Mighty Montrose FC Thread

I think that Petrie still has too much of a project to complete at Montrose, wanting to go the next step and to try to replicate what Arbroath have done in the Chanpionship.  Seems a strong ambition and not yet time to give up on that, especially his current Montrose team is being put through a 'transition' phase, some of the older players being phased out, and new blood being found for the next big push.

Could not make it, how did we play yesterday ?  Comprehensive victory by the end and that is now 13 goals scored against EC this season in 3 games.

26 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Don’t think so, got a comfy day job i believe 

Yeah I've heard that he's meant to have a good job on the side which might be the reason he never goes full-time. He's always been a guy I've liked and he's definitely capable of a step up if he wanted to. Think it will be a big loss for Montrose whenever he does leave. 

4 hours ago, Mo-time said:

Could not make it, how did we play yesterday ?  Comprehensive victory by the end and that is now 13 goals scored against EC this season in 3 games.

Not at our finest, and game was fairly even until 2-0. In a way that didn't matter because yesterday was about getting in the hat by hook or by crook.

I'm not convinced SP would fancy the gig down the A92 just now - tribalism aside, A******h is only ever going to be a downward-trajectory since the top flight near miss a couple of seasons ago, so how does anyone define 'success' for them now? That job looks like a hiding to nothing.

Edited by Scorge

Arbroath have done very well, but how much further can they go without going Hybrid/Full time. They were so unlucky not to gain promotion to Premiership two seasons ago but was always going to be hard to sustain a high position in Champioship with part time squad. Stuart Malcolm being brought in weeks ago to Arbroath is an interesting dynamic for their next manager appointment as this is who Stewart wanted as  assistant when he was appointed our manager. I would prefer Stewart to stay but if he moves on then ready made replacement in Ross or Sean.

Edited by Judge

1 hour ago, maz1974 said:

I can't find anything in the Cups section of P&B, so asking here at our home thread....

Happy enough with Morton away? 

I think so. Not a glam. tie but potentially winnable. I remember we put Morton out of the cup after a replay at Links Park on Valentine's Day a good number of years ago. What a great night that was. (Followed up with the usual exit in the next round at the hands of Saint Johnstone.)

Also a good opportunity to avenge missing out in the playoffs to them in the last few minutes of extra time through a "f*cking fluke" corner, as it was described by our goalie.

Edited by Brummo
Why not?

22 hours ago, Scorge said:

Not at our finest, and game was fairly even until 2-0. In a way that didn't matter because yesterday was about getting in the hat by hook or by crook.

I'm not convinced SP would fancy the gig down the A92 just now - tribalism aside, A******h is only ever going to be a downward-trajectory since the top flight near miss a couple of seasons ago, so how does anyone define 'success' for them now? That job looks like a hiding to nothing.

Success for Arbroath is purely doing what Montrose are doing right now - being up there as one of if not the best part time club in the country whether that’s in League 1 or the Championship. That’s all.

Nobody here has incredibly high expectations, with the part time budget we will have that should be realistically achievable and expected. 

Dick has us in a pretty good position, there are definitely some problems needing solved in regards to squad balance - the reason he went is for numerous other things which have been done to death on our own thread. 

I don’t believe it will be SP however. I also kind of feel like he will be available somewhere down the line anyway. Everything runs its course.

So I would like to see us go for something outside of the box. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Success for Arbroath is purely doing what Montrose are doing right now - being up there as one of if not the best part time club in the country whether that’s in League 1 or the Championship. That’s all.

Nobody here has incredibly high expectations, with the part time budget we will have that should be realistically achievable and expected. 

Dick has us in a pretty good position, there are definitely some problems needing solved in regards to squad balance - the reason he went is for numerous other things which have been done to death on our own thread. 

I don’t believe it will be SP however. I also kind of feel like he will be available somewhere down the line anyway. Everything runs its course.

So I would like to see us go for something outside of the box. 

He did want Stuart Malcolm before he brought in Ross Campbell to be his No2..Does he leave thinking Montrose are in a good place with Ross Campbell, Dillo and Yano and Jump ship to be with Malcolm?I can't see it happening myself I've said on numerous occasions he will end up at Arbroath at some point in his career but just can't see it being this way direct from Montrose leaving etc to join our rivals.

22 minutes ago, mo83 said:

He did want Stuart Malcolm before he brought in Ross Campbell to be his No2..Does he leave thinking Montrose are in a good place with Ross Campbell, Dillo and Yano and Jump ship to be with Malcolm?I can't see it happening myself I've said on numerous occasions he will end up at Arbroath at some point in his career but just can't see it being this way direct from Montrose leaving etc to join our rivals.

Not sure SP sees eye to eye with everyone at Arbroath just now either…. I can’t see it at the moment. Although would be the ‘safest’ option out there if it did happen.

8 hours ago, Brummo said:

I think so. Not a glam. tie but potentially winnable. I remember we put Morton out of the cup after a replay at Links Park on Valentine's Day a good number of years ago. What a great night that was. (Followed up with the usual exit in the next round at the hands of Saint Johnstone.)

Also a good opportunity to avenge missing out in the playoffs to them in the last few minutes of extra time through a "f*cking fluke" corner, as it was described by our goalie.

Was that the night when Mark Haro ripped Morton apart with his long throw ins? 

I also recall a challenge cup semi final at Cappielow a couple of years before that. Kevin Keegan was there checking out Alex Mathie before signing him at Newcastle. 

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Was that the night when Mark Haro ripped Morton apart with his long throw ins? 

I also recall a challenge cup semi final at Cappielow a couple of years before that. Kevin Keegan was there checking out Alex Mathie before signing him at Newcastle. 

It was indeed the Haro era. Amazing throw-ins. As good as corners!

My only celebrity Mo-ment at Cappielow, was seeing Arthur Montford, the STV commentator emerging out of the loo, when I was going for a pee. (Not necessarily one to share with the grandkids.)

44 minutes ago, Brummo said:

It was indeed the Haro era. Amazing throw-ins. As good as corners!

My only celebrity Mo-ment at Cappielow, was seeing Arthur Montford, the STV commentator emerging out of the loo, when I was going for a pee. (Not necessarily one to share with the grandkids.)

I was very young but do remember little bits of the home game,am I right in saying the replay was like a day or two later or am I talking 💩.

26 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I was very young but do remember little bits of the home game,am I right in saying the replay was like a day or two later or am I talking 💩.

Game was in 95/96, 1-1 at Cappielow on 27 Jan followed by 3-2 win at Links Park. Can’t find date of replay unfortunately.

As you say we were shot down in flames by 2nd tier St. Johnstone in the following round, a 0-3 defeat.