Mighty Montrose FC Thread

6 hours ago, Brummo said:

The Really concerned about recent injuries. It feels like in this vital final quarter of the season, we’re reaching into the tool kit and missing what we’re needing to get the job done. Teams with bigger squads are clearly at an advantage. Hoping SP and Ross can find a way to win with whoever is available. No dead cert. easy games. Even with Edinburgh City relegated, they still have pride to play for. I am really pleased we salvaged a point on Saturday but if we target third, which I reckon is realistically as high as we can aim for, then we must stop dropping points to lower placed teams. I reckon Alloa are our main rivals for now but there’s still a long way to go. I believe we are capable of beating any team in this league but we will need to be more clinical and ruthless in how we go about winning.

Agree.

Still baffles me a wee bit how we didn't really strengthen in January,I get the young lads are doing well and a few were coming back from injury but for me I'd have liked to have seen a player or two on loan in the door.

On 18/03/2024 at 17:16, mo83 said:

Agree.

Still baffles me a wee bit how we didn't really strengthen in January,I get the young lads are doing well and a few were coming back from injury but for me I'd have liked to have seen a player or two on loan in the door.

I would imagine finance played a big part in that.  We were never going to make a permanent signing in the window and perhaps the bigger clubs wanted full payment of wages for anyone going out on loan

16 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

I would imagine finance played a big part in that.  We were never going to make a permanent signing in the window and perhaps the bigger clubs wanted full payment of wages for anyone going out on loan

I just thought with Miller Thompson going back to Dundee Utd their must be some sort of wage free.The fact that we wanted him for the 2nd half of the season their must have been money put to the side of that was going to happen.

Anyways we are doing pretty well without really adding anyone in January,I thought we might just start to lose a few more games but SP and his team so far have proved me wrong 😁

23 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

Is this something new? In the past we seemed to be able to secure some good loan players under SP. I can understand why bigger clubs are not doing this for us out of the kindness of their own hearts and would be looking for as big a contribution from the loan club as possible. I do wonder however about the point of loaning out a player to say the likes of Falkirk, who already have a sizable squad. If the idea is to give the loan player game time, would they not be better off at a club where that is more likely to happen? What is the point of loaning out a player, just for him to sit on a bench?

Then again, perhaps SP is not willing to guarantee loan players game time if they aren't demonstrably going to be a benefit to the team.

If it is just a case of the bigger clubs getting as much money as they can for their on loan players, then allowing loan players seems to be something far more likely to hurt part-time teams than help them because it just compounds the "rich get richer" aspect of the game.

It would be great if we had a ruling body that didn't seem content to allow a "greed is good" mentality to dominate the game. If it actually looked at what is good for growing the game in Scotland, rather than being the lap dog of the usual vested interests.

Edited by Brummo

22 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Is this something new? In the past we seemed to be able to secure some good loan players under SP. I can understand why bigger clubs are not doing this for us out of the kindness of their own hearts and would be looking for as big on a contribution from the loan club as possible. I do wonder however about the point of loaning out a player to say the likes of Falkirk, who already have a sizable squad. If the idea is to give the loan player game time, would they not be better off at a club where that is more likely to happen? What is the point of loaning out a player, just for him to sit on a bench?

Then again, perhaps SP is not willing to guarantee loan players game time if they aren't demonstrably going to be a benefit to the team.

If it is just a case of the bigger clubs getting as much money as they can for their on loan players, then allowing loan players seems to be something far more likely to hurt part-time teams than help them because it just compounds the "rich get richer" aspect of the game.

It would be great if we had a ruling body that didn't seem content to allow a "greed is good" philosophy to dominate the game. If it actually looked at what is good for growing the game in Scotland, rather than being the lap dog of the usual vested interests.

Not sure that's entirely fair Brummo. Falkirk's 3 loan players (in) are pretty much playing in every game - Long (Lincoln), Ross (Raith) and Tait (Hibs). Nowadays, with 5 subs, most players spend some time on the bench, whether it be at the start or end of a game. These 3 loan players are getting very regular game time at Falkirk.

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Not sure that's entirely fair Brummo. Falkirk's 3 loan players (in) are pretty much playing in every game - Long (Lincoln), Ross (Raith) and Tait (Hibs). Nowadays, with 5 subs, most players spend some time on the bench, whether it be at the start or end of a game. These 3 loan players are getting very regular game time at Falkirk.

Apologies, I only mentioned Falkirk as they are the big fish at the moment. I have no idea how often your loan players feature. I simply made the point that if you already have a comparatively big squad, augmenting it with loan players is clearly not as necessary as it is for a team like ourselves, who with smaller squads can in the course of the season find ourselves really stretched through players picking up injuries.

