Mighty Montrose FC Thread

54 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I was very young but do remember little bits of the home game,am I right in saying the replay was like a day or two later or am I talking 💩.

Sounds familiar. According to the usually reliable London Hearts site the first game was 13th Feb and the replay was on the 14th Feb. 

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/a1990/morton1996.htm

If I remember correctly the first game should have been on 27th Jan, but was postponed due to the weather.

8 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Sounds familiar. According to the usually reliable London Hearts site the first game was 13th Feb and the replay was on the 14th Feb. 

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/a1990/morton1996.htm

If I remember correctly the first game should have been on 27th Jan, but was postponed due to the weather.

Yeah sounds about right as a remember Dad going to Cappielow, then seeing him the next morning and he was like you will get to the replay tonight....Great memories 

What I remember of the game at Links Park that night is we were down two nil at halftime. The tannoy speakers announced details for the supporters bus for the next round game at Perth to great hilarity of the Morton fans. The smiles and laughter was wiped of their face within minutes of the second half starting with Colin McGlashan scoring and a great 3-2 win.

3 hours ago, esortnom said:

What I remember of the game at Links Park that night is we were down two nil at halftime. The tannoy speakers announced details for the supporters bus for the next round game at Perth to great hilarity of the Morton fans. The smiles and laughter was wiped of their face within minutes of the second half starting with Colin McGlashan scoring and a great 3-2 win.

That’s not how I remember it. The tannoy announcement was made after Montrose had either scored or leveled. Unlike more recent encounters; at that point Morton were at the top of their league and coupled with that, the fact that we were playing them just 24 hours after the first game meant that we were expected to tire and roll over.

The Morton fans raised a laugh when the announcement was made because the fight back to win the tie at that stage was a very optimistic take on our having scored. What transpired though was Montrose grew stronger and more confident and the momentum switched very much in our favour. 
The anticlimax of the game at Perth, the following round was the polar opposite of that night. Back down to earth with a whimper at a half empty McDiarmid Park.

Edited by Brummo

Happy enough with the point last night played well enough against a good  Falkirk side,move onto Stirling Saturday now.

Thought Luke Graham was superb at the back and strolled through the game and rightly so MOTM.

Big game Saturday now and hopefully we can pick up 3 points at Stirling and keep Kelty in and Cove in our sights.

Given that Stirling have lost their last six matches and only scored 10 goals in the League, we can indeed hope for win !   Let's go for third clean sheet in a row.  But we might be a bit tired after Sat / Tues exertions ?

Edited by Mo-time

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

The Gaffer is going nowhere!

Brilliant that it's been cleared up so quick,we have been getting told for years from some @1320LichtieArbroath fan's that when DC left SP would be straight in the door to take over.

Screenshot_20231129-225623.png

Sadly: you can't believe everything you read in the papers but I am hoping that in this case it is true.

13 hours ago, mo83 said:

The Gaffer is going nowhere!

Brilliant that it's been cleared up so quick,we have been getting told for years from some @1320LichtieArbroath fan's that when DC left SP would be straight in the door to take over.

Screenshot_20231129-225623.png

I never expected DC to call it a day so soon - also think it will happen down the line like I said elsewhere - SPs time will run it’s course at Montrose like Dicks has at Arbroath - right now I’m all for a rogue and different appointment - SP would be the safest option but we’re in such a good position off the park I think a fresh take would be a gamble but a good gamble at the moment 

• 2 weeks later...

January around the corner and a think most would agree we need some some additions to the squad if we are going to kick on second half of the season.

Midfield and up front we definitely need to add some quality if you ask me,Kane has been a good addition to the squad but when he does come off we are left with agent Paul Watson most of the time and that's not good enough if you ask me.Craig Batchelor has struggled and could do with a loan spell, it's a massive jump for him to make any impact in his first season and we can't rely on Kane for the whole season by himself.

Another area for me is Centre midfield we need someone in their that can put in a tackle and break up play,we have plenty attacking midfielder's but no one to do the dirty work since Terry Masson got injured.Id also look for a wide player Graham Webster is past his best now and Machado is hot and cold and can't really nail down a starting place.

100% try and get Miller and Luke back on Loan bothe have a bit a class about them and have been very good so far.

