd rather he played for u21, him pulling out for a non injury isn't the most absurd thing ever. Think about it from his point of view, he has now established himself as the starting left back at a Serie A side at 19. He could go and play for the u21's in ultimately a meaningless game and pick up an injury and he looses his place. What really does he or even Steve Clarke have to gain from him playing? 

Playing for the u21's isn't the be all and end all at International level. In an ideal world, we'd have every player who plays for the senior side having come up through the age groups , but how many only advance as far as u21's and not senior side and how many who make the senior side do not play for u21's. For me, it's purpose is to get guys breaking through to first teams at club level involved at international level so the SFA can get a look at them and what they can do as well as a bit of development of the players. I'd argue, for Hickey, that is not really required. 

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The amount of people unable to realise that being able to kick the ball with two feet isn’t the only aspect of switching from left to right wing back. 

My Sunday full back plays both roles every week sometimes switched around in both games

It isn't a big issue if you can deal with cutting inside and switching it on to your other foot

All the people saying he can't haven't a clue,when even his own coaches or ex coaches like Levein say that he can

Surely that puts the argument to bed?And you the same people so needy for attention and needy to hear there own voice,is keeping it going 

56 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

On Hickey, while I'd rather he played for u21, him pulling out for a non injury isn't the most absurd thing ever. Think about it from his point of view, he has now established himself as the starting left back at a Serie A side at 19. He could go and play for the u21's in ultimately a meaningless game and pick up an injury and he looses his place. What really does he or even Steve Clarke have to gain from him playing? 

Playing for the u21's isn't the be all and end all at International level. In an ideal world, we'd have every player who plays for the senior side having come up through the age groups , but how many only advance as far as u21's and not senior side and how many who make the senior side do not play for u21's. For me, it's purpose is to get guys breaking through to first teams at club level involved at international level so the SFA can get a look at them and what they can do as well as a bit of development of the players. I'd argue, for Hickey, that is not really required. 

I would say a fair point , especially if the u21s are playing hoofball as suggested.

I remember being rather surprised when , iirc , Strachan said he had nothing to do with the u21s.

Surely now SSC should have a say in how they play , etc

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Why does he play pretty much exclusively on the left then? 

he was a centre mid at youth football right up until breaking into the first team at hearts. They had Michael Smith playing well for them at right back at the time so he was played at left back and made the spot his own. 

Makes sense for him to have continued playing their for Bologna when he will have been playing there for Hearts every game they scouted him. Bologna have also had very strong right backs in Tomiyasu and De Silvestre the whole time he's been there so there will have been no need for them to switch his flank. 

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

The amount of people unable to realise that being able to kick the ball with two feet isn’t the only aspect of switching from left to right wing back. 

What further aspects are there if you are equally strong both feet? Its the exact same position and he'll be doing the exact same things during different phases of play etc. 

5 hours ago, General dissaray said:

My Sunday full back plays both roles every week sometimes switched around in both games

It isn't a big issue if you can deal with cutting inside and switching it on to your other foot

All the people saying he can't haven't a clue,when even his own coaches or ex coaches like Levein say that he can

Surely that puts the argument to bed?And you the same people so needy for attention and needy to hear there own voice,is keeping it going 

I must be mistaken then - your beer bellied Sunday league player can play both sides, so I stand corrected. 

f**k me 😂

1 hour ago, Zazu said:

What further aspects are there if you are equally strong both feet? Its the exact same position and he'll be doing the exact same things during different phases of play etc. 

Any decent full back can play either sides its absolute nonsense the people saying otherwise aren't really been paying attention especially with Scotland and especially before we had Robbo and Tierney 

22 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Any decent full back can play either sides its absolute nonsense the people saying otherwise aren't really been paying attention especially with Scotland and especially before we had Robbo and Tierney 

I wouldn't go that far, usually when a fullback plays on their weaker side they seem less confident in the tackle and more uneasy/clunky in possession (still have nightmares about Stevenson's run at right back for hibs). 

However that is down to them normally being predominantly one footed, not due to it being a new position for them to learn, so we wouldn't have that issue with Hickey imo. 

1 hour ago, Zazu said:

Your correct theres no further aspects, if your completely 2 footed then there's absolutely no difference. And no reason why they couldn't play either side.

3 hours ago, Zazu said:

Speaking as someone who is a right-footed CM (at an amateur level) I've been asked to play RB many a time and coped pretty well, but play me at LB and everything goes out the window. It's about more than kicking the ball, it's body shape, muscle memory etc etc and if you're not used to one side of the park it is more difficult.

Obviously professionals would be expected to cope better, but practice makes perfect and some players adapt to alternate sides of the pitch better than others.

10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Speaking as someone who is a right-footed CM (at an amateur level) I've been asked to play RB many a time and coped pretty well, but play me at LB and everything goes out the window. It's about more than kicking the ball, it's body shape, muscle memory etc etc and if you're not used to one side of the park it is more difficult.

Obviously professionals would be expected to cope better, but practice makes perfect and some players adapt to alternate sides of the pitch better than others.

That doesn't relate in any way to 2 footed players.

Edited by BingMcCrosby