Mighty Montrose FC Thread

3 hours ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

At least he isn't too cocky! (Less than a spadeful anyway! ;) )

Hopefully SP has done his homework too and figured out the best set up to cope with a team that is clearly firing on all cylinders at the moment.

I hope this will be a good match. We have improved a lot since our poor start but Falkirk will be a tough test.

(Just put that last bit in for the rubbernecking bairnies.)

7 hours ago, Brummo said:

At least he isn't too cocky! (Less than a spadeful anyway! ;) )

Hopefully SP has done his homework too and figured out the best set up to cope with a team that is clearly firing on all cylinders at the moment.

I hope this will be a good match. We have improved a lot since our poor start but Falkirk will be a tough test.

(Just put that last bit in for the rubbernecking bairnies.)

Not seen any of our fans taking anything for granted. 4-0 Bairns 😂

Decent performance today, despite the disappointment of losing what turned out to be the winning goal in the 94th minute. I had hoped we had salvaged a point, which on the basis of effort up front but especially in defence, I felt we deserved. Morrison caused us a fair bit of trouble but for the most part the Mo seemed well enough organised to deal with attack after attack. It was a screamer of a goal, although from the away end, it was difficult to see exactly what happened.

I hope Thomson our loanee from United recovers soon, as we could have done with his trickery in the final third today. Felt overall though that the team played well all over the park and our goals were both well taken and well worked in the run-up to them.

I also thought we took down a reasonable and vocal support.

Edited by Brummo
correction of mistake

• 2 weeks later...

Fifteen points after the first quarter, better than anything we achieved last season.

Excellent progress after a tricky start.

Can we improve further  in the second quarter ?  We play both Hamilton and Falkirk at home - must have a decent chance in those games given that we beat Dunfermline at home last season when they were going well.

Excellent first quarter if you ask me after the start we had did not have us on 15 points that's for sure after the first couple games.Loan boys have certainly added a bit of edge to the team I like the look of both of them Miller has a bit of drive about him that will get us up the park and Luke looks pretty steady at the back so far what I've seen if him.

Blair Lyons looks like a new player which is great to see,to think he was basically off to Forfar on loan to get game time until we sold Rory and we kept him...Turned out no too bad in the end long may it continue.

Free hit this weekend then hopefully we can take a good amount of Fans to cove to Cheer on the Mo!

I think letting Rory go has been the best bit of business we’ve done for a while. I said at the time that I wasn’t really that bothered about him leaving as it would allow us to play a system much more suited to the squad we have and it’s so far looking to be the case. 

I’ve never been a fan of Gardyne really, thought Aidan Quinn looked like an absolute waste of a jersey and thought the signing of Miller Thomson was daft, I think I’m just about ready to admit that I’ve been wrong on all 3 of them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2023 at 11:06, broomiesniper said:

favourable results at the weekend for us, being able to remain in 3rd spot without kicking a ball.

Anyone know if there has there been a rescheduled date confirmed for the Cove game?

Tuesday 14th November, 7.45pm KO

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/10/25/new-date-for-montrose-game/

Edited by CoveRangers1922

We move on from tonight thought we had a chance in the first half but just wasn't to be and Accies more clinical than us.

Terry Masson out for 6-9 months with an ACL injury is a big blow,we miss him in the middle of the park and crunching into tackles.We have plenty of creative midfielder player's but nobody now that Terry is out that can do the dirty work which is concerning for me.

Also thought tonight we really miss some extra help for Kane up top,as much as Batchelor needs time to get used to L1 football we need more options a loan or something like that.Kane runs his arse off all night but I don't think we have anyone else to really trouble the defenders once he does goes off.

12 hours ago, mo83 said:

We move on from tonight thought we had a chance in the first half but just wasn't to be and Accies more clinical than us.

Terry Masson out for 6-9 months with an ACL injury is a big blow,we miss him in the middle of the park and crunching into tackles.We have plenty of creative midfielder player's but nobody now that Terry is out that can do the dirty work which is concerning for me.

