Mighty Montrose FC Thread

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

How's Graham getting on with you? He got a chance of making it with us?

He’s been getting on really well and really starting to learn his craft under Dillon’s stewardship. Possibly the main thing for him to work on is his distribution but otherwise he is a solid defender who should have a fair crack at Dundee I think

22 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

How's Graham getting on with you? He got a chance of making it with us?

Luke Graham been really good for us get more impressed each time I see him play.

(Warning: long, boring, largely pointless post!)

Went to Pittodrie last night as the second of my "Super Saturday" games that Storm Babet threw a spanner in the works of. The plan had been to go to the Cove v. Montrose game at 3:00 and then head to Pittodrie for the 6 o'clock kick off for Aberdeen against Dundee.

I still had the tickets for the latter and with my oldies' flat fare discount  on the train decided to make the rearranged fixture.

From a football perspective, the game was a big disappointment. I had hoped my son (17) who was attending his first Premier League game, would appreciate the atmosphere of bigger crowds and seeing a game of a demonstrably higher standard, than the Montrose games I take him along to. We've managed a run of three away games in a row this year at Annan, Greenock and Hamilton and asides from Annan, which we could hardly see because of the mist, I think the Montrose games were better than last night.

The main difference he observed last night, was the speed and intensity the game was played at.

I think it has to rank with one of the poorest Aberdeen performances I have ever seen. In the second half, they reminded me of Hamilton on Saturday. Robson clearly isn't getting the best from his players and it wasn't surprising there was a lot of fan disquiet at the end of the match.

As I drove my son to school this morning - we didn't get home till 2 am, I told him about how I'd watched Aberdeen regularly beating Rangers and Celtic and also defeat Bayern Munich at Pittodrie. I lived with my parents in Aberdeen at the time.

It seems incredible, judging by last night's performance how this could ever have been the case.

I am scratching my head to understand why the "New Firm" blip was just that and how the Old Firm dominance was allowed to creep back and consign the rest of Scottish football back to being "also rans".

This brings me (at long last) to the point of this post, which is are we ever going to head back to the situation where League One is winnable by part-time teams like Montrose or are they going to perpetually come up just short against failing full-time clubs on the upswing?

I think the gulf between the fitness of part-time players and their full-time counterparts is narrowing but training together more often is sure to make some difference.

That said, a well trained and managed part-time club such as we enjoy at Montrose is far better to watch than a shambolic full-time team, no matter their skills and fitness levels.

I think I will be glad to see the back of the serial under achievers in this league. Like the Old Firm in the Premier League; for the sake of making League One a more winnable possibility for the majority of teams in it, it would be better off without them.

Or are we just living in an era when the gap between supposedly full-time and part-time clubs are their lowest and highest respective levels is narrowing to the point that a good part-time team will be able to get promoted to the Championship and not just be the next season's whipping boys? I know Arbroath had had some success in this but aren't they pretty much full-time now?

What do you think it would take for the Mo to do it?

Are we pretty much at our maximum level and how can we get beyond just feeling good about competing well against the likes of the top two, rather than really going all out for the title ourselves?

That is all...

Edited by Brummo

Looks like their is nobody coming in this month which is rather frustrating/disappointing if you ask me.

Hope to be proved wrong but a think we will drop out the top 4 by the end of the season if we don't strengthen,for me too many clubs around us have added to their squad and strengthened for the second half of the season. 

Miller Thompson is a massive blow not getting him back on loan for the second half of the season,would have liked us to try and get someone similar in the door along with another striker.As much as a like the young lads on the bench L1 is a very tough league to learn your trade especially when your 16,17 or even a 18 years old.

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

This brings me (at long last) to the point of this post, which is are we ever going to head back to the situation where League One is winnable by part-time teams like Montrose or are they going to perpetually come up just short against failing full-time clubs on the upswing?

I think the gulf between the fitness of part-time players and their full-time counterparts is narrowing but training together more often is sure to make some difference.

That said, a well trained and managed part-time club such as we enjoy at Montrose is far better to watch than a shambolic full-time team, no matter their skills and fitness levels.

I think I will be glad to see the back of the serial under achievers in this league. Like the Old Firm in the Premier League; for the sake of making League One a more winnable possibility for the majority of teams in it, it would be better off without them.

Or are we just living in an era when the gap between supposedly full-time and part-time clubs are their lowest and highest respective levels is narrowing to the point that a good part-time team will be able to get promoted to the Championship and not just be the next season's whipping boys. I know Arbroath had had some success in this but aren't they pretty much full-time now?

What do you think it would take for the Mo to do it?

Are we pretty much at our maximum level and how can we get beyond just feeling good about competing well against the likes of the top two, rather than really going all out for the title ourselves?

