Mighty Montrose FC Thread

14 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

With a few departures (e.g. Graham, Callaghan, Bachelor) that leaves room for at least a couple of new boys in. As well as the youngsters are progressing, in my opinion our priority is to sign a couple of more mature players. I know we have several older players as well but with youth and experience we also need a 'middle' age of mature player to add solidarity to the squad. I'm thinking of a target man who can hold the ball and feed it off as well as someone who can get on the end of crosses. The young lad we've signed from the University team might be Ok but I still think we need a more mature guy as we were sadly lacking that last season. I also think we need an attacking midfielder to play alongside Gardyne and Watson when he is fit. I saw a couple of such players playing for the Binos last season who could fit that slot and blend in with our existing squad. In terms of defence it depends on how Kerr Waddell is doing - if he is fit then great but if not we are a bit wafer thin and maybe another loan defender would suffice meantime.

In a nutshell my plan would go for more experience to help sustain another League 1 season until the youngsters are ready to fill the gaps. At present I don't think they are but bit by bit some will prove me wrong BUT some maybe won't.

One of our problems is that our experienced players are mostly mid-to-late 30s rather than late 20s/early 30s (Steeves the exception) , and our breakthrough prospects are kids.

We've a small cluster of players between those two categories - Lyons, Brown, Waddell, Quinn, Machado, Hester - but not really any demonstrative leaders in the middle of the park if the old boys are injured/suspended/rested.

I'd agree that we need one or two central players who can put their foot on the ball and try to keep some calm in the middle of the park; an alternative up front to Hester and Hermiston; a new right back; cover for left back; and another one or two centre backs to cover for Dillon, Quinn and Waddell.

17 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

You beat me to it Ludo , I was just about to ask the same as I’ve never saw him play before 

very impressed with Luke Graham, very strong and controlled player who played with more experience than his years.  His distribution was a bit dodgy to begin with but that really improved over the season.  He'll be a huge miss for us, unsure if he'll maybe still go on loan to a full time team next season?

17 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

With a few departures (e.g. Graham, Callaghan, Bachelor) that leaves room for at least a couple of new boys in. As well as the youngsters are progressing, in my opinion our priority is to sign a couple of more mature players. I know we have several older players as well but with youth and experience we also need a 'middle' age of mature player to add solidarity to the squad. I'm thinking of a target man who can hold the ball and feed it off as well as someone who can get on the end of crosses. The young lad we've signed from the University team might be Ok but I still think we need a more mature guy as we were sadly lacking that last season. I also think we need an attacking midfielder to play alongside Gardyne and Watson when he is fit. I saw a couple of such players playing for the Binos last season who could fit that slot and blend in with our existing squad. In terms of defence it depends on how Kerr Waddell is doing - if he is fit then great but if not we are a bit wafer thin and maybe another loan defender would suffice meantime.

In a nutshell my plan would go for more experience to help sustain another League 1 season until the youngsters are ready to fill the gaps. At present I don't think they are but bit by bit some will prove me wrong BUT some maybe won't.

60009329-3868773051.thumb.jpg.e765ec648f3316541afe4c8a6ac1be97.jpg

40 minutes ago, Brummo said:

The reek o' smoked fish just wafted its way back in here.

Compensation is seeing the back of the insufferables and their minion hordes.

Among a very decent support and club, you really do stand out like a sore thumb.

Posted (edited)
On 02/06/2024 at 16:19, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Among a very decent support and club, you really do stand out like a sore thumb.

Smeagol.jpg.9921c5c9c6e820459a2b9fae3021d71b.jpg

e.t.a. The idiom is "stick out like a sore thumb". If you come on other teams' threads just to insult individuals, you might at the very least do it properly.

Edited by Brummo
schooling central Scotland teams' fanboys

Friendly away to Spartans on July 6th. Tempted to take a trip down purely because it would be the first time seeing the 2 teams play and I’m gonna struggle to make any of the cup games. 

18 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Another signing from University...Welcome ⚽⚽⚽

Screenshot_20240605-160353.png

Seems like a good acquisition. 119 games at 23 years of age at a decent level and has been on the books of some big name clubs so I can’t wait to see him develop with us.

11 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Seems like a good acquisition. 119 games at 23 years of age at a decent level and has been on the books of some big name clubs so I can’t wait to see him develop with us.

University players have done well for us hope this another,looks like he was captain for HWU which is a good sign.

1 minute ago, mo83 said:

University players have done well for us hope this another,looks like he was captain for HWU which is a good sign.

The Mo will be on University Challenge at this rate. Great source to tap into for part-time clubs, if graduates are not looking to necessarily be full-time.

Wondering how the ICT shambles is going to play out and what impact it's going to have on the league next season.

Feel for their supporters as they've had to witness this slo-mo car crash caused by inept management.

Thankful for years of good vibes as a Mo fan and for the dedication of people who really do have the wellbeing of the club at heart.

... Does make for a quiet close season on P&B but I would rather have it that than turmoil a lot of other clubs seem to go through.

2 minutes ago, Brummo said:

The Mo will be on University Challenge at this rate. Great source to tap into for part-time clubs, if graduates are not looking to necessarily be full-time.

Wondering how the ICT shambles is going to play out and what impact it's going to have on the league next season.

Feel for their supporters as they've had to witness this slo-mo car crash caused by inept management.

Thankful for years of good vibes as a Mo fan and for the dedication of people who really do have the wellbeing of the club at heart.

... Does make for a quiet close season on P&B but I would rather have it that than turmoil a lot of other clubs seem to go through.

University challenge 😂😂😂 

Yeah ICT look like they will be in for a rough time,makes you thankful you have good local people on the board with the clubs best interest.

Still think getting Peter Davidson on board few years ago now has been a very smart move.

13 minutes ago, Brummo said:

The Mo will be on University Challenge at this rate....

Dunno about that but at least it's a starter for ten ...

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Dunno about that but at least it's a starter for ten ...

Tumbleweed.  But I'm sad enough to award you a greeny.

Statement out from the club today suggesting that we probably shouldn’t be holding our breath for any immediate signings. Most likely be after the cup games are out of the way and clubs are more open to loaning players out.

Glad to see the early bird season ticket offer has been extended as I’m waiting to hear about a change in role at work so can’t commit to buying one until that is confirmed either way. 

23 hours ago, Aidan said:

Statement out from the club today suggesting that we probably shouldn’t be holding our breath for any immediate signings. Most likely be after the cup games are out of the way and clubs are more open to loaning players out.

Glad to see the early bird season ticket offer has been extended as I’m waiting to hear about a change in role at work so can’t commit to buying one until that is confirmed either way. 

quite well known that funding is limited at the moment, ideally we need an extra 100 on each home gate.  Although we have 2 home games against Arbroath, that's still way down on what Falkirk, Dunfermline and the likes brought in

On 05/06/2024 at 16:29, mo83 said:

Another signing from University...Welcome ⚽⚽⚽

Screenshot_20240605-160353.png

Good luck to the lad in Mo colours - but, he doesn't look very big standing or sitting beside Ross. Still think we need an experienced striker who can act as a target man, hold the ball up for the others and a good header of the ball. Maybe a loan signing either towards the end of his career or a youngster who needs game time from a bigger club but who won't cost us too much bearing in mind our finances.