Mighty Montrose FC Thread

A bit desparate pinning our hopes on loan signings. We've been lucky with recent loanees in Cammy F and the young lads from Ross County but these guys come to learn from the older pros, not save a team from a perilous place.

We've been lucky over the last few years, since promotion, that we've had some great seasons and in all honesty, punched above our weight. The backbone of the title winning team is still there. However, age is catching up om them. We look much better when 40 year old Dillo is in the team but, he's not going to go on for ever. 

Unless we get some real gems in the loan market, we are in for a long slog this season - fingers crosse.

Steeves out for 3 weeks, Waddell and Towler expected back at the end of September. Seems that taking Dillon off was tactical rather than him having picked up any kind of injury which is a bonus at least.

Liam Callaghan is a player that I expected to leave in the summer and would not have been disappointed to see that happening but him being back in training is a bonus, hardly a spectacular player but if we can get him back soon it’s another body in a position where we’re seriously struggling at the moment. 

On 19/08/2023 at 22:47, PortyMo said:

A bit desparate pinning our hopes on loan signings. We've been lucky with recent loanees in Cammy F and the young lads from Ross County but these guys come to learn from the older pros, not save a team from a perilous place.

We've been lucky over the last few years, since promotion, that we've had some great seasons and in all honesty, punched above our weight. The backbone of the title winning team is still there. However, age is catching up om them. We look much better when 40 year old Dillo is in the team but, he's not going to go on for ever. 

Unless we get some real gems in the loan market, we are in for a long slog this season - fingers crosse.

In what universe have Montrose been lucky or punched above their weight? It's clear you've had good backing for a number of seasons now, you've got two of the most wanted and expensive strikers in the lower leagues too. Montrose should be challenging at the top end of this league, no doubt about it. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

In what universe have Montrose been lucky or punched above their weight? It's clear you've had good backing for a number of seasons now, you've got two of the most wanted and expensive strikers in the lower leagues too. Montrose should be challenging at the top end of this league, no doubt about it. 

Aside from the strikers and Dillon there is no quality in that squad.

39 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Aside from the strikers and Dillon there is no quality in that squad.

Disagree!

Kerr waddell a good solid player along with Andrew Steeves in my opinion.

I think we are skirting around the issues a bit. This is not a season 23/24 slump but it in fact started in November last year. In the comments above you have picked out Hester, McAllister, Dillon, Steeves and Waddell so that is half a team sorted in a breath. Why did Montrose allow/release Allan, Milne and Whatley to move on? 

Previously McAllister has been mentioned as the issue and if Montrose didn't play him they'd be less likely to just lump the ball up field and play some brand of glorious football. From watching McAllister in the past for other teams he was rarely the recipient of long ball football so it would appear to be a choice that Montrose use him this way.  The question is therefore are the midfield not creative or being prevented from being so? Are we now saying Webster, Gardyne, Brown, Lyons (slump in form excluded!) have suddenly become dull uncreative players?

1 hour ago, Mo toring on said:

I think we are skirting around the issues a bit. This is not a season 23/24 slump but it in fact started in November last year. In the comments above you have picked out Hester, McAllister, Dillon, Steeves and Waddell so that is half a team sorted in a breath. Why did Montrose allow/release Allan, Milne and Whatley to move on? 

Previously McAllister has been mentioned as the issue and if Montrose didn't play him they'd be less likely to just lump the ball up field and play some brand of glorious football. From watching McAllister in the past for other teams he was rarely the recipient of long ball football so it would appear to be a choice that Montrose use him this way.  The question is therefore are the midfield not creative or being prevented from being so? Are we now saying Webster, Gardyne, Brown, Lyons (slump in form excluded!) have suddenly become dull uncreative players?

It’s easy to ask “why did we let them go” however I don’t think many people had any objections to any of them leaving, Matty Allan being the only one I can remember anyone mentioning although the chat was that we had offered him a deal. Hindsight being the wonderful thing that it is though I’d argue that all 3 of them would be starters just now.

We have creative players in the squad, the problem is that we’re currently shoehorning all of them in to a system that doesn’t suit them to allow us to play the 2 up top. 

The management team have done more than enough to deserve the chance to sort it out but we are having to massively rely on the loan market again this season, I’d be a bit concerned going in to next season where we’re probably looking at our biggest rebuild for a good number of years. 

Lets face it Saturday was a bad day. The Board need to step-up in their new roles and review the recruitment policy of age ,  length of contracts, value for money, release of players and loans both in and out. The bench has been sparse yet we allowed young lads to be put out on loan with no replacement. The most notable thing is we lose shape easily as their is not a straight replacement. Its early days and the window is still open.

2 hours ago, Mo toring on said:

Agree this slump in form isn't just this season but happened way back last campaign.

Mark Whatley-legs had gone for me so probably best to move on.

Matty Alan-Not sure the reason but heard he wanted a 2 year contract.Also heard he is on more money at Forfar than he was with us aswell.

Lewis Milne-Good player on his day but we didn't see enough of him playing like that in L1 in my opinion of course.

To be fair I think midfield is the problem right now not creating enough and like what has been said before players like Graham Webster,Blair Lyons have been off the pace for months.Michael Gardyne has been a bit of let down so far aswell not the player I thought we were getting one bit.

19 hours ago, Mo toring on said:

Why did Montrose allow/release Allan, Milne and Whatley to move on? 

16 hours ago, mo83 said:

Lewis Milne-Good player on his day but we didn't see enough of him playing like that in L1 in my opinion of course.

Could it have been the way SP was playing him?? Listen, I know it's early days but since joining us at Forthbank, he has looked a really good signing and has played really well in the games he has been involved in so far. He's fitted nicely into the squad, in a "he's always been around" kind of way, and looks more than good enough for this level. So I find the comment above a little strange.

11 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Could it have been the way SP was playing him?? Listen, I know it's early days but since joining us at Forthbank, he has looked a really good signing and has played really well in the games he has been involved in so far. He's fitted nicely into the squad, in a "he's always been around" kind of way, and looks more than good enough for this level. So I find the comment above a little strange.

He was never the same player when he came back to us from Raith, but was still a good option for us.  I'd have kept him so we had that option and an extra body in the squad but SP must not have fancied him, or maybe his demands for a new contract were too high?

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Like Broomie said he was never the same player after he jumped ship to Raith then came back.In League 2 he was outstanding very good for us and chipped in with a good few goals.But he never seemed to get going for whatever reason after we came into L1, injury's didn't help I suppose but we just didn't see enough for me in my opinion .I'm not saying he can't play League 1 he played Championship football for Cowden(in a very good side I may add) and didn't look out of place I'm told.

Not really bothered about him leaving, especially if we’re getting some money out of it. I think our squad is best suited to playing 1 up top now anyway and it removes the problem of which of the 2 of him and Hester to play. 

9 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Not really bothered about him leaving, especially if we’re getting some money out of it. I think our squad is best suited to playing 1 up top now anyway and it removes the problem of which of the 2 of him and Hester to play. 

And hopefully back to playing football instead of lumping it forward as much. 

Might even see some wing play now. Wonder if the money will be reinvested before the window closes?