Mighty Montrose FC Thread

12 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

Our startling lack of pace was exposed brutally today, especially with the centre back pairing of Quinn and Dillon we didn’t stand a chance. Personally I’m not convinced with Gill, there’s been a couple of goals past few weeks he could’ve done much better on so hopefully we bring in another gk this summer to make that position more competitive again. I think we need a CB that has a bit of pace for these type of games so we don’t just fold and obviously a new CM is needed.

12 hours ago, Brummo said:

From a Montrose fan's perspective, for me this evening was down there with the 0-9 roasting I witnessed at Easter Road back in the early noughties! Don't get me wrong, Falkirk were decent but I never thought we would fold like we did in the second half. Losing two goals within five minutes of the restart was a horror show. While it wouldn't be fair to lay the blame solely on Cammy Gill, he did not have a good game. At least Hester did score a decent goal following a sublime pass from Machado. If he hadn't, we would be on negative goal difference. A meagre crumb of comfort really.

A sore one.

Strange game to be at as a neutral, I thought that Falkirk might take their foot off the pedal after the Hamilton result, but I was way out there.

I’ll almost always take the goalkeeper’s side when they get stick, as usual the other 10 players get away with little criticism, but I fail to see what Cammy could have done with almost all of them, first goal apart.

The defending was comical at times, and players constantly giving the ball back to the opposition under little pressure, it’s what I have been watching at Cowdenbeath all season and does my head in.

I’ve watched the goals back this morning, and backs up my opinion at the game, some terrible defending and slack passing in the midfield, but I’m sure the goalie will take most the flak, as usual.

Apart from that, was able to spend a bit of time wandering around Montrose with the later start, really nice town, and your club looks to be well run and have strong foundations for the future.

Special day yesterday, fantastic hospitality from everyone involved with Montrose. Would love you guys to win the play-offs and join us, fantastic club.

Ach that was a hard one to take. We need to forget about that game as quick as we can. Fair play to Falkirk, that team is by far the best team I have seen in league 1 since we came up in 2018.

To be perfectly honest, I am quite surprised that we are still in with a chance of the play offs and the management team should get more credit than i think they are getting. We have an ageing team, a relatively poor midfield and we have had a number of injuries which has meant our bench for the last few months has been full of young lads. It's great that we still have something to play for the last few weeks but I would expect Alloa and Cove to get the two spots, hope to be proved wrong. 

1 hour ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Possibly just the champions tinted haze I'm in at the moment, but thought the hospitality from the town and the club yesterday was brilliant. It added to the already special day.

Hope you do come up in the playoffs because it's a fantastic away day. 

Neve heard of any bother which is good to hear,glad you enjoyed your day! Pubs and MFC hopefully made a good bit of cash.

5 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Neve heard of any bother which is good to hear,glad you enjoyed your day! Pubs and MFC hopefully made a good bit of cash.

Judging by the state of those around me, the pubs would have made a LOT of cash.

5 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:

Ach that was a hard one to take. We need to forget about that game as quick as we can. Fair play to Falkirk, that team is by far the best team I have seen in league 1 since we came up in 2018.

To be perfectly honest, I am quite surprised that we are still in with a chance of the play offs and the management team should get more credit than i think they are getting. We have an ageing team, a relatively poor midfield and we have had a number of injuries which has meant our bench for the last few months has been full of young lads. It's great that we still have something to play for the last few weeks but I would expect Alloa and Cove to get the two spots, hope to be proved wrong. 

If it’s any consolation, we’ve been threatening for weeks to give a good hiding to someone, unfortunately the game set itself up with the result of our rivals just before we kicked off, a very large away support, and the late live TV slot. Wouldn’t be too harsh on the Montrose players as we simply clicked all over with guys like Mackie who’s started less than half a dozen games, looking like he had ballet shoes on. When our top scorer doesn’t hit the net, when we’ve scored seven just sums up our day.

The town and people of Montrose were brilliant and people waving from their houses and town centre will live with many of the Falkirk people, forever. Sincerely hope you do well in your quest for the playoffs.

Watched the highlights again...awful viewing some of the goals we conceded were horrendous,so many individual errors which is not like us.I know 100% it was Falkirk day with the big crowd and already have won the league etc but it was still a sore one to take.

Will the lack of transfer activity in January come back to bite us in the ass?

12 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Watched the highlights again...awful viewing some of the goals we conceded were horrendous,so many individual errors which is not like us.I know 100% it was Falkirk day with the big crowd and already have won the league etc but it was still a sore one to take.

I reckon yous will go up still, out of all the teams I've seen this year, Montrose have impressed me the most. Just need to find some form going into the last 5 games. 

21 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I wouldn't back us to get many wins/points in the remaining games so you are still in pole position. Collectively this is as poor a Cove side I've seen in many years, it bleeds goals. Fyvie back has improved us but he cant do it all himself.