22 minutes ago, mo83 said:

January around the corner and a think most would agree we need some some additions to the squad if we are going to kick on second half of the season.

Midfield and up front we definitely need to add some quality if you ask me,Kane has been a good addition to the squad but when he does come off we are left with agent Paul Watson most of the time and that's not good enough if you ask me.Craig Batchelor has struggled and could do with a loan spell, it's a massive jump for him to make any impact in his first season and we can't rely on Kane for the whole season by himself.

Another area for me is Centre midfield we need someone in their that can put in a tackle and break up play,we have plenty attacking midfielder's but no one to do the dirty work since Terry Masson got injured.Id also look for a wide player Graham Webster is past his best now and Machado is hot and cold and can't really nail down a starting place.

100% try and get Miller and Luke back on Loan bothe have a bit a class about them and have been very good so far.

I remember Miller Thomson coming on late on against Arbroath first game of the season therefore there's a great chance you get that loan extended given he can't be loaned to anyone else. Really impressed with him. Hopefully kicks on in his career like Fotheringham, Mochrie and Glass

23 hours ago, mo83 said:

Would agree with pretty much all of this. I wonder if Evan Towler is maybe close to being available too which offers another option at the back. I remember an interview with SP at the end of July I think where he said we were expecting him and Kerr back about the same time and then nothing since so I’d sorta assumed that his loan had been quietly terminated and he was away back up the road but with his player sponsor thing being posted on Twitter the other day, he’s clearly still with us somewhere. 

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

Would agree with pretty much all of this. I wonder if Evan Towler is maybe close to being available too which offers another option at the back. I remember an interview with SP at the end of July I think where he said we were expecting him and Kerr back about the same time and then nothing since so I’d sorta assumed that his loan had been quietly terminated and he was away back up the road but with his player sponsor thing being posted on Twitter the other day, he’s clearly still with us somewhere. 

Evan Towler might get a shot at LB when fit as for me Andy Steeves has struggled at times in games.Would 100% take Ryan Shanley and Innes Murray from Edinburgh City for free in January if they were up for it.

1 minute ago, mo83 said:

Evan Towler might get a shot at LB when fit as for me Andy Steeves has struggled at times in games.Would 100% take Ryan Shanley and Innes Murray from Edinburgh City for free in January if they were up for it.

The interview with Petrie after the shambles on Saturday was suggesting that Steeves is out for 4 weeks, although that could increase or decrease dependent on the result of any scans through the week, so if Towler is anywhere near fit then he may well get a chance to get a run in the team. 

• 2 weeks later...

Belated Happy Christmas and Happy New Year, when it comes.

All in all; thankful for another year as a Mo fan. Quite a few years since we survived the drop and a lot of joy amidst the gutting moments along the way. Why, I was even feeling a wee bit of goodwill to the Smokies, when I heard about their draw today courtesy of their substitute goalie playing as a striker, on sports news on BBC Radio 4 UK. Not often you you hear a shout out to Angus clubs on there.

Haly way point in the season and without being too great we sit 4th in the league which for me is very impressive.

Looks like Miller will be away back to Dundee Utd which will be a big blow,keeping Luke Graham till the end of the season is a good move I've been impressed by him.Evan Towler who knows what's happening their....Cancel the contract.

For me we desperately need a holding centre midfielder we miss Terry Masson big time snapping into the challenges and we need.someone who can do that and break up the play.Id also like to see  another winger and Striker brought in,the young lad Hermiston has done really well and I would like to see him around the squad but we need someone else to help Kane and If we could get a good loan and the young lad I'd be happy with that till the end of the season.

Saw that Miller Thomson is away back to Dundee United, which is a pity.

Great close control, ability to beat multiple defenders, it seemed he was building up a rivalry with Blair Lyons as to who could beat most defenders on one run.  Also saw his goal at Edinburgh City where he raced from half way line to slot cooly past the gk, showing pace and great composure.

I note from the DU P&B site that (i) he is injured at moment and (ii) if DU buy another striker this window (??)  then he will likely be sent back to us at the end of the window because he is not allowed to play anywhere else.

Good luck to the team today at Annan - never been there, it just seems too far away.....

All very quiet so far for Montrose on the transfer front I was hoping we would have our business done early as the games are coming thick and fast.