Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

ETA - Also, what perceived benefit does this new set up bring?

20 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Extra games for extra games sake. Why not just the top 16 go through?

Greed.

It produces 2 more games*. Plus with 1 giant group of 36 clubs; just 12 not progressing*; and all playing different opponents; fewer will be knocked out early.

Same in EL + ECL (except latter still 6 games).

*they have actually increased it from 6 to 10 midweeks (#1 = CL only #2 = UL only #8 = ECL only) and best 8 of 24 who progress get byes in first knockout round: you can almost guarantee that in a few years they'll increase it from 8 games to 10 and reintroduce eliminated clubs dropping into competition below (i.e. CL finishers 25-32 into EL = 32 clubs and EL finishers 25-32 into ECL = 32 clubs)

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd have 8pm Saturday (or Friday) night games too

They already sell Championship every Friday - no doubt for relative buttons tbf; and you'd have limited choices depending on CL/EL/ECL involvement that week or handful of league midweeks (where most games are on Wednesdays - in part due to games the previous Sunday whether owing to TY coverage or clubs having played EL/ECL the previous midweek).

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

They already sell Championship every Friday - no doubt for relative buttons tbf; and you'd have limited choices depending on CL/EL/ECL involvement that week or handful of league midweeks (where most games are on Wednesdays - in part due to games the previous Sunday whether owing to TY coverage or clubs having played EL/ECL the previous midweek).

I think it's the best part of £1m a year for the Championship games - which is not to be sniffed at for something which no other broadcaster was interested in when the BBC started doing them back in 2019.

I’m not a huge champions league fan anyway, and rarely watch matches, but I don’t mind them trying something different.

I think the 4 team group format to knockouts used over the past however many years is a bit tired anyway and needed a revamp. And it’s always been a farce that you can drop into other competitions when you get knocked out.

If this is the precursor to a European Super League and us waving the OF clubs off into the sunset then happy days.

It won’t be, but it’s good to dream.

31 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’m not a huge champions league fan anyway, and rarely watch matches, but I don’t mind them trying something different.

I think the 4 team group format to knockouts used over the past however many years is a bit tired anyway and needed a revamp. And it’s always been a farce that you can drop into other competitions when you get knocked out.

If this is the precursor to a European Super League and us waving the OF clubs off into the sunset then happy days.

It won’t be, but it’s good to dream.

It's 100% a precursor to a Super League, the fact they're already "inviting" teams in based on club size suggests as much.

This is just a step between that and the old format.

The OF won't be invited to it anyway, they'll end up in the 2nd or 3rd tier when that starts.

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 27/06/2024 at 21:29, Vietnam91 said:

Anyone think its a wee bit fishy that the SPFL won't tell us how much a season the Premier Sports, 5 year deal is worth? All they have said is it's 8 figures.

Sky get 60 games for approx. 30m with a 4m option for extra's. For that they get the 4 OF which is the main reason they buy the league along with a bit of filler on their various channels. It works out as 500k per game.

Premier Sports were announced 3 weeks ago to a bit of fanfare and differing outlets say differing things.

The Record says 10m the Scotsman says 8 figures. Nobody says if that per season or over the duration. I doubt Premier would pay more per match than Sky.

Record article: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-strike-bumper-premier-sports-32964438

Scotsman says 8-figures https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-confirm-new-tv-deal-with-broadcaster-as-premiership-set-for-record-number-of-live-matches-4654243

The only reason I can figure these numbers are being withheld are they will annoy the main broadcast partner if Premier secured it for much less than they did per game and/or the fans who think our game has been undersold will find out it's been undersold.

The extra games were offered to sky at 8million the realistic number is premier paid between 4m- 6m for them 

On 28/06/2024 at 10:51, Busta Nut said:

I'd have 8pm Saturday (or Friday) night games too

This would be in direct competition with the championship bbc deal though on the Friday nights …. Theirs a reason bbc show it on a Friday night so it doesn’t clash with premiership games 

Alba have 12 or 15 league 1 games at 5.30 throughout the season