Both our sides, and Alloa, have tricky fixtures remaining and I can see whoever gets 4th limping across the line which isn't ideal going into the playoffs. 2nd to 9th all capable of taking points off each other and I expect that will continue.

Poor January transfer windows from both of us. Tough as it is to get players in, we both needed strengthening. To think the side we went up with, 26 games unbeaten to win the league still would have needed significant improvement to survive/level out in the league above.

Least you have a competent manager to perform some kind of rebuild. Clearly needs financial backing too which isn't easy to find

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

2nd to 9th all capable of taking points off each other

This is largely why predicting what will happen in the next five games is a bit futile.

But given the fixtures, I'd take a final day win-or-bust for 4th right now.

2 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

I reckon yous will go up still, out of all the teams I've seen this year, Montrose have impressed me the most. Just need to find some form going into the last 5 games. 

I can't see it myself but Football is a funny old game.

I reckon we might sneak into 4th spot but come up short.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I wouldn't back us to get many wins/points in the remaining games so you are still in pole position. Collectively this is as poor a Cove side I've seen in many years, it bleeds goals. Fyvie back has improved us but he cant do it all himself.

Both our sides, and Alloa, have tricky fixtures remaining and I can see whoever gets 4th limping across the line which isn't ideal going into the playoffs. 2nd to 9th all capable of taking points off each other and I expect that will continue.

Poor January transfer windows from both of us. Tough as it is to get players in, we both needed strengthening. To think the side we went up with, 26 games unbeaten to win the league still would have needed significant improvement to survive/level out in the league above.

Least you have a competent manager to perform some kind of rebuild. Clearly needs financial backing too which isn't easy to find

A mean we have done great so far with the squad we have had,Kerr and Terry are both big players for us and in my strongest starting 11 so that itself is a blow.We have a good side their with a blend of youth now which he seems to have a lot faith in,how many of them will make it who knows but it's refreshing to see.

Here's my take, with some working for my answers...

According to an away team Changing Room eavesdropper related to me by an inside source, the noise from the Falkirk team when they learned they had won the league was considerable. Having learned they were champions, McGlynn urges them to "play like champions". They are totally pumped up for the start of the match. The adrenaline is in full flow.

They emerge to fans who totally dominate the ground in ecstatic mood.

The TV cameras and crew are there to further emphasise this victory before a ball has even been kicked.

This is show time!

With a goal after 4 minutes, Falkirk get off to a flying start and but for a sublime moment from Machado and Hester, which proves to be the only glitch, the Falkirk team dominate the game.

When the teams emerge after the halftime break, both know the next goal is crucial. When Falkirk score on 47 minutes, the writing is on the wall, writing that two minutes later is made bold, underlined and maximum sized font, when Falkirk get their fifth.

After that, for the Mo, it's all about trying to avoid a total collapse, as Falkirk keep possession and eliminate any threat Montrose might have posed, scoring two further goals against what has become a run ragged, makeshift team, in which youngsters are brought off the bench, to gain experience, rather than have any prospect of turning things round.

The early evening kickoff game has from a Mo perspective morphed into a nightmare.

Instead of being the game when we rained on Falkirk's parade. We've become like the Christians thrown to the lions at the Coliseum, meekly devoured in an all too public spectacle courtesy of BBC Alba. (Watchable for a year on BBC iPlayer for any Mosochists out there.)

In a flashback to Easter Road in the 0-9 humiliation by the Hibees or the more recent nightmare playoff against Airdrie, I'm channeling Renton's words about "being Scottish" and applying them to "being a Montrose fan".

But here's the thing despite the rank horror of everything about Saturday for Montrose, I clutch onto these straws.

We could not have picked a worse game to play Falkirk. The circumstances aligning  contributed to it being a perfect storm.

Up until our last three games, we had been on a good run. We are in the position we are in because of decent performances over the season so far.

A decent team doesn't become a poor team overnight on the basis of one absolute nightmare game - even if it was the total opposite of what we were hoping for.

A good manager doesn't lose his way overnight either. Petrie put this team together. He has been accused of being "too loyal" and keeping players beyond their "use by" date but I cannot bring myself to believe that someone who has put this team together, which has been punching above its weight since it got promoted, is simply not capable of bringing in new players who will move things forward when existing players are no longer competitive. Do SP and Ross between them really not have the tools to do that?

I agree that if we play like we have been in our last three games, a playoff place would be wasted on us.

As SP said in his post match interview on Saturday, our season should not be defined by our matches against Falkirk. We have beaten Cove and Alloa and have matched Hamilton. Much depends on how the ninth placed team in the Championship ends the season and how much fight is left in them, come the playoffs. We were so close to seeing off Morton a few seasons back. It is a tall order but who is to say, we can't go further this time round?

We will definitely need a really big rebuild and reinforcement if the Championship dream were to become a reality.

But before that lads, get a result against Edinburgh, please.