That is all...

The bit in bold is just complete nonsense, The status of the club is irrelevant. You may as well just say a well trained and managed club is better to watch than a shambolic one. It's not specific to full time or part time status.

As for the rest of it, I'd agree the gap between full time and part time is as narrow as it's ever been. Never the less a gap there still is which is why there isn't a spread of clubs interspersed among the middle part of the SPFL. It's possible for a part time team to have a stellar run with a settled side and throwing a bit of cash around as Arbroath have for the last 4 or 5 years and Dumbarton had for a spell about 10 years back. And it's possible for a full time club to make a bit of a car crash of it as Falkirk have for the last few years and we've done the last couple. Never the less it's a fact that the 25 full time clubs in the SPFL currently occupy 25 of the top 27 spaces, and if you hadn't scored a late equaliser on Saturday it would be 25 of the top 26. Arbroath continue to buck the trend for now but they look likely to be relegated this year as things stand.

Technically Cove were part time last season and they did go up with a part time side but fundamentally apart from our first half of the season being so awful we failed to make up the ground to overtake yourselves and Alloa, last year was the same.

It's harder and harder as things stand for part time sides to make it into the top two divisions. The likes of Queen's Park, Cove and Airdrie turning full time in the last 3 or 4 years means there are now more full time teams than there are places in the top two divisions. Prior to that a combination of someone having to be relegated every year and financial issues knocking the likes of Rangers, Livingston, Morton, etc into lower divisions meant that there were a handful of part time sides in the Championship from time to time. Alloa, Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton all had multiple years at that level in the last decade or so. Barring some sort of financial Armageddon it's unlikely to happen again any time soon.

It's still possible for a part time side to gatecrash the Championship for a year or two I guess if they throw enough money at it to get the absolute best part time players but it will be an outlier situation and takes an outstanding group to come together at once. Even just remaining a challenger in League 1 is only likely to get harder as the likes of East Kilbride, Tranent, etc and maybe in time Auchinleck, Cumnock, etc make their way up the pyramid.

Without quite the fortunate timing of Arbroath, Montrose have done an outstanding job over the last few years to be amongst the top 2 or 3 part timers constantly. It's why Petrie's name is constantly mentioned for bigger jobs. It's not easy to achieve what he has. Until something changes I don't see a part time team competing for a League 1 title any time soon though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

"The bit in bold is just complete nonsense, The status of the club is irrelevant. You may as well just say a well trained and manged club is better to watch than a shambolic one. It's not specific to full time or part time status."

With all due respect and at the risk of being pendantic, the paragraph you described as nonsense, does in fact make sense. 

T.b.h. I was really primarily posting for the benefit of fans of my own club but thanks for your opinion in any case.

Edited by Brummo
correcting missing negative.

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

... I told him about how I'd watched Aberdeen regularly beating Rangers and Celtic and also defeat Bayern Munich at Pittodrie. I lived with my parents in Aberdeen at the time.

It seems incredible, judging by last night's performance how this could ever have been the case.

I am scratching my head to understand why the "New Firm" blip was just that and how the Old Firm dominance was allowed to creep back and consign the rest of Scottish football back to being "also rans".

This brings me (at long last) to the point of this post, which is are we ever going to head back to the situation where League One is winnable by part-time teams like Montrose or are they going to perpetually come up just short against failing full-time clubs on the upswing? ...

Yep, I was based up at Peterhead power station during the Alex Ferguson years at Aberdeen and like you watched many games at Pittodrie.  For me the big difference is the huge growth in financial disparity between clubs now as compared to back then.  In those days at the top level most clubs had a majority of home-grown Scots players whereas now you'll struggle to find Scots players in the top sides and especially in the OF.  The financial gap between the OF and all other clubs up here is now just enormous such that no other club can now win the top league, 40 of the 42 clubs are effectively removed from that particular competition.  That financial disparity means that the top clubs are recruiting from a wider pool of (supposedly) higher quality players outside of the home-grown market.

I can understand how fans of a good PT club like Montrose are frustrated, as a fan of a struggling FT club like QOS I'm also frustrated at the difficulty in attempting to break "glass ceilings".  For me the biggest problem lies in the tiny 10 team league structures, with the top league of 12 having been effectively formed as a cartel designed to make it difficult for the well-heeled clubs to fall out of, and for the diddy clubs to achieve entry to - and it was all about greed and maximising the revenue from the OF matches and ensuring 2 home games a season against each of the OF.  I'd like to think that QOS could always be capable of establishing decent runs at Championship level but I'm old and wise enough to know that the top league will probably always now be outside of our grasp.  For me the solution for clubs like Montrose and QOS is larger leagues.