The reality is that our over reliance on loan players, who did not return to us after New Year left our squad very depleted last season and I think was a major factor in our poor finish  in comparison with previous years.

If the loan player system is to work for us, we need the benefit to the sending club to be fairly balanced with the benefit to ourselves.

It can be a bit of a curse when loan players do so well that their parent clubs decide they do want them after all.

Happened to us last season with kai fotheringham. Was  probably our best player the first half of the season and we thought we had agreement to keep him until the end of  the season. However his performances convinced Utd he'd actually be useful to them in the run in. 

It's then difficult having to find another potential replacement on loan of the same quality.

Nobody hits on 100% so its likely the replacement won't have rhe same impact.

1 hour ago, Double t said:

Tickets for next week. Does a 16yr old get in on a concession ticket like all other clubs or do they need an adult . The Web site doesn't say. 

I was surprised that the information isn't on the website. It definitely used to be but I couldn't find it either.

If it isn't on their X (Twitter) or Facebook you could try emailing or calling the club...

Get in touch with the MFC team:
Tel: 01674 673200
Email: office@montrosefc.co.uk

15 minutes ago, Brummo said:

I was surprised that the information isn't on the website. It definitely used to be but I couldn't find it either.

If it isn't on their X (Twitter) or Facebook you could try emailing or calling the club...

Get in touch with the MFC team:
Tel: 01674 673200
Email: office@montrosefc.co.uk

Cheers. I've bought him a concession but will contact the club to check it's OK for him to use. 

Alright neebs.  Just passing by, might be moving to Mo' so possibly be seeing a lot more of me posting as I'd end up attending your games.

Do you guys have a shop - or more precise if possible - how do your kits size up?

10 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Alright neebs.  Just passing by, might be moving to Mo' so possibly be seeing a lot more of me posting as I'd end up attending your games.

Do you guys have a shop - or more precise if possible - how do your kits size up?

The club shop is normally just open on match days but they do have an online store where you can purchase,RJM sports Montrose FC stick that into Google and you will find it their.

The tops I'm led to believe are really small made a remember when I got my son a strip he was 4 at the time and the only one that would fit him was 6-7 strip pretty sure adult tops will be similar.

On 21/03/2024 at 12:05, Brummo said:

Apologies, I only mentioned Falkirk as they are the big fish at the moment. I have no idea how often your loan players feature. I simply made the point that if you already have a comparatively big squad, augmenting it with loan players is clearly not as necessary as it is for a team like ourselves, who with smaller squads can in the course of the season find ourselves really stretched through players picking up injuries.

The reality is that our over reliance on loan players, who did not return to us after New Year left our squad very depleted last season and I think was a major factor in our poor finish  in comparison with previous years.

If the loan player system is to work for us, we need the benefit to the sending club to be fairly balanced with the benefit to ourselves.

Get your point and probably agree with it. We don’t have a large squad at Falkirk anymore. What we have done more this season is move out players who weren’t getting a game (Lawal, Allan, McKay) and replace them with good loan signings (Ross, Tait) while augment other positions (Long, Bisland).  It is a double-edged sword - some loan signings don’t work - we’ve had a couple of the past few years.  Going back further, it’s also worked spectacularly well - Scmeichel, Stokes, McManus. You just rarely ever get to keep them when they’re good. 

Hi Montrose fans, coming up for the game on Saturday, we have tickets for the home end.  For a segregated match like this, do home fans enter by the main stand, or is it via the turnstiles at the covered terracing end where the wee car park is?

Also, any recommenced areas to park bearing in mind the big crowd?Don’t mind a 10/15 minute walk if it’s better parking a bit further away, not in any great rush after.

Thanks all.

18 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Hi Montrose fans, coming up for the game on Saturday, we have tickets for the home end.  For a segregated match like this, do home fans enter by the main stand, or is it via the turnstiles at the covered terracing end where the wee car park is?

Also, any recommenced areas to park bearing in mind the big crowd?Don’t mind a 10/15 minute walk if it’s better parking a bit further away, not in any great rush after.

Thanks all.

Aye, enter via Wellington Street and then you get into the main stand from there.

Anywhere along the Mid Links, from the Academy to the Tennis Courts,  should be fine for parking, depending on when you arrive. 

4 hours ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

Aye, enter via Wellington Street and then you get into the main stand from there.

Anywhere along the Mid Links, from the Academy to the Tennis Courts,  should be fine for parking, depending on when you arrive. 

Mid Links usually very chocka on match days. Is Whinfield Road not a better option for away fans?

There's also car parking near the skatepark on Traill Drive for people who like a walk and some fresh sea air!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/THyUJJbfDJ4xbRWs6

Edited by Brummo