Edited by Brummo

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

According to an away team Changing Room eavesdropper related to me by an inside source, the noise from the Falkirk team when they learned they had won the league was considerable. Having learned they were champions, McGlynn urges them to "play like champions". They are totally pumped up for the start of the match. The adrenaline is in full flow.

The TV cameras and crew are there to further emphasise this victory before a ball has even been kicked.

This is show time!

With a goal after 4 minutes, Falkirk get off to a flying start and but for a sublime moment from Machado and Hester, which proves to be the only glitch, the Falkirk team dominate the game.

When the teams emerge after the halftime break, both know the next goal is crucial. When Falkirk score on 47 minutes, the writing is on the wall, writing that two minutes later is made bold, underlined and maximum sized font, when Falkirk get their fifth.

After that, for the Mo, it's all about trying to avoid a total collapse, as Falkirk keep possession and eliminate any threat Montrose might have posed, scoring two further goals against what has become a run ragged, makeshift team, in which youngsters are brought off the bench, to gain experience, rather than have any prospect of turning things round.

The early evening kickoff game has from a Mo perspective morphed into a nightmare.

Instead of being the game when we rained on Falkirk's parade. We've become like the Christians thrown to the lions at the Coliseum, meekly devoured in an all too public spectacle courtesy of BBC Alba. (Watchable for a year on BBC iPlayer for any Mosochists out there.)

In a flashback to Easter Road in the 0-9 humiliation by the Hibees or the more recent nightmare playoff against Airdrie, I'm channeling Renton's words about "being Scottish" and applying them to "being a Montrose fan".

But here's the thing despite the rank horror of everything about Saturday for Montrose, I clutch onto these straws.

We could not have picked a worse game to play Falkirk. The circumstances aligning  contributed to it being a perfect storm.

Up until our last three games, we had been on a good run. We are in the position we are in because of decent performances over the season so far.

A decent team doesn't become a poor team overnight on the basis of one absolute nightmare game - even if it was the total opposite of what we were hoping for.

A good manager doesn't lose his way overnight either. Petrie put this team together. He has been accused of being "too loyal" and keeping players beyond their "use by" date but I cannot bring myself to believe that someone who has put this team together, which has been punching above its weight since it got promoted, is simply not capable of bringing in new players who will move things forward when existing players are no longer competitive. Do SP and Ross between them really not have the tools to do that?

I agree that if we play like we have been in our last three games, a playoff place would be wasted on us.

As SP said in his post match interview on Saturday, our season should not be defined by our matches against Falkirk. We have beaten Cove and Alloa and have matched Hamilton. Much depends on how the ninth placed team in the Championship ends the season and how much fight is left in them, come the playoffs. We were so close to seeing off Morton a few seasons back. It is a tall order but who is to say, we can't go further this time round?

We will definitely need a really big rebuild and reinforcement if the Championship dream were to become a reality.

Good post. As a Falkirk fan I certainly didn't expect to take 7 and could have been a few more of Montrose. Perfect Storm like you say, forget it, move on and get Cove out of those Playoff spots please.

On 01/04/2024 at 17:36, Brummo said:

This is show time!

Think perfect storm sums it up perfectly. Probably the worst I’ve seen Montrose play, but you will play so much better. Petrie was a manager we’d have taken over the past three seasons. Good luck in the remaining games. 

On 29/03/2024 at 12:47, tongue_tied_danny said:

Roo's Leap is probably the best restaurant in town... and it's not far from Links Park.

You may have to book a table though.

On 29/03/2024 at 13:31, mo83 said:

As mentioned Roos leap be decent for grub can't go wrong their.

Hadn't checked this thread pre-match but we ended up at Roo's Leap and I'd happily recommend it - decent spot for match parking as well.

Without wanting to sound patronising I wanted to echo the previous posts praising Montrose for their handling of the match and the general good will I felt pre and post match from the various locals I met.

Just opening the gates at the final whistle was more gracious than our own club would have been to a visiting support (they'd set-up crash barriers ahead of last weeks match against Edinburgh btw)

13 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Hadn't checked this thread pre-match but we ended up at Roo's Leap and I'd happily recommend it - decent spot for match parking as well.

Without wanting to sound patronising I wanted to echo the previous posts praising Montrose for their handling of the match and the general good will I felt pre and post match from the various locals I met.

Just opening the gates at the final whistle was more gracious than our own club would have been to a visiting support (they'd set-up crash barriers ahead of last weeks match against Edinburgh btw)

Glad you had a good experience in Montrose.

I did think with the amount of Falkirk fans heading through their may be a spot of bother but glad their was none to report and you all had a good time in various pubs around the town.

On 04/04/2024 at 13:47, mo83 said:

Glad you had a good experience in Montrose.

I did think with the amount of Falkirk fans heading through their may be a spot of bother but glad their was none to report and you all had a good time in various pubs around the town.

Just wondering why @MO7S would downvote this? 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Just wondering why @MO7S would downvote this? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Did I?  Either pished and I can't remember drinking or a fumble with my sausage fingers.  It was supposed to be a greenie.