As for your first point about the top league and challenging the OF ... well, that can no longer happen.  There, I see only two alternatives:

1 - The OF are forced by the league to disperse their profits down through the leagues (aye, like that will ever happen ...) to attempt some kind of levelling up and hence introduce some vague appearance of competition back into the top flight, or far more likely ...

2 - The OF leave our league for the huge financial attraction of European leagues, which are not now merely a pipe dream with the approach of European super league discussions and UEFA alternatives.  The OF have outgrown our league (similar is the case in other European leagues) and without them our league although arguably of poorer quality would be much more competitive (and of course without all the dark stuff that comes with the OF).

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, I was based up at Peterhead power station during the Alex Ferguson years at Aberdeen and like you watched many games at Pittodrie.  For me the big difference is the huge growth in financial disparity between clubs now as compared to back then.  In those days at the top level most clubs had a majority of home-grown Scots players whereas now you'll struggle to find Scots players in the top sides and especially in the OF.  The financial gap between the OF and all other clubs up here is now just enormous such that no other club can now win the top league, 40 of the 42 clubs are effectively removed from that particular competition.  That financial disparity means that the top clubs are recruiting from a wider pool of (supposedly) higher quality players outside of the home-grown market.

I can understand how fans of a good PT club like Montrose are frustrated, as a fan of a struggling FT club like QOS I'm also frustrated at the difficulty in attempting to break "glass ceilings".  For me the biggest problem lies in the tiny 10 team league structures, with the top league of 12 having been effectively formed as a cartel designed to make it difficult for the well-heeled clubs to fall out of, and for the diddy clubs to achieve entry to - and it was all about greed and maximising the revenue from the OF matches and ensuring 2 home games a season against each of the OF.  I'd like to think that QOS could always be capable of establishing decent runs at Championship level but I'm old and wise enough to know that the top league will probably always now be outside of our grasp.  For me the solution for clubs like Montrose and QOS is larger leagues.

As for your first point about the top league and challenging the OF ... well, that can no longer happen.  There, I see only two alternatives:

1 - The OF are forced by the league to disperse their profits down through the leagues (aye, like that will ever happen ...) to attempt some kind of levelling up and hence introduce some vague appearance of competition back into the top flight, or far more likely ...

2 - The OF leave our league for the huge financial attraction of European leagues, which are not now merely a pipe dream with the approach of European super league discussions and UEFA alternatives.  The OF have outgrown our league (similar is the case in other European leagues) and without them our league although arguably of poorer quality would be much more competitive (and of course without all the dark stuff that comes with the OF).

Thanks for your post. On the radio this morning, I heard that Scottish Parliament is looking at having some kind of football "Tsar" as they look like introducing in England and Wales to oversee the game and make authorities more accountable. My only worry is we end up with another Henry McLeish, whom I didn't rate at all.

In other news, see Robson's gone.

15 minutes ago, Brummo said:

... On the radio this morning, I heard that Scottish Parliament is looking at having some kind of football "Tsar" as they look like introducing in England and Wales to oversee the game and make authorities more accountable ...

Forgive (cynical) me if I don't get too over excited at the prospect ...

18 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

This is why I come on here, through all the petty rubbish that you have to wade through, you'll always find that odd nugget of gold. Well said @Otis Blue!

17 hours ago, Brummo said:

Thanks for your post. On the radio this morning, I heard that Scottish Parliament is looking at having some kind of football "Tsar" as they look like introducing in England and Wales to oversee the game and make authorities more accountable. My only worry is we end up with another Henry McLeish, whom I didn't rate at all.

i'm all for this personally, however it has to be the right person for the job. Simply having another yes man, pandering like Neil Doncaster does or David Longmuir and Henry McLeish did (in their respective roles) does nobody any favours. 

Results mostly okay from a Mo perspective. Annan came close to a fightback against Alloa but the defeat of QoS and stalemate between Stirling Albion and Cove Rangers changed the "as it stands" table from the Mo lying seventh, to a much less disturbing fifth. All to play for on Tuesday night. Hoping we can get the maximum points to haul us back up the table. Glad we had a Saturday off, whilst Stirling Albion have hopefully had a tough game. Who knows whether this will work in the Mo's favour or not? It would be satisfying to get a bit of revenge for the 3 points lost at Links Park. Though on their current form, the Binos will certainly be a tough nut to crack.

Edited by Brummo

1 hour ago, 1993 said:

Surprised to see Ballentyne signing for Clyde and not coming back to you?

If we’ve asked the question and either him or St Johnstone have said no then not much we can do, he’d be a huge improvement in our midfield now. Starting to fear that we’re just going to try and see out the season with what we have.