Also thought tonight we really miss some extra help for Kane up top,as much as Batchelor needs time to get used to L1 football we need more options a loan or something like that.Kane runs his arse off all night but I don't think we have anyone else to really trouble the defenders once he does goes off.

I looked at our bench last night and I thought there was no one that could win the game coming off the bench and that proved correct. It makes the decision to let CJ go even more bemusing. All in all we more than matched them in the 1st half but they went up a gear in the 2nd half and that was the difference between the teams.

15 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

I looked at our bench last night and I thought there was no one that could win the game coming off the bench and that proved correct. It makes the decision to let CJ go even more bemusing. All in all we more than matched them in the 1st half but they went up a gear in the 2nd half and that was the difference between the teams.

I felt we were very much still in it till we went 0-3 down. I thought we moved the ball around reasonably well but lacked clinical finishing in the final third. At the end of the day, I felt we hardly laid a glove on them and that is disappointing. The stats on BBC for what they’re worth show we had 1 shot on target to Hamilton’s 7. I don’t know how much of this was down to their defending or our poor finishing. What can’t be disputed is that all Hamilton’s goals were excellently taken. I don’t know if Gill could have done any better. The commentator did say that Dillon held back for their  first goal which opened up space for McGlynn to score.

I thought the coverage by BBC Alba was pretty meh. Typical favouring of “Big” full-time club and pundits who really hadn’t much of a clue about lower leagues: no surprise there. What I hadn’t expected was the horrendous breakdown in transmission. I don’t know what the problem was but its heartening to know that even the BBC seem subject to the same kind of frustrations as I have when trying to stream games. I really wasn’t expecting that.

I know that in Stewart Petrie’s words, Falkirk and Hamilton are “right good sides” but as a supporter I don’t want wins against them to be off the table as we bid to be in the playoff mix as “best of the rest”. Other than the momentary excitement, what is the point of being in the playoffs, if we don’t give ourselves a hope of progressing? The bottom line is we need to be at least second best in this league and better than the second worst team in the Championship. I guess that even being in them would be an improvement on last year, which was a poor one judging by the standards already set but I would dearly like us to achieve more punching above our weight, than just another stint of being the playoff’s “nearly men”.

Edited by Brummo
Reason enough

On 29/10/2023 at 18:12, Brummo said:

I felt we were very much still in it till we went 0-3 down. I thought we moved the ball around reasonably well but lacked clinical finishing in the final third. At the end of the day, I felt we hardly laid a glove on them and that is disappointing. The stats on BBC for what they’re worth show we had 1 shot on target to Hamilton’s 7. I don’t know how much of this was down to their defending or our poor finishing. What can’t be disputed is that all Hamilton’s goals were excellently taken. I don’t know if Gill could have done any better. The commentator did say that Dillon held back for their  first goal which opened up space for McGlynn to score.

I thought the coverage by BBC Alba was pretty meh. Typical favouring of “Big” full-time club and pundits who really hadn’t much of a clue about lower leagues: no surprise there. What I hadn’t expected was the horrendous breakdown in transmission. I don’t know what the problem was but its heartening to know that even the BBC seem subject to the same kind of frustrations as I have when trying to stream games. I really wasn’t expecting that.

I know that in Stewart Petrie’s words, Falkirk and Hamilton are “right good sides” but as a supporter I don’t want wins against them to be off the table as we bid to be in the playoff mix as “best of the rest”. Other than the momentary excitement, what is the point of being in the playoffs, if we don’t give ourselves a hope of progressing? The bottom line is we need to be at least second best in this league and better than the second worst team in the Championship. I guess that even being in them would be an improvement on last year, which was a poor one judging by the standards already set but I would dearly like us to achieve more punching above our weight, than just another stint of being the playoff’s “nearly men”.

On yesterday's showing where, particularly in the first 25 minutes and the last 25 minutes we were 'right at it', there seems good potential in this side with the blend of experience and youth and on their day we could have a decent chance in a play-off cup-tie situation.  So I'm keeping marginally more optimistic and at some point our run of play off 'bad luck' has to turn...

• 2 weeks later...